My Journey To Optimal Health

OP
Cirion

Cirion

It sounds like this is what's happening for you. Keeping warm shuts down the adrenaline and makes you sleepy. I know people who keep their apartment at like 64 or less because they hate the heat and one of them was diagnosed with MS at like 17. She will not age well unless she changes a lot of things. Elderly typically can't tolerate cold or heat. I prefer just hot enough. But I can sleep very warm and be fine. My health tends to be better when I am not trying to keep my body warm.

I guess I'm confused then. One the one hand wearing warm clothes seems smart especially if you have low body temperature problems, on the other, you say you feel best without, so is it something I should be doing? Or is the whole warm clothes thing just an intervention technique until you can regulate things fine on your own (which that article seems to talk about, fixing your auto-regulation system).

How has your experience been with iodine? I ordered some lugols and have experimented the past two days or so at an extremely conservative dose. Always hard to speculate whether something is placebo or not, but i feel worse on it so far.

Honestly I have been making so many changes it is hard to isolate what is causing what anymore, and there are so many reasons to feel worse while starting it that it's too hard to diagnose without blood tests. I think I'm gonna do a bunch of tests soon myself, because I'm tired of just screwing around with what I call "F*** - around - itis" (a disorder where you just screw around hoping to find out what's the problem), lol. Need to do a hair analysis test, hormone test, iodine test, just to name a few.

In a way, I wouldn't disagree with the notion of warm clothing being a "cheat code" as you put it. Because artificially warming your body up won't necessarily make you more sensitive to thyroid hormone on a cellular level. Hypothyroidism is like diabetes in this regard. A diabetic's problem generally isn't the fact they aren't producing enough insulin, it's the fact their cells aren't sensitized to the insulin. Same thing with hypothyroidism in people with under active metabolisms. You generally produce enough hormone, the problem is somewhere along the pathway the hormone is becoming blocked by unresponsive cells. This can take place in various areas, like the liver, transport proteins, etc. Simply wearing warm clothes won't change this. Nonclinical, or subclinical rather speaking, is the most abundant and apparent form of hypothyroidism is America. It's the most dangerous too, because you could go to the doctor and have T4 and T3 levels checked and they would be perfectly normal.

So again, does that mean I should be wearing warm clothes a lot or not? I notice on Jack Kruse's site he seems to be a big fan of "Cold Therapy" which I don't know much about yet. On the one hand you have people promoting being in cold and eating a lot of metabolic foods to get the body good at raising body temp, on the other you have people saying you should focus on warm clothes. On the Low temp website Janelle linked earlier, it made it sound like some people may have to wear warm clothes for the rest of their lives, and I somehow can't help but think that seems wrong to me.

The idea of bringing temperature up by any means seems like a noble goal, and makes it sound like a temperature of 98.6 is the holy grail that solves all ails. I don't really disagree with that per-se, but if that's the only thing that is required for health, why not just turn your heat up to 100F and not have to eat or drink anything? You'd still die to malnutrition. Lol.

Last edited:

Jsaute21

I hear you. I have gotten to a point where my health has improved substantially since when i started this journey in late 2016. I have experimented with T3, prog, caffeine, preg, etc. They all help as long as i am adequately fueled. I can essentially predict the reaction I will encounter. Iodine however has given me a clear hypo reaction when i administer. I have only taken one drop each day, so nothing substantial but I get ADD & low metabolism symptoms. I am a little frustrated as Ray advises against its use. Every time I steer from his suggestions, i don't feel good lol. Sometimes I forget how much smarter he is than me, and everyone else.

You seem to be making great progress - but be careful with all of the supplements. Just makes things confusing.

InChristAlone

I guess I'm confused then. One the one hand wearing warm clothes seems smart especially if you have low body temperature problems, on the other, you say you feel best without, so is it something I should be doing? Or is the whole warm clothes thing just an intervention technique until you can regulate things fine on your own (which that article seems to talk about, fixing your auto-regulation system).

Honestly I have been making so many changes it is hard to isolate what is causing what anymore, and there are so many reasons to feel worse while starting it that it's too hard to diagnose without blood tests. I think I'm gonna do a bunch of tests soon myself, because I'm tired of just screwing around with what I call "F*** - around - itis" (a disorder where you just screw around hoping to find out what's the problem), lol. Need to do a hair analysis test, hormone test, iodine test, just to name a few.

So again, does that mean I should be wearing warm clothes a lot or not? I notice on Jack Kruse's site he seems to be a big fan of "Cold Therapy" which I don't know much about yet. On the one hand you have people promoting being in cold and eating a lot of metabolic foods to get the body good at raising body temp, on the other you have people saying you should focus on warm clothes. On the Low temp website Janelle linked earlier, it made it sound like some people may have to wear warm clothes for the rest of their lives, and I somehow can't help but think that seems wrong to me.
I'm sorry that was confusing, I corrected it to say my health tends to be better when it is easy to keep my body warm. Such as in spring and summer. I definitely will go out of my way to keep warm. I lived in a drafty house for 5 yrs, the winters there sucked. My bedroom would be 70 while the living room was 54. I was using all my energy to stay warm. It kept the fat off but I was miserable. Alert but miserable.

TeaRex14

The idea of bringing temperature up by any means seems like a noble goal, and makes it sound like a temperature of 98.6 is the holy grail that solves all ails. I don't really disagree with that per-se, but if that's the only thing that is required for health, why not just turn your heat up to 100F and not have to eat or drink anything? You'd still die to malnutrition. Lol.
The way I see it, I would think wearing warm clothes to increase body temps is merely a false reading. And in all actuality is probably taking away one of the most accurate indicators of hypothyroidism (i.e body temp reading). If you take away body temp then pulse rate is the only other indicator you'd have, well and carotenemia, but it can be highly inaccurate by itself (as well as pulse rate by itself). So in my opinion you'd need both a accurate basal body temp, and a resting pulse rate. If you're raising the body temp with things like clothes, heat, and hot showers you could be fooling yourself into believing your metabolism is working at a high rate, when in reality it's not. Just my two cents.

InChristAlone

The way I see it, I would think wearing warm clothes to increase body temps is merely a false reading. And in all actuality is probably taking away one of the most accurate indicators of hypothyroidism (i.e body temp reading). If you take away body temp then pulse rate is the only other indicator you'd have, well and carotenemia, but it can be highly inaccurate by itself (as well as pulse rate by itself). So in my opinion you'd need both a accurate basal body temp, and a resting pulse rate. If you're raising the body temp with things like clothes, heat, and hot showers you could be fooling yourself into believing your metabolism is working at a high rate, when in reality it's not. Just my two cents.
But how do you quantify that? I mean should I get a naked and turn the thermostat to 65 to be sure I'm not ''artificially keeping body temp up"? You forgot one of the most accurate signs of hypothyroidism is when the Achilles tendon reflex doesn't relax rapidly. Mine appears to work great. And I have pulse of 85 or more and 98.6 body temp, more in the summer when it is easy to boost metabolism. I use no thyroid, no caffeine. I could probably use thyroid instead of sweaters in the winter but I'd rather the sweater oh and also food. Haagen dazs makes me hot.

Also if someone can dress lightly even in 64 degrees but their pulse rate is 50 and they have erratic lower body temps... What does that mean? Because they are obviosuly producing heat but it's wasteful heat like a menopausal women with hot flashes.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I mean should I get a naked and turn the thermostat to 65 to be sure I'm not ''artificially keeping body temp up"?

Lol, this is funny because this is exactly what I am guilty of doing a lot of the times, that's how much I hate being hot. I think it's perfectly possible to wear little to nothing in cold weather, but the only way to do that in a healthy manner is to already have a fantastic metabolism that runs very hot, otherwise at best you'll go hypothyroid and at worst get hypothermia.

BTW last night even tho my temps and sleep quality didn't seem fantastic, I do think I made some strides now that I'm thinking about it, because I did have a few more nocturnal boners & a morning wood again today. My male functions don't seem to work unless I'm very low stress, so I guess, what we talked about previously must be the answer (getting warm, lowering stress, inducing sleepiness/fatigue).

Because I think it is not helpful to keep the male organs too warm, I had a unique setup last night. I kept everything above the belt super warm, but wore basically nothing below the belt, but did sleep in a sleeping bag, such that there was some warm covering down there, but with most of the warm covering where I believe its most needed (torso).

I'm sorry that was confusing, I corrected it to say my health tends to be better when it is easy to keep my body warm. Such as in spring and summer. I definitely will go out of my way to keep warm. I lived in a drafty house for 5 yrs, the winters there sucked. My bedroom would be 70 while the living room was 54. I was using all my energy to stay warm. It kept the fat off but I was miserable. Alert but miserable.

Thanks for the clarification Janelle! I appreciate all the responses, it has been helpful.

I hear you. I have gotten to a point where my health has improved substantially since when i started this journey in late 2016. I have experimented with T3, prog, caffeine, preg, etc. They all help as long as i am adequately fueled. I can essentially predict the reaction I will encounter. Iodine however has given me a clear hypo reaction when i administer. I have only taken one drop each day, so nothing substantial but I get ADD & low metabolism symptoms. I am a little frustrated as Ray advises against its use. Every time I steer from his suggestions, i don't feel good lol. Sometimes I forget how much smarter he is than me, and everyone else.

You seem to be making great progress - but be careful with all of the supplements. Just makes things confusing.

Iodine is a tricky subject, at the end of the day if you aren't comfortable with it I recommend seeing a holistic Dr. who is experienced with Iodine and can guide you to the proper dosage etc. That said, it seems to be extremely common (ie, almost everyone) to see a rise in TSH after starting an Iodine protocol. A high TSH can certainly bring on temporary hypo symptoms like fatigue and other fun things. This is supposed to go away after several months of dosing. Supposedly this happens because TSH is required to start synthesizing NIS (the transport vehicle for distributing Iodine throughout the body, as every cell in the body uses it, some more than others (such as the thyroid, breasts, and many other organs). Hypo like symptoms may also occur because you're detoxing from heavy metals and/or toxic halides. You may also have nutrient deficiencies. Finally, there is the small chance you may have an adverse reaction due to some other reason that is a lot rarer (such as a hot thyroid nodule). Without labs and a Dr. who knows what he is doing, it may be hard to figure out.

Last edited:

TeaRex14

But how do you quantify that? I mean should I get a naked and turn the thermostat to 65 to be sure I'm not ''artificially keeping body temp up"? You forgot one of the most accurate signs of hypothyroidism is when the Achilles tendon reflex doesn't relax rapidly. Mine appears to work great. And I have pulse of 85 or more and 98.6 body temp, more in the summer when it is easy to boost metabolism. I use no thyroid, no caffeine. I could probably use thyroid instead of sweaters in the winter but I'd rather the sweater oh and also food. Haagen dazs makes me hot.

Also if someone can dress lightly even in 64 degrees but their pulse rate is 50 and they have erratic lower body temps... What does that mean? Because they are obviosuly producing heat but it's wasteful heat like a menopausal women with hot flashes.
Just wear normal clothing at room temperature (i.e 68-72 degrees). As far as what deems as "normal clothing" for me it's typically jeans and a short sleeve polo shirt. Anything that isn't sweaters, coats, etc. Haagen dazs should generally make anyone hot, provided they aren't deficient in salt. It's important to pay attention to the signs your body is producing. If thermogenic substances like salt, calcium, thyroid, caffeine, etc. are warming you up, it's very likely due to the fact your metabolism is low. And if metabolism is low, an artificial increase in tempature won't really help. Besides the fact it might make you more comfortable of course.

InChristAlone

Just wear normal clothing at room temperature (i.e 68-72 degrees). As far as what deems as "normal clothing" for me it's typically jeans and a short sleeve polo shirt. Anything that isn't sweaters, coats, etc. Haagen dazs should generally make anyone hot, provided they aren't deficient in salt. It's important to pay attention to the signs your body is producing. If thermogenic substances like salt, calcium, thyroid, caffeine, etc. are warming you up, it's very likely due to the fact your metabolism is low. And if metabolism is low, an artificial increase in tempature won't really help. Besides the fact it might make you more comfortable of course.
I'm not understanding where you are going with this. Are you saying even if you don't eat you should have high metabolism? That seems dangerous to me. The body naturally will down regulate metabolism if food intake is low so you don't kill yourself. The ability to stay warm in room temperature is a good thing, but doesn't really tell us much. Peat says to look at body temp and pulse and warmth of toes and nose. Also Achilles reflex.

TeaRex14

I'm not understanding where you are going with this. Are you saying even if you don't eat you should have high metabolism? That seems dangerous to me. The body naturally will down regulate metabolism if food intake is low so you don't kill yourself. The ability to stay warm in room temperature is a good thing, but doesn't really tell us much. Peat says to look at body temp and pulse and warmth of toes and nose. Also Achilles reflex.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you probably shouldn't use clothing to artificially raise your temperature because it's not increasing metabolic function. Reaching 98.6 degrees with thick warm clothes on is very different from reaching 98.6 by increasing your metabolism. Yes, the Achilles reflex is one of the indicators (forgot to mention that one in my earlier post).

InChristAlone

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you probably shouldn't use clothing to artificially raise your temperature because it's not increasing metabolic function. Reaching 98.6 degrees with thick warm clothes on is very different from reaching 98.6 by increasing your metabolism. Yes, the Achilles reflex is one of the indicators (forgot to mention that one in my earlier post).
Ok so I wanted to test your theory I sst in 69 degree room without clothes for an hr. Beforehand my temp was 98.8 after it was 99.1 not what I was expecting for sure. But I'm not back to health yet after being sick and I haven't eaten much today.

TeaRex14

Ok so I wanted to test your theory I sst in 69 degree room without clothes for an hr. Beforehand my temp was 98.8 after it was 99.1 not what I was expecting for sure. But I'm not back to health yet after being sick and I haven't eaten much today.
So, if I understand this correctly, your temps are 98.6 or higher, pulse 85, and your Achilles reflex is normal? It sounds like you don't even have hypothyroidism. Just make sure you get good nutrition and you'll probably be fine.

InChristAlone

So, if I understand this correctly, your temps are 98.6 or higher, pulse 85, and your Achilles reflex is normal? It sounds like you don't even have hypothyroidism. Just make sure you get good nutrition and you'll probably be fine.
No probably not. But I think most people only have secondary hypothyroidism and then they can control their condition by doing a lot of the Peat principles (not a prescribed diet) and regulating their blood sugar and they too can be healthy. There is also an emotional component. So if the mental anguish is great and someone is not living their truth then their health will reflect that.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

So far I'm not happy about my experiment with warm clothes at least at night. I think I'm keeping too warm honestly, which may be part of the problem. I say that because my night temperature was like 97.9 yesterday, and my waking 98, basically the same as each other... and I have to eat stupid high amounts of calories at night, almost seems like my calorie needs have increased. We're talking like 1500 extra calories on top of dinner, to last the night. I feel like I'm so jacked up. Today woke up with the worst energy/mood I have had in a long time. One of those days where you feel like calling in sick just so you can go back to bed. I woke up very energetic at like 2 am, presumably high adrenaline, but I dunno because it felt good? Normally when I wake up due to stress it doesn't feel good. But then back to bed and felt horrible waking up at 7.

I'm starting to feel at a complete loss at getting my sleep right. No matter what I do I can't seem to fix my sleep problems, and it's such a vicious cycle because the only way to fix sleep problems is to have a good thyroid but the only way to have a good thyroid is to fix your sleep... what to do?? I am tired of being tired as they say...

I can get some decent sleep on the weekends often-times but only because I can sleep in as long as I want. My best sleep often happens between 6 am and noon but I usually get little or no sleep between these hours due to work.

InChristAlone

So far I'm not happy about my experiment with warm clothes at least at night. I think I'm keeping too warm honestly, which may be part of the problem. I say that because my night temperature was like 97.9 yesterday, and my waking 98, basically the same as each other... and I have to eat stupid high amounts of calories at night, almost seems like my calorie needs have increased. We're talking like 1500 extra calories on top of dinner, to last the night. I feel like I'm so jacked up. Today woke up with the worst energy/mood I have had in a long time. One of those days where you feel like calling in sick just so you can go back to bed. I woke up very energetic at like 2 am, presumably high adrenaline, but I dunno because it felt good? Normally when I wake up due to stress it doesn't feel good. But then back to bed and felt horrible waking up at 7.

I'm starting to feel at a complete loss at getting my sleep right. No matter what I do I can't seem to fix my sleep problems, and it's such a vicious cycle because the only way to fix sleep problems is to have a good thyroid but the only way to have a good thyroid is to fix your sleep... what to do?? I am tired of being tired as they say...

I can get some decent sleep on the weekends often-times but only because I can sleep in as long as I want. My best sleep often happens between 6 am and noon but I usually get little or no sleep between these hours due to work.
I was under the impression that you were trying to get your basal body temp up but sounds like you have no problem there! How has your sleep changed since being on high dose iodine?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

My temps and pulses are fine, except for waking temps and pulse. What I'm trying to improve is my waking temp. My waking temp tends to correspond to better morning energy for me. If I'm around 98 or less, I feel really bad. Like today. My mornings usually aren't good unless I'm at least 98.4 upon waking which very rarely occurs. I am convinced it is sleep holding me back at this point. Every time I can sleep in, my waking temp is higher. Like last Saturday. I slept a super long time. Woke up with 98.5F temp and felt great.

Same with my long thanksgiving break. I felt like my sleep was better each day because each day I could sleep in. And then I lost any progress I had made as soon as I had to go to work again.

If indeed it is "normal" to wake up with a temp between as low as 97.8F then maybe temperature isn't the problem??

I guess I was under the impression that good temps and pulse means healing is occurring. If that's true why do I feel like I've reached an upside U in my recovery process where now I'm feeling worse and worse?

You make a good comment on the Iodine also. As I research more and more I realize how the elevated TSH that occurs when starting a high dose Iodine can really be detrimental. I still think Iodine supplementation is very valuable, but I'm now starting to realize it may only be smart to mega dose Iodine if you are under the close supervision of a Dr. who knows what he is doing and can course correct you. As such, I may discontinue Iodine use (for now) and wait until I get a Dr. / or at least tests done to see what my #'s are before I continue it.

My sleep was bad before Iodine intake though too.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

A few things I'm going to try / some notes:

* I think I may very well be Choline deficient. Read a great article by Chris Masterjohn on Choline deficiency & fatty liver. I've noticed I have had intense cravings for haagen dazs ice cream lately, even more than usualy. I had like 2 pints of it yesterday. Well, guess what. Haagen dazs is made with egg yolks - Choline. Sometimes the body and what it craves is an excellent indicator as to what we need... sure ice cream is also nice because of its smooth sugary texture, but I think its more than that, because there is plenty of other things out there that are sweet that I don't like nearly as much as haagen dazs lol. Time to bring back eggs as a staple. On that note I also find myself desiring tons of maple syrup lately, which leads me to believe I also have manganese deficiencies. I am totally addicted to Tea plus maple syrup, so good.

* Nate says that I need dietary Sulfate (which can be manufactured via dietary sulfur plus sunlight (or red light)) - he says he uses organic onion powder for that

* I think I've been dehydrated. I took things too far to the extreme of "don't drink water ever". I tested this theory, and noticed that some of my fatigue went away immediately upon drinking some water. It might help explain why I'm super fatigued in the morning even after two coffees (could be dehydrating myself further, with no glass of water). As long as I dress warmly enough, the temperature drop from cold ish water doesn't seem to be a problem and I can bounce back up to 98.6+F just fine. Time to drink more water it seems like.

* I think I may actually be Iron deficient, I have various reasons for thinking so. Probably going to do a test sometime to check ferritin levels.

* Aspirin before bed, read a few posts here to suggest this may help quality of sleep

* High dose activated charcoal (up to 50G) to clear out the gut of bacteria

* Gonna do no caffeine over the weekend to try to clear up some adrenal fatigue (wasn't gonna try this during the workweek since I know tonight I'll need tons of sleep to combat the caffeine crash)

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Sleep really does seem to be king just like I have been saying all along. That and avoiding caffeine, it now seems apparent to me.

I slept till past 11 am today, woke up pretty easily, & avoided caffeine and got my temp up to 99F even without it, which proves to me caffeine is not needed to bring temps up. Just had some eggs, honey, tea w/ maple syrup. My hunger also seems reduced which no doubt will help with weight management. My energy levels definitely seem more stable as well without the yo-yo of energy when I am on caffeine.

I'm also about to order some grounding products and see how they work out for me. Directly from earthing.com, as they seem to be the only reputable suppliers.

I'm also dosing Vitamin C heavily since I got my bulk ascorbic acid powder. I'm doing 16-24 grams a day now. I seem to crave vitamin C which must mean I really do need it. It has a distinct "addictive" sweet taste that goes so well with tea lol

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

I managed to catch a cold that got me most of this week. Joy. Although the hidden blessing is my weight on the scale actually reversed somewhat, which gives me some hope for the future. It had been increasing constantly for over 2 months, so to not only stop, but reverse, is a huge milestone for me. No doubt in part due to not eating much from the cold, but it was around 5-7 lbs of loss, which means I may be finally starting to rid myself of bloat (I'm not kidding myself to think I lost 5-7 lb of fat, but 5-7 lb of water loss is still significant).

Have been focusing on lots of liquids, salt, calcium. Plenty of liquids seem to be fine as long as A.) you keep temps up and B.) you keep electrolytes (salt) up. I drink liquids until my urine is clear now. But my temps still remain 98.6+ always especially during the cold I've been having. I believe the increase in liquids AND electrolytes has helped to aid water loss. Because water tends to promote estrogen and thus fat gain, losing water will help me to lose this fat.

I also received my earthing products. Too early to say, but they definitely do something, whether its good or not remains to be seen. My feet tingle when I use the mat next to my PC, and while I felt some inflammation response in my back while sleeping on the mattress product, I managed to fall asleep for 7 straight hours without waking up to urinate (a first for me especially when you consider my increased fluid intake which in the past would make me wake up every 1-2 hr). So we shall see.

I have determined that I have to get to a warm/sunny beach somewhere to really 100% heal, so I've redoubled my efforts to find a job in florida (as there are plenty of aerospace jobs there, which is my industry). I prefer not to go to california due to the living expenses there. I prefer to switch companies to get a big pay raise but at this point I'll settle for remaining with my current company if necessary and if they have jobs down there, as it'll be easier probably to remain in the company when it comes to interviewing.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I managed to catch a cold that got me most of this week. Joy. Although the hidden blessing is my weight on the scale actually reversed somewhat, which gives me some hope for the future. It had been increasing constantly for over 2 months, so to not only stop, but reverse, is a huge milestone for me. No doubt in part due to not eating much from the cold, but it was around 5-7 lbs of loss, which means I may be finally starting to rid myself of bloat (I'm not kidding myself to think I lost 5-7 lb of fat, but 5-7 lb of water loss is still significant).

Have been focusing on lots of liquids, salt, calcium. Plenty of liquids seem to be fine as long as A.) you keep temps up and B.) you keep electrolytes (salt) up. I drink liquids until my urine is clear now. But my temps still remain 98.6+ always especially during the cold I've been having. I believe the increase in liquids AND electrolytes has helped to aid water loss. Because water tends to promote estrogen and thus fat gain, losing water will help me to lose this fat.

I also received my earthing products. Too early to say, but they definitely do something, whether its good or not remains to be seen. My feet tingle when I use the mat next to my PC, and while I felt some inflammation response in my back while sleeping on the mattress product, I managed to fall asleep for 7 straight hours without waking up to urinate (a first for me especially when you consider my increased fluid intake which in the past would make me wake up every 1-2 hr). So we shall see.

I have determined that I have to get to a warm/sunny beach somewhere to really 100% heal, so I've redoubled my efforts to find a job in florida (as there are plenty of aerospace jobs there, which is my industry). I prefer not to go to california due to the living expenses there. I prefer to switch companies to get a big pay raise but at this point I'll settle for remaining with my current company if necessary and if they have jobs down there, as it'll be easier probably to remain in the company when it comes to interviewing.
I'm with you on moving to Florida! We are done with winter in the Midwest. My ability to handle 90 degrees is way higher than 20. For a lot of people it is the opposite. We are most likely moving there in a couple months. I can't wait! Good luck.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

What state are you from, I forget?

Any chance I could rent a room in your house until I get my own place in FL?? Lol, joking mostly.

The thing is that down there is the only way to reliably get sun and barefoot on the ground just about every day of the year. It's just dreadful trying to recover from hypo in the dead of winter in the midwest as you well know.