My Best Magnesium Supplement Regimen

tara

You are right, there is contradictory information online about solubility, from none to slightly to fully.
I wonder if this is related to the issue of some of the powders sold as Mg glycinate actually being in significant part Mg oxide with glycine? I imagine Mg oxide and glycine wld have different solubility than true Mg glycinate?

Magnesium hydroxide "is a white solid with low solubility in water (Ksp = 5.61×10−12)."

For being a white powder and hasing low solblusdltguity, it will make the liquid turbid until it a great deal of it has reacted with the acid, if I'm not wrong it should turn the liquid darker as well.

Magnesium acetate "smells like acetic acid and is soluble in water. When it is in an aqueous solution its pH will be on the alkaline side of neutral."

If this means that it has good soblutlaity, when the reaction has completed there should be no sediments and the liquid should be entirely clear. If this didn't occur, you probably didn't leave them reacting for long enough or there was too much magnesium hydroxid for the acid, just add some bicarbonate salt to test when in doubt.

In my experience it can take a while for it to complete, and by while I mean more than what people are willing to wait when the intention is immediate use. It's more reliable to prepare in advance.

It's no wonder Daniel wrote this:
Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless

Aliens are also interested:
Universal indicator (they use in school experiments)
I've gotten even better results putting the water bottle in the freezer, and waiting until it's really cold, almost frozen. There is no residue of magnesium hydroxide at the bottom of the bottle when I do this.

I tried many different ones but most of them caused my butt to hurt.

The one that I have used very successfully now for awhile is to dissolve magnesium carbonate into OJ.

Dissolving maybe 300mg to 400mg neutralizes the acidity of the OJ and the magnesium is absorbed without any intestinal issues at all.

I've tried magnesium hydroxide but this seems to sit in my stomach and can't be good -- it probably neutralizes stomach acid which is very bad.

The method I'm using provides a magnesium supplement without any side effects at all.
I wonder if the magnesium carbonate is reacting with another organic acid in the OJ, not only with citric acid, since magnesium citrate is known to cause bowel movements very easily.

Amazoniac

I've gotten even better results putting the water bottle in the freezer, and waiting until it's really cold, almost frozen. There is no residue of magnesium hydroxide at the bottom of the bottle when I do this.
That's surprising giving that cooling should slow down reactions.
I also don't know why the carbonate form wasn't upsetting whereas the hydroxide was.

:confused2

That's surprising giving that cooling should slow down reactions.
I also don't know why the carbonate form wasn't upsetting whereas the hydroxide was.

:confused2
I think it's because less gas escapes from the carbonated water when it's colder.

Is Carbonation Affected by the Temperature?

"Carbonation refers to carbon dioxide dissolved in a liquid, and the rate at which carbon dioxide dissolves or is soluble depends on temperature. When the temperature is raised, the rate of dissolution in liquid is decreased, and vice versa when the temperature is lowered."

Amazoniac

I think it's because less gas escapes from the carbonated water when it's colder.

Is Carbonation Affected by the Temperature?

"Carbonation refers to carbon dioxide dissolved in a liquid, and the rate at which carbon dioxide dissolves or is soluble depends on temperature. When the temperature is raised, the rate of dissolution in liquid is decreased, and vice versa when the temperature is lowered."
I had in mind magnesium hydroxide and fruit acids when you quoted the post, and only now realized that you mentioned a water bottle. :doh

I had in mind magnesium hydroxide and fruit acids when you quoted the post, and only now realized that you mentioned a water bottle. :doh
Ops :):

I wonder if putting in OJ magnesium hydroxide instead of magnesium carbonate would give the same results for OP. I'm not sure if he meant that he tried mixing it with juice or that he tried non reacted.

OP
ecstatichamster
Ops :):

I wonder if putting in OJ magnesium hydroxide instead of magnesium carbonate would give the same results for OP. I'm not sure if he meant that he tried mixing it with juice or that he tried non reacted.

It does not. The mg hydroxide just sits in my stomach as a heavy sludge. I’ve tried it numerous times with juice or carbonated water.

TripleOG

Wasn't aware of Mg Carbonate + Vinegar method of making Mg Acetate. Co2 release should make measuring vinegar much easier compared to a Mg Hydroxide + Vinegar mixture. Thanks. Carbonate cheaper, too.

Returned the carbonate. Wasn't aware of how long 5% vinegar took to react. :lol:

Fortunately I found a Dollar General selling Milk of Magnesia with only "purified water" listed as the inactive ingredient. It mixes much better with vinegar than the powdered Mg hydroxide I have. A clear MoM+vinegar solution has almost no acidic taste. A clear Mg hydroxide powder + vinegar solution always tastes like vinegar. Can't explain why. I get the same result no matter how slow and segmented I add vinegar to the Mg hydroxide powder. Oh well, I'll be sticking with MoM until Dollar General changes the formula.

lvysaur

Anyone have any experience with liquid ionic magnesium?

lvysaur

Trace minerals mega mag
What was your experience?

Looking at the label it looks like it's got a bunch of chloride, some "sulfates" (whatever that means) and boron. The ingredients say "concentrated seawater complex".

nad

What was your experience?

Looking at the label it looks like it's got a bunch of chloride, some "sulfates" (whatever that means) and boron. The ingredients say "concentrated seawater complex".
Never use full dose at once, just half in OJ, not obvious side effects, no gut irritation. Starting worrying of may be too much chloride, but it's differ. thoughts about it, don't know yet. But very convenient and helped w/ migraine etc.

Anyone just rely on epsom salt baths for magnesium? Haven't done any for a long time but had one yesterday and today and already noticed nice improvements (better digestion/bm, ability to fall asleep, sense of relaxation). The downside is that they're nowhere as convenient as a simple supplement. Also don't know how they compare biochemically to the other forms of magnesium.
http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/wp-...report_on_absorption_of_magnesium_sulfate.pdf
"The values obtained suggest that most people would find maximal benefit by bathing 2 or 3 times/week, using 500-600g Epsom salts each time."

Inaut

so lately i've been testing out magnesium carbonate+malic acid which I assume makes magnesium malate...?

by far my favourite form of magnesium so far. I take it before going to the gym and really enjoy my work outs.

sladerunner69

I tried many different ones but most of them caused my butt to hurt.

The one that I have used very successfully now for awhile is to dissolve magnesium carbonate into OJ.

Dissolving maybe 300mg to 400mg neutralizes the acidity of the OJ and the magnesium is absorbed without any intestinal issues at all.

I've tried magnesium hydroxide but this seems to sit in my stomach and can't be good -- it probably neutralizes stomach acid which is very bad.

The method I'm using provides a magnesium supplement without any side effects at all.

I've took your advice and been using it before bed every night. It is more comfortable than taking magnesium glycinate pills, which always gave me discomfort. Taking the Magnesium carbonate with OJ seems to have no side effects other than calmness, which is the point of taking magnesium before bed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals