My brother got schizophrenia.Need some help.

Hofmann95

Hello,

my brother got schizophrenia. I need some advice regarding his diet and supplements.

He is 30 years old, 190cm and his weight is 102kg,

He has to eat every 1-2 hours because without constant eating his negative symptoms get worse. Do you have any Tipps to stabilize his blood sugar?

Current diet:

breakfast: 1 glass of OJ, 1 coffee with milk and 1 tbs of sugar and 30g of protein powder with skimmed milk

Till lunch he drinks maybe 1-2 coffees with milk and sugar.

lunch: some meat and fruit and a glass of OJ or Coca Cola

till dinner 1-2 coffees with milk and sugar. Dinner 30g protein powder, 3 oranges. And constant snacking till he goes to sleep, because his bloodsugar feels so unstable.

He has very low energy but tries to go outside and walks maybe 8000 steps in total. Other symptoms are muscle pain, constant hunger, poor concentration, cognitive decline.

Supplements:

b-complex
200mg Vit B1
500mg niacinamide 3xweek (helps him with mood)
Magnesium 400-600mg

Thank you for reading

InChristAlone

To me his diet is junk. Coffees with some milk and sugar will cause blood sugar issues throughout the day for a lot of people. Just because it works for some doesn't mean it will for everyone. Not to mention all that caffeine is stressing him out as he isn't eating real solid meals. Top priority would be to eat better meals. Protein powder, some milk, some fruit, and sugar are not going to stabilize him and give him energy.

OP
H

Hofmann95

Thank you. Would you recommend eating starches? What would be an example for a solid peaty breakfast? He does not eat gluten and I read on the forum that starches could be problematic... So I will tell him to reduce coffee consumption

-Luke-

Thank you. Would you recommend eating starches? What would be an example for a solid peaty breakfast? He does not eat gluten and I read on the forum that starches could be problematic... So I will tell him to reduce coffee consumption
He could replace the protein powder (protein powder = whey?) with 1-2 eggs and/or some greek yoghurt and a bit of gelatin/collagen for example. It also seems that he hardly eats any fat. He could try to integrate some cheese and dark chocolate for example.

I agree with @sugarbabe and @Blossom here. No wonder he needs constant snacking after dinner. 3 oranges and some protein powder is hardly a meal. He could try some solid protein sources like cheese or seafood. Regarding starches: Does he react negatively to it? Just because many people on an internet forum don't like it doesn't mean he has to avoid it. He could try some well-cooked potatoes or white rice for dinner. Toghether with a solid protein source, some fruit any some more fat.

Seems also pretty low in calories in general.

OP
H

Hofmann95

Thank you. I will tell him to eat those foods you suggested.
No he does not react negatively to starches.

The protein powder is a combination of Whey and Casein

Ben.

Not that i recommend it, but isnt the vitamin b3 dose way to low for this condition? I thought Hoffer treated people with 1-2grams to basicly supress the symptoms fully.

This ofcourse is a huge dose and would require something protective like taurin or vitamin c so as to not destroy the liver.
I only mention this incase you did not hear of it before. I am not saying to do that. Read into it is what im trying to say.

LuMonty

In addition to what's already been said, b-vitamins are quite taxing on blood sugar so keep that in mind relative to meal recommendations. Also, in my experience, sucking down coffee like that means thyroid is needed. Getting calorie intake in order first would elucidate if it's actually needed.

P

Peatness

burtlancast

You absolutely need to stop milk and gluten because it can precipitate schizophrenia.

Have a look at this thread.

mostlylurking

Hello,

my brother got schizophrenia. I need some advice regarding his diet and supplements.

He has to eat every 1-2 hours because without constant eating his negative symptoms get worse. Do you have any Tipps to stabilize his blood sugar?

Current diet:

breakfast: 1 glass of OJ, 1 coffee with milk and 1 tbs of sugar and 30g of protein powder with skimmed milk

till dinner 1-2 coffees with milk and sugar. Dinner 30g protein powder, 3 oranges. And constant snacking till he goes to sleep, because his bloodsugar feels so unstable.

He has very low energy but tries to go outside and walks maybe 8000 steps in total. Other symptoms are muscle pain, constant hunger, poor concentration, cognitive decline.

Supplements:

b-complex
200mg Vit B1
Magnesium 400-600mg

Thank you for reading
So very sorry about your brother's situation. Both my brother and my sister were diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when they were around 19-20 years old. I've done a lot of research about this issue.

Remember that Schizophrenia is a label of the symptoms. That is all that it is. The goal is to learn what is causing the symptoms so they can be stopped.

Please read about Werneke's Encephalopathy and Werneke-Korsakoff syndrome. Both of these are caused by a problem with thiamine which includes a probable genetic tendency to require more thiamine (vitamin B1) than average. The medical industry likes to blame the problem on alcohol consumption, but alcohol is not the only thing that causes problems with thiamine function.

Other things that cause problems with thiamine function are coffee, tea, sugar, carbohydrates that are not fortified with thiamine, antibiotics, many pharmaceutical drugs, and heavy metal toxicity, including mercury from dental fillings and lead from all over the place. It is important to learn about which things block thiamine function and avoid them.

links: Depression, Anxiety, and the Chronically Hypoxic Brain - Hormones Matter

The brain needs energy to work properly. The energy comes from burning glucose. The mitochondria CANNOT burn glucose (or fats) without thiamine.

Other b vitamins are also helpful in this process; the b vitamins work together so it would be helpful to take a b-complex vitamin and some magnesium in addition to the thiamine. I have found taking 90mg of niacinamide (B3) and 90mg of riboflavin (B2) 4Xday to be very helpful. Please note that these are not mega doses. Large doses of niacinamide affect me negatively.

Please read about the symptoms of beriberi too which is another serious disease caused by thiamine deficiency. If you can convince the doctor that your brother has the symptoms of beriberi or Werneke's Encephalopathy they will be willing to consider thiamine hcl by injection or by IV. Faster improvement is seen via this route but oral thiamine hcl also works. Dr. Costantini (here: HDT Therapy ) states that taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl per day for a week has the same benefit of one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl. He successfully treated over 4000 Parkinson's Disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl. The problem is the same; lack of brain energy. I follow Dr. Costantini's protocol and take 2 grams of thiamine hcl daily. This has been a life saver for me.

There are videos of Dr. Costantini's patients' improvements here: Videos Parkinson's Patients before and after treatment - Ultima Edizione.Eu I think it is helpful to see the quick improvement that these people experienced.

I posted a lot of info on thiamine with links and videos yesterday here: B1

youngsinatra

He really needs to work on his diet. He need real whole foods. I would focus on starches and lots of beef / red meat.

Does he have a lot of body hair, a pear shaped body, low libido and hard time or inability to reach orgasm, poor focus, overstimulated mind or insomnia?
I am asking because these are characteristic for histapenia / excess copper.

Copper excess can cause hallucinations, reactive hypoglycemia, fatigue, feeling wired but tired, psychosis and much more.

I‘d test plasma zinc and serum copper. The first is often low and and latter high in schizophrenics.

If it is confirmed, then zinc + molybdenum can help. High dose B3 can bring symptomatic relief from copper overload, but fixing the root is most important.

mostlylurking

Hello,

Current diet:

Supplements:

b-complex
200mg Vit B1
Magnesium 400-600mg

Thank you for reading
Although the supplement list has good things on it, there's room for improvement. Most of the B1 does not get transferred through the gut wall, which is why such a high dose is needed if taking thiamine hcl orally.

Here's an article for your consideration: Neurological, Psychiatric, and Biochemical Aspects of Thiamine Deficiency in Children and Adults

InChristAlone

Although the supplement list has good things on it, there's room for improvement. Most of the B1 does not get transferred through the gut wall, which is why such a high dose is needed if taking thiamine hcl orally.

Here's an article for your consideration: Neurological, Psychiatric, and Biochemical Aspects of Thiamine Deficiency in Children and Adults
I wonder if @haidut 's Energin which has 2 mg thiamine hcl per drop would be better utilized since it is dissolved in anhydrol meant for topical use. I'm so leery about using a lot of the powder, but if I'm only absorbing 10% of it then it would make sense to use a lot, just hard to wrap my mind around needing that much.

mostlylurking

I wonder if @haidut 's Energin which has 2 mg thiamine hcl per drop would be better utilized since it is dissolved in anhydrol meant for topical use. I'm so leery about using a lot of the powder, but if I'm only absorbing 10% of it then it would make sense to use a lot, just hard to wrap my mind around needing that much.
2mg of thiamine hcl isn't diddly squat, sorry. If you've got brain symptoms from a thiamine deficiency, it would be helpful to get injections of 100mg thiamine hcl or an IV of it. Whether you have a physician to help you or not, I think that the information on Dr. Costantini's website HDT Therapy and also the information on Hormonesmatter.com would be helpful: You searched for schizophrenia - Hormones Matter

A quick search on PubMed yields multiple articles about Wernicke-Korsakov syndrome and schizophrenia: thiamine and schizophrenia - Search Results - PubMed

K

Kaur Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrosky

That’s exactly what I was going to say.
me too.

He needs a healthy, mentally grounding diet which is not only about what he eats but how he eats it. Dissolving powders in liquids is not going to help. Prepare good, real nutritious food. Sit down at the table. Chew it. Enjoy it. Etc. It is very important.

OccamzRazer

Here's another thought about the importance of grounding foods and activities:

When it comes to food, you may be able to intuit what is grounding and what is not. Homemade bone broth, for example, is extremely grounding. Increasing zinc:copper ratio, as young sinatra said, is also important. Oysters!

Some of the typical 'Peaty' things - coffee, lotsa fruit, etc - aren't very grounding, and might be better reserved for when your brother is already healthy.

As far as activities, can you guys go on a hike barefoot each day? Very gentle exercise out in nature is highly therapeutic.

I once read about a psychiatrist who cured his schizophrenic patients just by living with them, empathizing with their challenges, and practicing lovingkindness/ho'oponopono mediation towards them everyday. So have hope!

Anyways, sorry to hear what you guys are going thru. If you're at all a spiritual person, you might consider praying for your brother!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals