My First Successful Broth

OP
M

mamaherrera

I don't usually use shin beef as such posted above. But on occasions when I have, I'd pull the meat off when it was tender enough and turn it into stew, then keep cooking the remaining bones for a bit longer. Same with whatever other meat.
I just get what I find in the shop - whatever looks the gristliest (is this a word:)), and use one cut in a pot every few days. I don't find knuckles so often. I like them for the high gelatin, but I don't like the high fat content, so I don't always eat all the meat from them because it's hard to separate out from the meat. I love chewing on the soft gristly bits though.

But you could do what you want - keep the meat in the soup, or eat it separately, or not at all, depending on your needs and tastes.

Peat has not recommended simmering for 24 hrs AFAIK - 2-3 hours more like.
ANd TAra: do you get your broth to get if you only simmer for 3 hours?

With one slice of shank I have to reduce to less than a quart if I want gelling. It really doesn't matter how much water you start with (just don't let it burn). Remember that if you start with cold water all the flavor will be in the water, if you start with hot water the flavor will stay in the meat.

tara

ANd TAra: do you get your broth to get if you only simmer for 3 hours?
Varies depending on which bones, how much water etc. I usually get some gelling, sometimes quite stiff, occasionally miss and hardly gels at all.

tara

I usually cram bones into pot as tight as possible, and more or less cover with water. How gelled it gets depends on how much collagen is in there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals