My Experience With CO2 - My Routine, Knowledge, And Questions

fever257

Hey everyone,

Just wanna preface this by saying please bare with me as I do have a few questions.

so in Danny's weblogs, Ray has said that moving to a high elevation (which has high CO2 air content) is the best thing that one can do for their health. We know the CO2 automatically raises the metabolic rate - optimizing thyroid function and hormone profiles (like progesterone, specifically.)

In my experience, I've dabbled in bag breathing - for various periods, and have felt somewhat good to pretty good.

However, most recently, I learned about @haidut 's "CO2 tank" method, which involves cutting a quarter-sized hole in the bottom of an empty gallon container and breathing through the top, and then storing the container (daily) upside-down in order to settle the CO2 in the bottom of the container(because CO2 is heavier than air).

Since doing this, I've noticed small increases in temperatures. But beyond that, a couple more profound things have happened, and I apologize if this is TMI, but I really believe it to pertinent and valuable information.

First, i've noticed that my hair has come back in further than before, almost to complete regrowth from any lost areas. This anecdotal evidence completely supports Danny Roddy's hypothesis that CO2 is the "missing conductor" of hair loss. Additionally, given my history with Rogaine (~3 years, likely damaging my vascular system by increasing Nitric Oxide :/ ) I think that CO2 was definitely impaired or deranged. Additionally, I can feel blood pumping in my head more - especially in the frontal lobe. So for me, I believe that CO2 has been very beneficial for my vascular system. Last, I've noticed a huge positive impact on my erections - I am firmer, larger, just all-around so much better and that's been such a relief since I got really messed up from taking finasteride.

My routine with the CO2 tank is to breath in it for twenty minutes, 1-2x daily. I think people might think this is excessive, but perhaps for someone like me - with a long history of N. O. damage, it is appropriate. Additionally, I've never experienced any negative side effects from doing it - with the bag breathing, I would sometimes have discomfort or trouble breathing in it (which i know induces a stress response), but with the tank, nothing, ever. But how would i know if I've done too much or too little?

That brings me to my next question, I have a pulse counter thing for my finger which also measures "blood oxygen saturation". I've only ever gotten 98%, 99%, or 100%. I read somewhere that Peat feels best when his is at 89%. Should i ramp up the tank breathing until I go lower? Or should I invest in a capnometer if the pulse recorder isn't an accurate metric? These are my most important questions.

So with that being said, is my current technique appropriate or helpful for my system? so far, it seems to be.

Finally, right before I began the CO2 routine, I got 138 as my top number for BP. I was told this is high. Is optimizing CO2 good for remedying it?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback and I look forward to discussing!

Happy Peating!

best,
Fever

Last edited:

Vinny

Hey everyone,

Just wanna preface this by saying please bare with me as I do have a few questions.

so in Danny's weblogs, Ray has said that moving to a high elevation (which has high CO2 air content) is the best thing that one can do for their health. We know the CO2 automatically raises the metabolic rate - optimizing thyroid function and hormone profiles (like progesterone, specifically.)

In my experience, I've dabbled in bag breathing - for various periods, and have felt somewhat good to pretty good.

However, most recently, I learned about @haidut 's "CO2 tank" method, which involves cutting a quarter-sized hole in the bottom of an empty gallon container and breathing through the top, and then storing the container (daily) upside-down in order to settle the CO2 in the bottom of the container(because CO2 is heavier than air).

Since doing this, I've noticed small increases in temperatures. But beyond that, a couple more profound things have happened, and I apologize if this is TMI, but I really believe it to pertinent and valuable information.

First, i've noticed that my hair has come back in further than before, almost to complete regrowth from any lost areas. This anecdotal evidence completely supports Danny Roddy's hypothesis that CO2 is the "missing conductor" of hair loss. Additionally, given my history with Rogaine (~3 years, likely damaging my vascular system by increasing Nitric Oxide :/ ) I think that CO2 was definitely impaired or deranged. Additionally, I can feel blood pumping in my head more - especially in the frontal lobe. So for me, I believe that CO2 has been very beneficial for my vascular system.

My routine with the CO2 tank is to breath in it for twenty minutes, 1-2x daily. I think people might think this is excessive, but perhaps for someone like me - with a long history of N. O. damage, it is appropriate. Additionally, I've never experienced any negative side effects from doing it - with the bag breathing, I would sometimes have discomfort or trouble breathing in it (which i know induces a stress response), but with the tank, nothing, ever. But how would i know if I've done too much or too little?

That brings me to my next question, I have a pulse counter thing for my finger which also measures "blood oxygen saturation". I've only ever gotten 98%, 99%, or 100%. I read somewhere that Peat feels best when his is at 89%. Should i ramp up the tank breathing until I go lower? Or should I invest in a capnometer if the pulse recorder isn't an accurate metric? These are my most important questions.

So with that being said, is my current technique appropriate or helpful for my system? so far, it seems to be.

Finally, right before I began the CO2 routine, I got 138 as my top number for BP. I was told this is high. Is optimizing CO2 good for remedying it?

Happy Peating!

best,
Fever
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
I've got very little to say about CO2 breathing so far. Can you direct me to the haidut's article about the container?

OP
fever257

fever257

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
I've got very little to say about CO2 breathing so far. Can you direct me to the haidut's article about the container?

Hey so i didn’t find the info on the CO2 tank from a post. i got it from danny’s webisode thingies i don’t even know what to call them. but yeah i’m pretty sure it’s #28 w/ Ray and georgi(haidut).

revenant

I don't quite understand the method here, can you maybe draw a picture or something? So you just breath normally in/out with your mouth on the container as if you were drinking from it, with the hole in the bottom uncovered, and when you're done put it upside down on a table, with the cork on or off and the hole uncovered or covered?

OP
fever257

fever257

I don't quite understand the method here, can you maybe draw a picture or something? So you just breath normally in/out with your mouth on the container as if you were drinking from it, with the hole in the bottom uncovered, and when you're done put it upside down on a table, with the cork on or off and the hole uncovered or covered?

@revenant hey, yeah, I was a little confused too so I had to go back and listen to @haidut explain it in the video. Basically you cut the hole in the container on the bottom. you never cover it - while using or storing. it always stays open. When using it to breathe through, you hold the handle on top as if you were drinking milk straight from the container and just breathe into it. over time, CO2 will accumulate, and when you're done, you screw the cap back on and put the jug upside-down(cap/screw part on the bottom) so that all of the CO2 remains in the bottom of the container, and the breathing apparatus becomes like a CO2 tank every time you use it. With bag breathing, you have to accumulate the CO2 since it depletes after every use, but with the CO2 tank, it's always ready. Multiple other users have discussed similar techniques on the forums and haidut explains it here:

(I don't remember exactly where but in my notes it looks like it's almost at the very end, this is what I got):
  • CO2: Plastic gallon bottle - cut hole in bottom, open top, start breathing through it - CO2 will accumulate, its heavier than air, this is easier than bag breathing. Its also good for reusing.

@ecstatichamster and @not_James_Bond perhaps it had such an effect on me because of my suspected NO issues, especially after three whole years of rogaine abuse. Vascularly, something has definitely very much changed. the proof is in my virility/vitality (whatever, I get better erections).

Scenes

@revenant hey, yeah, I was a little confused too so I had to go back and listen to @haidut explain it in the video. Basically you cut the hole in the container on the bottom. you never cover it - while using or storing. it always stays open. When using it to breathe through, you hold the handle on top as if you were drinking milk straight from the container and just breathe into it. over time, CO2 will accumulate, and when you're done, you screw the cap back on and put the jug upside-down(cap/screw part on the bottom) so that all of the CO2 remains in the bottom of the container, and the breathing apparatus becomes like a CO2 tank every time you use it. With bag breathing, you have to accumulate the CO2 since it depletes after every use, but with the CO2 tank, it's always ready. Multiple other users have discussed similar techniques on the forums and haidut explains it here:

(I don't remember exactly where but in my notes it looks like it's almost at the very end, this is what I got):
  • CO2: Plastic gallon bottle - cut hole in bottom, open top, start breathing through it - CO2 will accumulate, its heavier than air, this is easier than bag breathing. Its also good for reusing.

@ecstatichamster and @not_James_Bond perhaps it had such an effect on me because of my suspected NO issues, especially after three whole years of rogaine abuse. Vascularly, something has definitely very much changed. the proof is in my virility/vitality (whatever, I get better erections).

Thanks for highlighting this in the YouTube clip. Any other supps you were/are on?

I’ve never really understood why breathing co2 temporarily has any impact if for the rest of the day you’re breathing normally?

I wear a hoodie, pull the top of the zipper up past my nose and tie the draw string to form a tight seal around my mouth and nose, I tuck the bottom part of the hoodie into my jeans or tie a belt around the bottom of my ribs and breathe through my nose. My breathing then becomes very deep, it has a similar effect to paper bag breathing as you have formed a tight seal where air cannot escape but it is much more convenient, you can sit and watch TV for a couple of hours while doing this. I tried it yesterday and my hands and feet were very warm and my energy levels and relaxation levels improved.

This sounds like a reasonable way of doing it other than a paper bag method, @ecstatichamster thoughts?

Trambak

@fever257 How long did you practice this before noticing the beneficial effects?

I got inspired by your experiences from it and have now started doing this too! Well, I did an adaptation, so I 'm able to conveniently breath through the nose while practicing. I.e. I connected on oxygen mask to the hole I made in the bottom of my 5l plastic container. I also keep the cap on for a minute or two, to build up the CO2.

Using bag breathing or some Frolov device always gives me an immediate stress reaction. This does not. I can do it 20-30 minutes without discomfort. On the other hand, only time will tell if it will give me any positive effects...

Peroxphos

@fever257 thanks a lot for sharing your routine and results.
I'm starting today as well. With a quart-sized bottle for now. I'll try to find a gallon-sized container later.

Do you take notes of all haidut's interviews? I would be very interested if you don't mind sharing.

Regarding your questions:
- I haven't heard about getting too much CO2, except the loss of consciousness if it approaches 8% in inhaled air, and also in visionofstrength's old thread he mentioned monitoring his urine pH and switching from CO2 to bicarbonate supplementation if too acidic
- I have no idea about oxygen saturation
- I imagine CO2 being a vasodilator you can expect your BP to decrease

Jessie

That's interesting, I've never heard of that method before. It sounds far superior to bag breathing. The few times I tried bag breathing the sandwich size brown bags were just way too small for my lung capacity. I had okay results with the grocery size brown bags, which are considerably larger. Best method I've came across so far is bicarbonate soaking. I just had 1-2 cups of baking soda to my bath tub and soak in it about an hour.

I always breathe very deeply toward the end of my bath, so I know it's working on me. Mixing mag sulfate (epsom salt) in it will also enhance this, as you'd be saturating yourself with both CO2 and magnesium. It's also a convenient way to get the benefits of baking soda without ingesting ungodly amounts of sodium, lol. I know salt is good for metabolism, but trust me when you start ingesting baking soda your sodium shoots sky high fast. 1 teaspoon is like 3,000mgs, not including additional salt you're eating.

TheSir

But how would i know if I've done too much or too little?
There is may not be such thing as too much or too long, given that you are able to stay relaxed and feel good. During breathing exercises it is important not to go beyond the point where your muscles begin to tense, especially in the stomach area. If you can follow this principle, you should be able to go all day long with zero negatives. In Buteyko the reduced breathing is eventually assumed as a permanent part of your regular daily life. In that framework it usually requires at least 30-60 min of practice per day to make progress. I've progressed at a steady pace with doing 20 mins twice a day. The only downside to progressing faster is that you may have a stronger "cleansing reaction", but not everyone gets such reactions in the first place.

Should i ramp up the tank breathing until I go lower? Or should I invest in a capnometer if the pulse recorder isn't an accurate metric?
Oxygen saturation does not necessarily correlate with CO2 saturation (though it can). It is possible to have high O2 saturation and still have good levels of CO2. I have experimented with descending down to 88-86% O2 saturation and by that point I would feel very strong air hunger and my body would be be tensed up -- it would be impossible to relax at that point.

Rather than going by objective metrics, go by how you feel. If the session makes you feel more alert, relaxed and warm, you are on the right track!

Is optimizing CO2 good for remedying it?
It definitely can be.

Mauritio

Very interesting !
Have you ever been to high altidude for longer periods of time to compete it to ?

I've been to the himalaya for 3 weeks and fixed my thyroid, digestion for some time after it . Like I lost very stubborn weight but it was coming back little by little as soon as went down again . Since then I've been trying to replicate these results but nothing really helps. Even acetazolamide doesnt do much have your tried that ?

tankasnowgod

That's interesting, I've never heard of that method before. It sounds far superior to bag breathing. The few times I tried bag breathing the sandwich size brown bags were just way too small for my lung capacity. I had okay results with the grocery size brown bags, which are considerably larger. Best method I've came across so far is bicarbonate soaking. I just had 1-2 cups of baking soda to my bath tub and soak in it about an hour.

I always breathe very deeply toward the end of my bath, so I know it's working on me. Mixing mag sulfate (epsom salt) in it will also enhance this, as you'd be saturating yourself with both CO2 and magnesium. It's also a convenient way to get the benefits of baking soda without ingesting ungodly amounts of sodium, lol. I know salt is good for metabolism, but trust me when you start ingesting baking soda your sodium shoots sky high fast. 1 teaspoon is like 3,000mgs, not including additional salt you're eating.

Why would you think that sodium wouldn't be absorbed through the trans dermal route too?

Vinny

I still don't understand what's the difference between this method and breathing in a bag, with what it's better.
Also, any chance to upload a photo of the bottle (or whatever is it) you use with the holes indicated?
Sorry if asking too much...

Jing

CO2: Plastic gallon bottle - cut hole in bottom, open top, start breathing through it - CO2 will accumulate, its heavier than air, this is easier than bag breathing. Its also good for reusing.
I'm kind of confused with this , so do you just breathe normally through the bottle? Then turn it upside down and leave it? How long do you breathe through it? And when it's upside down and you decide to breathe the co2 How long can you breathe for like 20 minutes wouldn't the co2 be gone?

tankasnowgod

Hey everyone,

First, i've noticed that my hair has come back in further than before, almost to complete regrowth from any lost areas. This anecdotal evidence completely supports Danny Roddy's hypothesis that CO2 is the "missing conductor" of hair loss. Additionally, given my history with Rogaine (~3 years, likely damaging my vascular system by increasing Nitric Oxide :/ ) I think that CO2 was definitely impaired or deranged. Additionally, I can feel blood pumping in my head more - especially in the frontal lobe. So for me, I believe that CO2 has been very beneficial for my vascular system. Last, I've noticed a huge positive impact on my erections - I am firmer, larger, just all-around so much better and that's been such a relief since I got really messed up from taking finasteride.

Happy Peating!

best,
Fever

Awesome results! I suspect you are correct, that you likely had excess NO going on, and/or like CO2/bicarb, and this method is fixing it.

I just tried this method, and after five minutes started to feel sedated a bit. But much easier to breath than bag breathing or wearing a mask. If you can go 20 minutes....... I suspect you really needed the extra CO2.

I wouldn't be concerned with BP near 138. High Blood Pressure used to be over 160. I think they keep lowering it (and classifying 120-140 as "Pre-hypertension) simply as a way to sell Blood Pressure medication. If you monitor it a few times, the average is far more important.