Music

X3CyO

Hey. what kind of music do you guys listen to?

I've found that after following peat and some others on the forum, certain types of old music I used to listen to just doesn't sit well with me anymore. Coincidence or not idk.
Curious something similar happened to anyone else as well.
Heres some good ones I've listened to recently.

Good Kid - Nomu

Really like a lot of Polyphia and cloudkickers work.
Recently saw Mac Demarco. Really only like Viceroy and Freaking out the neighborhood though.

x-ray peat

healthwise you are much better off listening to classical music or opera. Just avoid all the atonal discordant stuff.
Rock music can have a very negative effect on your psyche and well being. The lyrics do even worse things to your brain.

Last edited:

griesburner

I always loved rock music during puberty, too. And still its my favorite music it always made me feel more androgenic and boosted my workouts tremendously! Coudnt imagine to lift without nice rock music to push me. I honestly think that the theory of some specific music affecting someone negatively is way too complicating. I think music is similar to taste when it comes to food. Some like rock, some like rap. And if you hear something you dislike then it will affect you negatively. I know the thread here where they posted studies showing that specific music could lower testosterone. I trust most studies, but that would be the first studies i wouldn't trust or simply woudnt worry about. Cause there is enough stress in the modern world. Music is the smallest problem, theres no PUFA's in it ;)

OP
X3CyO

X3CyO

healthwise you are much better off listening to classical music or opera. Just avoid all the atonal discordant stuff.
Rock music can have a very negative effect on your psyche and well being. The lyrics do even worse things to your brain.

Yeah, I stopped listening to music with depressing and negative lyrics in high-school for a while when I was dealing with a lot of anxiety and depression cause I thought it was part of the problem. I listen to that kind of stuff every once in a while again but still have that thought in the back of my head like its subconscious programming.

I have a tendency to focus almost entirely on the instruments and tone of voice rather than the lyrics though and if I really love a song, ill read the lyrics. And a lot of the time it matches how I've felt throughout that period of time as well as prior to finding the song personally.

theLaw

No need for any poor-man's metal. Meet the Alpha/Omega (and made more than a decade earlier).........

x-ray peat

Yeah, I stopped listening to music with depressing and negative lyrics in high-school for a while when I was dealing with a lot of anxiety and depression cause I thought it was part of the problem. I listen to that kind of stuff every once in a while again but still have that thought in the back of my head like its subconscious programming.

I have a tendency to focus almost entirely on the instruments and tone of voice rather than the lyrics though and if I really love a song, ill read the lyrics. And a lot of the time it matches how I've felt throughout that period of time as well as prior to finding the song personally.
Sounds like you are really sensitive to music. Best to stick with the happier stuff.

When I was growing up in the 80s/90s it seemed that the best music was always written by nihilistic depressives. It was that or Madonna

lvysaur

I think basically any "addicting music" is bad, but is fine if you don't feel addicted to it. The super catchy songs, you know what they are, span every genre, but especially pop and rock.

Anything outside of that is healthier in my opinion. Classical western is like a transition zone, somewhat addicting melodies, but also a lot of intricate sound details. I think something similar to "In C" is pretty good, it's not "dissonant", but it's also not "addicting" to me.

I think in a good state, the concept of "music" itself ceases to matter much, and the mental reward comes from the experience of sound rather than melody. Kind of like a natural mindfulness.

I also think some instruments are just bad. Harpsichords come to mind.

Last edited:

lvysaur

I do get addicted. To melodies and riffs. How is that bad?

I simply believe it to be so. It feels like "stress energy" to me. Riffs, like improvised guitar riffs can be okay, but the catchy melodies are bad.

YourUniverse

The better I feel, the more beats per minute and/or the harder the "bang" I tend to crave in music. Also tend to care less about enjoying music I "shouldnt"... like One Direction or Britney Spears songs...

x-ray peat

Some bands have no shame in messing with your head.

KowiUPSf_400x400.jpg

Last edited:

DavidGardner

Influence of music on steroid hormones and the relationship between receptor polymorphisms and musical ability: a pilot study

This study concludes that music decreases testosterone in men and increases it in women (music they like). Obviously the music selections must not have included some of my favorites like Motorhead or KMFDM. It does not seem possible that listening to the song "Killed by Death" could lower a man's testosterone.

I simply believe it to be so. It feels like "stress energy" to me. Riffs, like improvised guitar riffs can be okay, but the catchy melodies are bad.

So what is good is bad? A catchy melody that makes people feel good is bad? I guess in the same sense that euphoriant drugs are bad? No, that doesn't make sense. What is good is good, it's the fixation to the point of distraction (addiction) that can be bad. I won't let myself degenerate further here into an ontological discussion of what it means for something to be good or bad. Though it is tempting, but I need sleep. And sleep is incontrovertibly good. Except to the likes of Thomas Edison and Margaret Thatcher.

Damn. I used to love Children of bodom when I was 16 and in high school.
Listened a lot to the albums Something Wild, Hatebreeder and Follow The Reaper.

As I developed hypothyroidism, I started listening to a lot more 4x4 predictable electronic music with no lyrics as well as industrial and dark electro.

I can actually use my music tastes as a measure of health, because they are reflective of my brain state. I found that, the better I feel, the more I feel like listening to strong up-front music like rock & metal, and the more my music tastes align back to what I liked when I was 16-18 (when I was super-healthy).

Whenever I feel like listening to Children of Bodom, I know I'm on the right path health-wise. Haha.

DaveFoster

You should listen to enjoyable music. The type of music can offer feedback regarding your metabolic state.