My Big Fat Panel: How Seed Oils Cause Obesity

Aimer

My Big Fat Panel: How Seed Oils Cause Obesity

David Gornoski sits down with Dr. Cate Shanahan, Dr. Ray Peat, Tucker Goodrich, Brad Marshall, and Dr. Petro Dobromylskyj. The conversation revolves around the question of what causes obesity. What explains the correlation between seed oil consumption and rising obesity in America? If obesity is a signaler, what is it saying? Listen to the full episode as these questions and more are explored from different perspectives.

Dr. Cate Shanahan’s website.
Dr. Ray Peat’s website.
Brad Marshall’s website.
Dr. Petro Dobromylskyj’s website.
Visit Tucker’s fascinating blog here.

Jam

Fascinating to see great minds, minus Cate Shanahan -- who besides not being in the same league, is also highly annoying -- beginning to converge towards Ray Peat's emphasis on reductive stress being the real issue behind metabolic dysfunction and oxidative stress. Very interesting to watch Peter acknowledge that carbs aren't the devil. Although I must give Cate Shanahan credit where credit is due -- the look on her face when anything positive about carbs was mentioned is priceless.

Last edited:

SlowWalker

Was awesome to see Cate get schooled, Peter and Brad have mini mind explosions and Tucker have a grin of satisfaction that ray is being exposed the others, he looked like a proud dad.

Was also great to see how Ray responds to someone pushing back against him (Cate).

Jam

Was awesome to see Cate get schooled, Peter and Brad have mini mind explosions and Tucker have a grin of satisfaction that ray is being exposed the others, he looked like a proud dad.

Was also great to see how Ray responds to someone pushing back against him (Cate).
Yeah the mini mind explosions were great, but I was literally rolling on the floor when I saw the thermonuclear explosion in Cate's eyes after Ray mentioned treating diabetes with buckets of sugar, :rolling

Peatful

Cate appears to be high serotonin.

Ray is analog!
Stan him.

Can’t wait to listen in full.
Thx for posting.

Jennifer

Yeah the mini mind explosions were great, but I was literally rolling on the floor when I saw the thermonuclear explosion in Cate's eyes after Ray mentioned treating diabetes with buckets of sugar, :rolling

LOL Knowing the discussions I had with her about carbs, I was watching for her reaction when Ray spoke. When I first became her patient, I had been on a fruitarian diet for almost 3 years and was 31 kg., yet she believed carbs, even from fruit, contributed to obesity. She had me on a high fat, WAPF inspired diet and wanted me to include fruit to help me gain weight. The logic…

SlowWalker

I
LOL Knowing the discussions I had with her about carbs, I was watching for her reaction when Ray spoke. When I first became her patient, I had been on a fruitarian diet for almost 3 years and was 31 kg., yet she believed carbs, even from fruit, contributed to obesity. She had me on a high fat, WAPF inspired diet and wanted me to include fruit to help me gain weight. The logic…
It was pretty obvious watching the video that she thinks she has it figured out perfectly, at least the others in the interview were acknowledging and considering Rays ideas. It was funny to see how Brad reacted when Ray answered the last question saying that a diet high in stearic acid and sugar was ideal for clearing PUFA which is what Brad has been theorising with his croissant diet.

pushkin

Such a shame, it seems that everyone else was on a more nuanced level than her right from the beginning and they were actually just waiting for her to get over herself so they could have a proper discussion with each other. Her website is trashy - full of hype supported by celebs and photos of herself, ugh. I feel she's a hustler selling something and she put me on edge. Dr. Peat was so deeply rooted, steady and in complete control where she foundered all the way through.

It was pretty obvious watching the video that she thinks she has it figured out perfectly, at least the others in the interview were acknowledging and considering Rays ideas. It was funny to see how Brad reacted when Ray answered the last question saying that a diet high in stearic acid and sugar was ideal for clearing PUFA which is what Brad has been theorising with his croissant diet.

Yep, an absolutely brilliant reaction from someone who had just had his hypothesis confirmed by a giant. Excellent.

Jennifer

It was pretty obvious watching the video that she thinks she has it figured out perfectly, at least the others in the interview were acknowledging and considering Rays ideas.

Yep, pretty much, though, to her credit, she was the first allopathic doctor I had that understood the importance of nutrition and wasn’t pro pharmaceuticals. I appreciated that she held her ground in a system designed to suppress anything that isn’t the mainstream narrative, and she was a rung on the ladder that got me here—in a way, it was her surety that convinced me to reintroduce foods that helped build back my bone density and muscles—so I can’t help but have gratitude for that, but I do think Ray’s approach to science is far more palatable.

Dr. Peat was so deeply rooted, steady and in complete control where she foundered all the way through.

I agree. I appreciated how unfazed Ray was and how he let the conversation unfold.

Regina

Yep, pretty much, though, to her credit, she was the first allopathic doctor I had that understood the importance of nutrition and wasn’t pro pharmaceuticals. I appreciated that she held her ground in a system designed to suppress anything that isn’t the mainstream narrative, and she was a rung on the ladder that got me here—in a way, it was her surety that convinced me to reintroduce foods that helped build back my bone density and muscles—so I can’t help but have gratitude for that, but I do think Ray’s approach to science is far more palatable.

I agree. I appreciated how unfazed Ray was and how he let the conversation unfold.
Yeah. I can say the same thing about Nora Gedgaudas and even, Perlmutter. Those were my first attempt to find answers. And that in itself was very helpful.
But they are mistaken and their popularity is damaging and confusing to their followers.
Shanahan seemed to want to squelch anyone who didn't mirror back her idea of herself. That's just not cool.

pushkin

Yeah. I can say the same thing about Nora Gedgaudas and even, Perlmutter. Those were my first attempt to find answers. And that in itself was very helpful.
But they are mistaken and their popularity is damaging and confusing to their followers.
Shanahan seemed to want to squelch anyone who didn't mirror back her idea of herself. That's just not cool.

Totally. I think that is the beauty and majesty of Peat, he is a serious scholar and is able to present his work in a way that doesn't dumb anything (or anyone) down but doesn't make it totally impenetrable either. He has faith in us that we can 'rise' to his level. Panels like these are actually really valuable as it means people like Dr. Cate can't actually hide behind her bling website and she gets exposed pretty quickly for being just another person who at the end of the day, has something to sell.

Jennifer

I completely agree, @Regina. Nora was a rung on my ladder, too. I contacted her once about the power lines that run through my family’s property and she recommended I put copper on my walls. It would have made for a very pretty, but costly wall treatment given the size of the house. lol I thought it was very nice of her to respond, though.

Regina

I completely agree, @Regina. Nora was a rung on my ladder, too. I contacted her once about the power lines that run through my family’s property and she recommended I put copper on my walls. It would have made for a very pretty, but costly wall treatment given the size of the house. lol I thought it was very nice of her to respond, though.
That's delightful.

YourUniverse

So the big debate was in identifying the chicken or the egg - Shanahan thinks oxidative stress takes priority but Peat says reductive stress comes first.

What does this look like practically?

Shanahan says avoiding the seed oils is first, and Ray is saying adding sugars and focusing on body heat comes first. Why not both, Squidward?

L

Lord Cola

Cool format. Would be cooler with one less person next time.

Back
Top Bottom