My Kid Has A New Allergy To The Cat He's Been Sleeping With For 8 Years

Kehaar

Anyone have any experience managing cat allergies? My son is 15 and has developed a pretty bad allergy to his cat, but has been sleeping with her for years and doesn't want to stop. The allergy is new as of a couple of months ago.

I'd love some advice on cat allergy mitigation strategies.

zewe

I've used homeopathic remedies with great success. You can get them for animal hair/dander.

Malris

Anyone have any experience managing cat allergies? My son is 15 and has developed a pretty bad allergy to his cat, but has been sleeping with her for years and doesn't want to stop. The allergy is new as of a couple of months ago.

I'd love some advice on cat allergy mitigation strategies.

I had a cat when I was young, went without cats until grad school, then got two during grad school. Became allergic to them 2 years later.

Today, I use a very expensive air cleaner (Molekule) and keep the cats out of my bedroom because that’s what my wife wants to do.

At first, I took Zyrtec. It raised my BP, though, so I needed a different solution. Washing my sheets twice a week was enough to keep me from having to take allergy medicine. I suspect just making the bed every morning and changing the top blanket twice a week would be enough physical allergen reduction to keep from having symptoms. You could change pillowcases, too, since that’s where your son’s nose spends a lot of time!

A HEPA vacuum a couple times a week would be useful as well.

Jackrabbit

I have had great success with a product called sino fresh which is only sold online but it’s an antiseptic nasal spray. By the time I got to the end of my first bottle my allergies (seasonal) were gone, meanwhile people around me are still suffering. I tried practically everything else, from the steroid nasal sprays to Claritin all of which gave me only temporary relief.

xborg

When was his last vaccination? I ask because my birch pollen allergy, the only one I've ever had, developed the first spring after a shot and lasted 20 years before I cured it in one day with bee pollen. Nothing else we're exposed to messes with the immune system like vaccinations.

achillea

Almost every cat if not all have toxoplasmosis. Not wise to sleep with such a creature.

OP
K

Kehaar

Any idea of their vitamin D levels?
No, but he is outside all summer play tennis without sunscreen on his arms and legs. I'll have them check next time he has to give blood. Is low Vitamin D associated with allergies?

OP
K

Kehaar

I've used homeopathic remedies with great success. You can get them for animal hair/dander.
I'll have to look into this. Where do you get homeopathic remedies, online?

raypeatclips

No, but he is outside all summer play tennis without sunscreen on his arms and legs. I'll have them check next time he has to give blood. Is low Vitamin D associated with allergies?

Ray has recommended before vitamin D is related to summer allergies, such as hayfever. I am not sure to be honest if it is related to pet allergies, but suddenly developing it, when it wasn't there before, makes me wonder if something like that is involved.

OP
K

Kehaar

I had a cat when I was young, went without cats until grad school, then got two during grad school. Became allergic to them 2 years later.

Today, I use a very expensive air cleaner (Molekule) and keep the cats out of my bedroom because that’s what my wife wants to do.

At first, I took Zyrtec. It raised my BP, though, so I needed a different solution. Washing my sheets twice a week was enough to keep me from having to take allergy medicine. I suspect just making the bed every morning and changing the top blanket twice a week would be enough physical allergen reduction to keep from having symptoms. You could change pillowcases, too, since that’s where your son’s nose spends a lot of time!

A HEPA vacuum a couple times a week would be useful as well.
Thanks for this advise. I do plan to get an air purifier for his room. I'll look in Molekule. There are a lot of choices and it's hard to know which to pick. I definitely need to change his bedding more too. The cat hair is ridiculous, especially in summer. I don't let her in my room just to save my clothes.

I've given him a couple of zyrtec so far. Rubbing a little cypro on his chest seems to help too. I'm not sure which is safer for a young teen.

OP
K

Kehaar

When was his last vaccination? I ask because my birch pollen allergy, the only one I've ever had, developed the first spring after a shot and lasted 20 years before I cured it in one day with bee pollen. Nothing else we're exposed to messes with the immune system like vaccinations.
Interesting. He did get a Hep A vaccine in June, soon before this started. And now we are trying to decide about the HPV vaccine. So this is interesting. My kid wants the vaccine (he saw his grandmother go through tongue cancer) and I have reservations. Thanks for this info.

OP
K

Kehaar

I have had great success with a product called sino fresh which is only sold online but it’s an antiseptic nasal spray. By the time I got to the end of my first bottle my allergies (seasonal) were gone, meanwhile people around me are still suffering. I tried practically everything else, from the steroid nasal sprays to Claritin all of which gave me only temporary relief.
This is a good tip. I just looked it up and apparently it's homeopathic. It has 4.5 stars from 139 reviews on amazon. Right below it is XLEAR which is also a nasal spray and has xylitol. I know xylitol has been popular around here. I'll look into the reviews from both and maybe order one of these.

Malris

Thanks for this advise. I do plan to get an air purifier for his room. I'll look in Molekule. There are a lot of choices and it's hard to know which to pick. I definitely need to change his bedding more too. The cat hair is ridiculous, especially in summer. I don't let her in my room just to save my clothes.

I've given him a couple of zyrtec so far. Rubbing a little cypro on his chest seems to help too. I'm not sure which is safer for a young teen.
Cypro seems ok to me, more beneficial than not unless there’s a negative reaction. Haidut’s version really helped me sleep deeply for a while.

From what I’ve read, though, I think Dr. Peat
would say that staying away from supplements is generally better, depending on sourcing, adcipients, etc. Especially if a simple physical reduction of the allergens would do the trick. Heck, you could even try one of those giant sticky rollers, just roll his pillow and covers around his head every night before bed.

SOMO

First try cutting out gluten and other common allergens.

Make sure his bedding is clean.

Wash the cat more frequently.

Simple stuff before more drastic stuff but the OTC allergy meds are pretty benign and safe.
Caffeine and Quercetin are natural anti-histamines.

xborg

Interesting. He did get a Hep A vaccine in June, soon before this started. And now we are trying to decide about the HPV vaccine. So this is interesting. My kid wants the vaccine (he saw his grandmother go through tongue cancer) and I have reservations. Thanks for this info.
Now the cause of this sudden allergy has been confirmed. Allergies, even life-threatening ones, have been rising in lockstep with the escalating schedule of vaccines. We've all been relentlessly indoctrinated with the big-pharma propaganda from media, gov't and pharma-owned healthcare. I would recommend some careful and diligent study into the non-pharma side of the vaccine argument. If you knew how very toxic these things have become over the decades you would never go near them (aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, animal tissues and viruses , aborted human faetal tissue ...). HPV is a complete fraud. It doesn't work and has a high risk of catastrophic side-effects, and for a boy? (By the way it was the hep vaccine that caused my allergy. It woke me up and was the last vaccine I will ever take voluntarily.) The recent blockbuster film, "Vaxxed", would be a good place to start.

Now the cause of this sudden allergy has been confirmed. Allergies, even life-threatening ones, have been rising in lockstep with the escalating schedule of vaccines. We've all been relentlessly indoctrinated with the big-pharma propaganda from media, gov't and pharma-owned healthcare. I would recommend some careful and diligent study into the non-pharma side of the vaccine argument. If you knew how very toxic these things have become over the decades you would never go near them (aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, animal tissues and viruses , aborted human faetal tissue ...). HPV is a complete fraud. It doesn't work and has a high risk of catastrophic side-effects, and for a boy? (By the way it was the hep vaccine that caused my allergy. It woke me up and was the last vaccine I will ever take voluntarily.) The recent blockbuster film, "Vaxxed", would be a good place to start.
Yeah, vaccines are pretty terrible. I am almost positive it was all the vaccines I was injected with when I still was really young that caused the huge amount of allergies and other health issues that I still suffer from today( although I'm definitely moving towards the correct direction now and things are improving). At this point, it's just impossible to think that the goverment wants people to be well.

tankasnowgod

Robert Cathcart mentioned in this talk that higher gram sized doses of vitamin C essentially stopped his hay fever (basically right at the beginning of the talk)-

Also, when reading Linus Pauling's book, I came across this unique way to use vitamin C to fight off a cold, using it directly in the nose-

Vitamin C In Your Nose To Stop A Cold

Going back to the person who mentioned a Hepa filter, I have a friend that was allergic to cats (although is now living with one that he ISN'T allergic to), who discovered one night while staying a friends house with a cat that air conditioning also stopped his allergies.

If interested in putting everything together, a plan would be to minimize the allergens as much as possible, while loading up on Vitamin C systemically, and also applying C directly to the nasal cavity. Optimizing Vitamin D status might also be useful.

Makrosky

Robert Cathcart mentioned in this talk that higher gram sized doses of vitamin C essentially stopped his hay fever (basically right at the beginning of the talk)-

Also, when reading Linus Pauling's book, I came across this unique way to use vitamin C to fight off a cold, using it directly in the nose-

Vitamin C In Your Nose To Stop A Cold

Going back to the person who mentioned a Hepa filter, I have a friend that was allergic to cats (although is now living with one that he ISN'T allergic to), who discovered one night while staying a friends house with a cat that air conditioning also stopped his allergies.

If interested in putting everything together, a plan would be to minimize the allergens as much as possible, while loading up on Vitamin C systemically, and also applying C directly to the nasal cavity. Optimizing Vitamin D status might also be useful.

Back when I was allergic to cats, 2 grams of vitamin C prevented any allergic response to it.