My Dog Has Pancreatitis. What Should I Do?

nikotrope

Sorry to hear what is happening to your dog. My dog went through a difficult time a few months ago, not pancreatitis but probably kidney issues (he got bladder stones that led to complications). First time I put him on a raw diet, it didn't improve his health possibly because he had trouble digesting protein, so doing a raw meat diet isn't always the solution for a dog. Now I give some dried apricots, dates, bananas, apples, cooked yams, and raw whole quails (less frequently than the fruits though). He's back to being super energetic and totally recovered from his surgery.

For the supplements, I gave him some liquid K2 for a time and now just magnesium.

Regina

I'm a bit scared. Think I was start with things like k2 and gelatin first. Changing his diet. I have a bottle of methylene blue in my cabinet since march that I've been afraid to experiment with. Probably will try it on myself first before the doggie.
Mr. Phineas also actively seeks out the red light in the evening.
(maybe you can add MB drops to broth?)

Attachments

• Red_Light_Dog.jpeg
    Red_Light_Dog.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

Mr. Phineas also actively seeks out the red light in the evening.
(maybe you can add MB drops to broth?)
Hahaha aww. What a cutie. Thanks for all the help Regina.
PS how great is the instant pot?

meatbag

I think I would ask the vet about Cyproheptadine given serotonin's role in pancreatitis and the appetite issues...only issue might be that his liver enzymes are so high so liver is not functioning well

Do you have any dhea or pregnenolone? pregnenolone might help

Maybe you could try lightly salty broth with a small amount of gelatin, those threads indicate that glycine might be helpful

It looks like he has a bacterial infection as well, did the vet say anything about that? Maybe you could ask about tetracycline

Did he bowel issues before he stopped eating and the other problems? Did the vet check for pyloric obstruction?

Hey meatbag thanks so much for your kind words. He's been losing weight and he doesn't want to eat anything. I attached his labs for reference.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

I think I would ask the vet about Cyproheptadine given serotonin's role in pancreatitis and the appetite issues...only issue might be that his liver enzymes are so high so liver is not functioning well

Do you have any dhea or pregnenolone? pregnenolone might help

Maybe you could try lightly salty broth with a small amount of gelatin, those threads indicate that glycine might be helpful

It looks like he has a bacterial infection as well, did the vet say anything about that? Maybe you could ask about tetracycline

Did he bowel issues before he stopped eating and the other problems? Did the vet check for pyloric obstruction?
Yea he does have a bacterial infection and was put on antibiotics. She said it could be from anything. He never really had bowel issues but I'll mention the pyloric obstruction.

HLP

Sluggish = Hypothyroid ? Might be worth giving him some thyroid glandular. Small dose to start of course. Feel inside his ears to check him temps. Should be warm to touch.

Memento

Raw dog food places sell frozen pig pancreas to be fed with meals round here. I think the idea is to give the missing enzymes for digestion that way. Might be worth a try?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals