My Best Magnesium Supplement Regimen

OP
ecstatichamster
That’s my experience. It’s the only magnesium besides mg threonate that works without intestinal irritation.

Kray

Are you still using Mag Carb, mixing with OJ? I want to try this form- isn’t it also what Dr Peat recommends? Taken with OJ, does it also need to be with a meal, or is the OJ enough? How much do you supplement with daily, when best to take, etc. Thanks in advance!

Bulk Supplements gets good reviews, but someone mentioned it is sourced from China. Not sure if there is a better option out there. Any suggestions, or what brand do you use, if this is ok to ask?

aniciete

Are you still using Mag Carb, mixing with OJ? I want to try this form- isn’t it also what Dr Peat recommends? Taken with OJ, does it also need to be with a meal, or is the OJ enough? How much do you supplement with daily, when best to take, etc. Thanks in advance!

Bulk Supplements gets good reviews, but someone mentioned it is sourced from China. Not sure if there is a better option out there. Any suggestions, or what brand do you use, if this is ok to ask?
He doesn’t recommend any magnesium supplements.

Kray

He doesn’t recommend any magnesium supplements.
Ah yes, of course! OJ, kale broth, others. IIRC his reason for not is heavy-metal contamination? Otherwise, food sources much superior to supplements?

But of all the forms out there, hasn’t RP suggested Carbonate may be the best form?

aniciete

Ah yes, of course! OJ, kale broth, others. IIRC his reason for not is heavy-metal contamination? Otherwise, food sources much superior to supplements?

But of all the forms out there, hasn’t RP suggested Carbonate may be the best form?
“Magnesium carbonate is a very good supplement, except that it can cause intestinal irritation. People tell me that they don't have bowel irritation from magnesium glycinate. Either Mg chloride or Mg sulfate with baking soda can be absorbed through the skin.” -Ray Peat

Personally, I would avoid bulk supplements because I’ve seen reports that they use microcrystalline and it’s sourced from china.

Kray

He doesn’t recommend any magnesium

Found this thread, ”MAGNESIUM OXIDE”
I've been experimenting with magnesium oxide because of it was rumored to be Peat-friendly. However, two quotes have surfaced that make me question that (thanks to Mittir for pointing this out):

Ray Peat said:
"I don't recommend the oxide, because it's very poorly absorbed, but the carbonate is well absorbed. I don't recommend chemical supplements of magnesium, though, because they all contain some manufacturing impurities that can cause bowel inflammation, such as hemorrhoids.
(source)

Ray Peat said:
Magnesium oxide is likely to be mostly a laxative, since it isn't well absorbed.
(source)

So, is the rumored recommendation of magnesium oxide a mistake, or has anyone heard of him suggesting it in a specific context?

Kray

“Magnesium carbonate is a very good supplement, except that it can cause intestinal irritation. People tell me that they don't have bowel irritation from magnesium glycinate. Either Mg chloride or Mg sulfate with baking soda can be absorbed through the skin.” -Ray Peat

Personally, I would avoid bulk supplements because I’ve seen reports that they use microcrystalline and it’s sourced from china.
Good to know, thanks for sharing these comments.

Kray

What form do you take, if any? Oral or topical?

aniciete

What form do you take, if any? Oral or topical?
I like taking epsom salt baths a couple times a week, especially during winter. When I take oral magnesium, I find pure glycinate powder gives me the least amount of irritation.

Kray

I like taking epsom salt baths a couple times a week, especially during winter. When I take oral magnesium, I find pure glycinate powder gives me the least amount of irritation.
How do you know when you need to take it orally? Do you know you’re getting enough via diet on a regular basis?

aniciete

How do you know when you need to take it orally? Do you know you’re getting enough via diet on a regular basis?
I usually only take it orally if I notice I’m a bit constipated. That only happens if I go heavy on milk/cheese and don’t drink much OJ.

Kray

I usually only take it orally if I notice I’m a bit constipated. That only happens if I go heavy on milk/cheese and don’t drink much OJ.
Do you normally have high dairy, and just make sure to have OJ on regular basis too?

aniciete

I see. Any other dairy- cheeses, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese? Do you fresh-squeeze or buy OJ?
I eat some soft cheese like Brie a couple times a week and I only squeeze my own OJ. Nothing has impacted my health in a better way than switching from pasteurized to fresh OJ.

Kray

That’s a lot of squeezing! Do you have Valencia year-round, or do you use whatever is available? What juicer/juicing method do you use? Are you able to remove all pulp?

I buy Uncle Matt’s OJ/pulp-free. I know there is issue of extraction methods/pasteurizing. This brand uses flash-past, not sure if/how much that helps. What particular improvements switching from past to fresh?

aniciete

That’s a lot of squeezing! Do you have Valencia year-round, or do you use whatever is available? What juicer/juicing method do you use? Are you able to remove all pulp?

I buy Uncle Matt’s OJ/pulp-free. I know there is issue of extraction methods/pasteurizing. This brand uses flash-past, not sure if/how much that helps. What particular improvements switching from past to fresh?
I have a good source of Valencia oranges and tangerines. I strain most of the pulp with a metal strainer.

Here’s the juicer I use: Amazon product ASIN B0000CFBZPView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFBZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P5H51QPGK5W5ZVZ6V7DA

Ive noticed my digestion/skin has improved significantly after switching to fresh pressed OJ. Personally, I think pasteurized juice loses a lot of b vitamins and the vitamin c content gets nuked from sitting on the shelves. Give it a dry if you can find some ripe oranges.

Kray

I have a good source of Valencia oranges and tangerines. I strain most of the pulp with a metal strainer.

Here’s the juicer I use: Amazon product ASIN B0000CFBZPView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFBZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P5H51QPGK5W5ZVZ6V7DA

Ive noticed my digestion/skin has improved significantly after switching to fresh pressed OJ. Personally, I think pasteurized juice loses a lot of b vitamins and the vitamin c content gets nuked from sitting on the shelves. Give it a dry if you can find some ripe oranges.
No doubt fresh is the best. That seems like a pretty economical juicer. During Valencia season I have loved juicing; lately my hesitation is juicing that many oranges for a family of 5! I guess fresh-squeezed from the store is the next-best option if I don’t juice from home. I’ve done that too, but not in a while. I’ll check out both options and see how it goes.

To your point on Mg Glycinate- I use that too. Is the powder tolerable in taste and does it dissolve fairly well?

aniciete

No doubt fresh is the best. That seems like a pretty economical juicer. During Valencia season I have loved juicing; lately my hesitation is juicing that many oranges for a family of 5! I guess fresh-squeezed from the store is the next-best option if I don’t juice from home. I’ve done that too, but not in a while. I’ll check out both options and see how it goes.

To your point on Mg Glycinate- I use that too. Is the powder tolerable in taste and does it dissolve fairly well?
It tastes bad in water but it mixes well in coke or some juice, you just have to stir for maybe 30 seconds.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals