My Best Magnesium Supplement Regimen

I tried many different ones but most of them caused my butt to hurt.

The one that I have used very successfully now for awhile is to dissolve magnesium carbonate into OJ.

Dissolving maybe 300mg to 400mg neutralizes the acidity of the OJ and the magnesium is absorbed without any intestinal issues at all.

I've tried magnesium hydroxide but this seems to sit in my stomach and can't be good -- it probably neutralizes stomach acid which is very bad.

The method I'm using provides a magnesium supplement without any side effects at all.

Frankdee20

I thought Carbonate reacts with Citric Acid to create Magnesium Citrate ? Is that not the basis of that Magnesium Powder called Natural Calm ? Adding the water to the carbonate and citric acid creates citrate.

Amazoniac

Magnesium hydroxide "is a white solid with low solubility in water (Ksp = 5.61×10−12)."

For being a white powder and hasing low solblusdltguity, it will make the liquid turbid until it a great deal of it has reacted with the acid, if I'm not wrong it should turn the liquid darker as well.

Magnesium acetate "smells like acetic acid and is soluble in water. When it is in an aqueous solution its pH will be on the alkaline side of neutral."

If this means that it has good soblutlaity, when the reaction has completed there should be no sediments and the liquid should be entirely clear. If this didn't occur, you probably didn't leave them reacting for long enough or there was too much magnesium hydroxid for the acid, just add some bicarbonate salt to test when in doubt.

In my experience it can take a while for it to complete, and by while I mean more than what people are willing to wait when the intention is immediate use. It's more reliable to prepare in advance.

It's no wonder Daniel wrote this:
Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless
5. Shake it. Shake it for a good 30 to 60 seconds, ideally while mumbling the lyrics to Stayin' Alive.
6. Refrigerate the bottle. I'd suggest leaving it for at least an hour to give the reaction time to occur.
7. Shake the bottle again. This will help ensure that the remaining magnesium hydroxide reacts.

Aliens are also interested:
Universal indicator (they use in school experiments)

nad

I have Mg carbonate from "Bulk supplement.com".
Many good reviews.
I tried to dissolve it in water for 4 days with no success, when I put it in water, it forms white flakes and remain like this no matter how many times i shake it. Any thoughts? Is it safe to take it like that?

managing

Many good reviews.
I tried to dissolve it in water for 4 days with no success, when I put it in water, it forms white flakes and remain like this no matter how many times i shake it. Any thoughts? Is it safe to take it like that?
Need an acid, like acetic (vinegar). OJ also is more mildly acidic, but hard to determine if/when it has reacted. In vinegar, Mg carbonate (1/4 tsp) will react with 1/2 Tsp in about 20 seconds.

BTW, dilute this with water before drinking. Way too acidic to consider drinking straight. Bad for your teeth and sense of taste.

Inaut

Need an acid, like acetic (vinegar). OJ also is more mildly acidic, but hard to determine if/when it has reacted. In vinegar, Mg carbonate (1/4 tsp) will react with 1/2 Tsp in about 20 seconds.

BTW, dilute this with water before drinking. Way too acidic to consider drinking straight. Bad for your teeth and sense of taste.

great suggestion @managing. does this resolve the toilet issues? i have mag citrate and don't like it at all...

managing

great suggestion @managing. does this resolve the toilet issues? i have mag citrate and don't like it at all...
It does. No GI irritation whatsoever. Very effective at inducing relaxation too, so I recommend doing w/in an hour of desired bedtime.

EDIT: I do still believe it helps "move things along" but not by inducing painful spasms like Mg citrate. I've also found (powdered) Mg glycinate to have very minor GI irritation that goes away, albeit after several weeks.

OP
ecstatichamster
I find this the best way. No toilet issues, no butt soreness. Extremely helpful and very cheap.

Magnesium glycinate always causes me butt soreness issues. Magnesium carbonate dissolved in orange juice or vinegar does not.

nad

It does. No GI irritation whatsoever. Very effective at inducing relaxation too, so I recommend doing w/in an hour of desired bedtime.

EDIT: I do still believe it helps "move things along" but not by inducing painful spasms like Mg citrate. I've also found (powdered) Mg glycinate to have very minor GI irritation that goes away, albeit after several weeks.

thanks for reply, forget to mention that Mg glycinate not dissolve in water also. Never! Does it mean that if I get it down just like a powder, it doesn't work? When i did it like that in the beginning, I got GI irritation and it was the only result, not calm or etc. and I start looking for reason and to try to dissolve. They never.

TripleOG

Mg Bicarbonate
Mg Acetate

Never gave me issues even with Mg doses up to 1g. Love em.

Magnesium hydroxide "is a white solid with low solubility in water (Ksp = 5.61×10−12)."

For being a white powder and hasing low solblusdltguity, it will make the liquid turbid until it a great deal of it has reacted with the acid, if I'm not wrong it should turn the liquid darker as well.

Magnesium acetate "smells like acetic acid and is soluble in water. When it is in an aqueous solution its pH will be on the alkaline side of neutral."

If this means that it has good soblutlaity, when the reaction has completed there should be no sediments and the liquid should be entirely clear. If this didn't occur, you probably didn't leave them reacting for long enough or there was too much magnesium hydroxid for the acid, just add some bicarbonate salt to test when in doubt.

In my experience it can take a while for it to complete, and by while I mean more than what people are willing to wait when the intention is immediate use. It's more reliable to prepare in advance.

It's no wonder Daniel wrote this:
Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless

Aliens are also interested:
Universal indicator (they use in school experiments)

Wasn't aware of Mg Carbonate + Vinegar method of making Mg Acetate. Co2 release should make measuring vinegar much easier compared to a Mg Hydroxide + Vinegar mixture. Thanks. Carbonate cheaper, too.

Inaut

i just loaded up on a bunch of supplements from purebulk. Thanks for encouraging me guys :)

ps. I live in a condo and my bedroom is like a health food store.....with red lights....... I love this forum. Feels like home..............

tara

Many good reviews.
It doesn't dissolve well in water. I just mix with a bit of water and drink it like that. I think it gradually dissolves as it goes through the gut.
But mixing with OJ as Ecstatic does is another alternative.

nad

It doesn't dissolve well in water. I just mix with a bit of water and drink it like that. I think it gradually dissolves as it goes through the gut.
But mixing with OJ as Ecstatic does is another alternative.
Thanks Tara
With what I have from "Bulk supplement.com" OJ doesn't help. And I have low stomach acid so I think if it's not dissolves in 4 days of steering and shaking it'll not in guts , just irritations I had.
Maybe I should use "Pure bulk "? "Bulk supplement.com" is not the best source? But more affordable for me.

nad

In my experience it doesn't either, or at least not much. And it tastes like vomit. I buy pure Mg glycinate and encapsulate myself.
What your source? Mg glycinate from "bulk supplement" is pure powder also.

tara

Maybe I should use "Pure bulk "? "Bulk supplement.com" is not the best source? But more affordable for me.
I've used 'Pure bulk', no experience with the other one. I have no reason to think either is better than the other.
Mine fizzed a bit in first minute when mixed with commercial OJ, so I guess that means there was some acid in the OJ for it to react with. Really ripe OJ won't have as much acid in it.
Personally, slow release through gut seems like a positive thing to me, even if it's not 100%.

ddjd

magnesium glycinate capsules from Pure Encapsulation are the best magnesium ive tried, and ive tried a lot. been just sticking with them for years and happy with the results

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals