My Carrot Salad Is Yellow And "spicy"

Xisca

I have grown this year a yellow carrot, a type of "jaune du Doubs" originating from France. It is big and was meant for animal feeding.

I chose it because it is not orange!
Less carotene.
But I notice something interresting, it tingles my tongue much more.... I think it is REALLY desinfecting, as this tingling is very much like when you desinfect a very mild scratch on your skin. it does not burn but you can feel something.
And I think I do have a better result for my digestion than with any other carrot, even home grown.

As I can hardly have an empty stomach during the day, I tend to eat some when I wake up.
If posible I eat more in the afternoon...

Amazoniac

It's interesting that there are many traditional varieties of carrots that are purple, however in general, the purple pigment develops only on the parts of the orange carrots that are exposed to the environment outside of soil, sort of like our melanin, and that part tends to by more bitter. Also, where the soil is compact, the carrots tend to be very hard and sometimes a bit sinuous, instead of being perfectly straight; farmers use soil compactness to control their carrots' shape and hardness.
Older carrots are bigger, harder and probably have more natural antibiotics; if that's the case, they can be a better choice. I'm not sure though..

OP
Xisca

Xisca

I also have purple carrot, and some are orange inside, other are White.
When outside soil, the color turn Green.
It is purple even inside the ground.

Right, now that you say it, I have noticed this taste recently, and of course my carrots are now older!

I have not noticed this "antibiotic" taste on other carrots than the yellow one though...

Last edited: