My magnesium deficiency seems to be so severe?

SuperStressed

Discovering the ways of magnesium bicarbonate water I thought I would try to raise my magnesium levels in an attempt to lower my all-consuming-anxiety.
I have tried Magnesium in the past: Chloride oil, glycinate, bisglycinate. They did nothing. Magnesium bicarbonate water seems like an easy way to experiment with high doses.

Hair anaylsis' in the past showed that my Magneisum was as low as 4.4 (30 - 120)

Heres the thing, I'm up to nearly 1500mg elemental magnesium per day + 40 drops of magnoil in DMSO, which is over 500mg of magnesium pidolate.

This high amount hasnt effected me in any way. Not mentally or physically. I've never been constipated to start with and this dose hasnt got me spray painting my toilet, it hasnt changed anything.

Has anyone heard of such high doses being needed to replenish cells? my plan is to keep raising in the short term, how don't I have diarrhea?

Im also taking Vitamin D as my levels are low (25)

I have ordered P-5-P to see if it helps with magnesium. I've started eating calcium rich foods. Currently getting 1500-2000mg calcium. I might go higher, hair analysis also showed im low in calcium.

Nebula

What’s your thyroid function like? Magnesium sufficiency is basically 100% tied to thyroid levels whether endogenous or exogenous.

yerrag

Unless your acid-base balance is acidic, taking magnesium bicarbonate is counterproductive. It alkalizes your body, and this will cause bicarbonate to be excreted, and along with that potassium will be excreted. In an alkaline state, the body will want to hold on to the H+ ion of carbonic acid. H+ gets resorbed into the blood in the tubule, and K+ is exchanged for it. So what goes into the collecting duct to be excreted is potassium and bicarbonate.

The percentage of magnesium in mag bicarb is only 16%. If you're taking say 400mg (maintenance dose only) of magnesium, you're already taking 2000mg, or 2g of bicarbonate. This amount of bicarbonate is equivalent to taking 2700mg of sodium bicarbonate.

So you have to know your acid-base balance before you decide on whether or not to take magnesium bicarbonate supplementation.

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

Unless your acid-base balance is acidic, taking magnesium bicarbonate is counterproductive. It alkalizes your body, and this will cause bicarbonate to be excreted, and along with that potassium will be excreted. In an alkaline state, the body will want to hold on to the H+ ion of carbonic acid. H+ gets resorbed into the blood in the tubule, and K+ is exchanged for it. So what goes into the collecting duct to be excreted is potassium and bicarbonate.

The percentage of magnesium in mag bicarb is only 16%. If you're taking say 400mg (maintenance dose only) of magnesium, you're already taking 2000mg, or 2g of bicarbonate. This amount of bicarbonate is equivalent to taking 2700mg of sodium bicarbonate.

So you have to know your acid-base balance before you decide on whether or not to take magnesium bicarbonate supplementation.
Is there an easy way to know my acid-base balance?

lampofred

You should check liver health and endotoxin. Magnesium is strongly related to thyroid function and not necessarily the amount you get in your diet, and endotoxin/poor liver can be major brakes on thyroid.

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

You should check liver health and endotoxin. Magnesium is strongly related to thyroid function and not necessarily the amount you get in your diet, and endotoxin/poor liver can be major brakes on thyroid.
I believe endotoxin will be high but I struggle with extremely intense anxiety and fear so dropping starch just sends me into a crisis. I'm desperate to find something that can calm me down and make changes easier.

lampofred

I believe endotoxin will be high but I struggle with extremely intense anxiety and fear so dropping starch just sends me into a crisis. I'm desperate to find something that can calm me down and make changes easier.

Coffee is both good for the liver and increases magnesium retention by boosting thyroid (as long as your blood sugar is high, so that it doesn't raise adrenaline), so increasing that might help. And I've never tried it but cocoa butter might have similar effects to coffee.

youngsinatra

Boron has been shown to be effective for improving mineral retention in general.
It‘s also recommended by a lot of health practitioners, that do HTMA.

How much salt do you consume?
Salt is so so so important for magnesium retention in my experience.
I know many people that either don‘t benefit from magnesium or even have very ugly side effects from it (anxiety, floating feeling, loss of motor balance), because they are low in sodium.
Taking magnesium with some sole water is good in my experience. It‘s basically just hyperconcentrated salt water - put a bunch of a clean salt into a glass of water until it does not dissolve anymore. Then just take 1/2 - 1 tbsp of that water with your magnesium supplement.

How‘s your copper status? Do you take K2 or other quinones? Supporting the ETC complexes might improve magnesium retention, which is highly needed in the final complex V of the ETC by binding with ATP, forming Mg-ATP.
I think this would be consistent with Ray‘s view that good metabolism is needed to keep magnesium.

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

Boron has been shown to be effective for improving mineral retention in general.
It‘s also recommended by a lot of health practitioners, that do HTMA.

How much salt do you consume?
Salt is so so so important for magnesium retention in my experience.
I know many people that either don‘t benefit from magnesium or even have very ugly side effects from it (anxiety, floating feeling, loss of motor balance), because they are low in sodium.
Taking magnesium with some sole water is good in my experience. It‘s basically just hyperconcentrated salt water - put a bunch of a clean salt into a glass of water until it does not dissolve anymore. Then just take 1/2 - 1 tbsp of that water with your magnesium supplement.

How‘s your copper status? Do you take K2 or other quinones? Supporting the ETC complexes might improve magnesium retention, which is highly needed in the final complex V of the ETC by binding with ATP, forming Mg-ATP.
I think this would be consistent with Ray‘s view that good metabolism is needed to keep magnesium.
On the hair analysis Boron is one of the only things that seemed to be in good range.

I consume 10-12g per day currently in salt. Would be hard to get higher without drinking salt water like you mentioned which is something that always made me gag.

On those hair tests copper is 10 (10-40). Struggle to eat Liver + Oysters but It's time to try Oysters again with hot sauce or something. maybe lemon juice, I will find a way to make it edible to me.

I do Take Kuinone MK4 every 3 days or so ill do 10mg oral and 10mg topical.

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

Coffee is both good for the liver and increases magnesium retention by boosting thyroid (as long as your blood sugar is high, so that it doesn't raise adrenaline), so increasing that might help. And I've never tried it but cocoa butter might have similar effects to coffee.
Recently added in Cappuccinos with every meal, I need to give this more time though. Good amount of magnesium in espresso I noticed

linx

Forum Supporter
I know vitamin D is supposed to promote magnesium retention but for me, whenever I supplement vitamin D (which I try to do because I'm quite low) I get exacerbated symptoms of mag deficiency (muscle cramps, anxiety, insomnia). I'll take literally 3 grams of elemental mag as glycinate (in addition to magnoil) and still have symptoms.

Ulysses

Good amount of magnesium in espresso I noticed
I don't understand why people believe this. All the data I've looked at on this subject shows the magnesium content of coffee is negligible.

Sefton10

I don't understand why people believe this. All the data I've looked at on this subject shows the magnesium content of coffee is negligible.
And is pretty much used up metabolising the coffee.

Ulysses

And is pretty much used up metabolising the coffee.
Plus drinking coffee with meals can prevent dietary magnesium from being absorbed.

I'm not arguing against drinking coffee, but I think it's much more accurate to say that drinking coffee will increase, rather than decrease, your need for magnesium

OP
SuperStressed

SuperStressed

I said espresso, the method of coffee matters. Go look how much mag is in just 1 shot of espresso on cronometer.com

if you have a few or more cappuccinos per day, its significant. Sometimes I have 2 shots in my cappuccino.... thats 50mg mag + the mag in milk.