Music

Regina

nice find. Inspired me to do a light search.

http://l-i-g-h-t.com/transcript-378
ANDREW MURRAY: Okay thanks for you call - so Dr Peat how about music therapy?

RAY PEAT: I think it is something much more subtle but more powerful than endorphins. I think the very structure of nerves is a kind of resonance and carries possibly like as a semi-conducting system, it carries a function that’s analogous to the objective music outside the body and so when you give the organism a chance to relax and begin to respond to the music, you are re-enforcing or enabling a process that is very basic to the life of the brain cells and all of the living organism. If you believed in the mechanistic cognitive science artificial intelligence interpretation of consciousness, you would see the present moment as an infinitesimally thin division between past and future that’s moving along like a line on the grass analogous to a certain measurement of depth, width and height, except moving along the timeline. But the unreality of that, the complete nonsensicalness of it, in fact, you can see when you whistle a tune or listen to music or see a performer who is doing in an intricately whole and organized way a song or other performance, a director who can organize everything in the orchestra to produce the desired effect is having to see where the particular moment is going and where it has been, the pace of the music and all of the qualities that are developing in each moment, depend on what you’re perceiving to come and has recently passed. And so the brain is like a musical composition. It doesn’t exist only in the present and the moment of consciousness spans time - so that you’re simultaneously present in an infinity of these infinitesimally thin presences.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/william-blake.shtml

Every communicative act is original, and understanding it is an invention, a projection, an imaginative synthesis. We can sometimes finish another person’s sentence, the way we anticipate the notes in a melody; we predict the intended meaning. If the symbols carried the meaning in a passive rationalistic way, the person receiving the symbols would receive nothing new. Intellect is a process of imaginative synthesis, or it is nothing.
Brilliant insights from Ray Peat. Particularly his penultimate sentence above.

nice find. Inspired me to do a light search.

http://l-i-g-h-t.com/transcript-378
ANDREW MURRAY: Okay thanks for you call - so Dr Peat how about music therapy?

RAY PEAT: I think it is something much more subtle but more powerful than endorphins. I think the very structure of nerves is a kind of resonance and carries possibly like as a semi-conducting system, it carries a function that’s analogous to the objective music outside the body and so when you give the organism a chance to relax and begin to respond to the music, you are re-enforcing or enabling a process that is very basic to the life of the brain cells and all of the living organism. If you believed in the mechanistic cognitive science artificial intelligence interpretation of consciousness, you would see the present moment as an infinitesimally thin division between past and future that’s moving along like a line on the grass analogous to a certain measurement of depth, width and height, except moving along the timeline. But the unreality of that, the complete nonsensicalness of it, in fact, you can see when you whistle a tune or listen to music or see a performer who is doing in an intricately whole and organized way a song or other performance, a director who can organize everything in the orchestra to produce the desired effect is having to see where the particular moment is going and where it has been, the pace of the music and all of the qualities that are developing in each moment, depend on what you’re perceiving to come and has recently passed. And so the brain is like a musical composition. It doesn’t exist only in the present and the moment of consciousness spans time - so that you’re simultaneously present in an infinity of these infinitesimally thin presences.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/william-blake.shtml

Every communicative act is original, and understanding it is an invention, a projection, an imaginative synthesis. We can sometimes finish another person’s sentence, the way we anticipate the notes in a melody; we predict the intended meaning. If the symbols carried the meaning in a passive rationalistic way, the person receiving the symbols would receive nothing new. Intellect is a process of imaginative synthesis, or it is nothing.

I sort of agree, but if you go down the route of trying to find the "objective music" that is harmonious to nerves, etc..., the music of the spheres, you would go outside of western music. Actually western music isn't exactly the right word...

You go down that rabbit hole enough you find out that just intonation is actually the "natural" tuning and harmony, and that equal temperament was invented by the west in the same way that the printing press created protestantism--it enabled a standardization that made playing and transposing more convenient. But it isn't natural or true tuning. Just intoned music might be better for you. Harry partch has books on this. I think the ancient greeks used just intonation. and i think indian ragas use it.

I sort of agree, but if you go down the route of trying to find the "objective music" that is harmonious to nerves, etc..., the music of the spheres, you would go outside of western music. Actually western music isn't exactly the right word...

You go down that rabbit hole enough you find out that just intonation is actually the "natural" tuning and harmony, and that equal temperament was invented by the west in the same way that the printing press created protestantism--it enabled a standardization that made playing and transposing more convenient. But it isn't natural or true tuning. Just intoned music might be better for you. Harry partch has books on this. I think the ancient greeks used just intonation. and i think indian ragas use it.

if you think this sounds out of tune, you're victim to ideology, this is based on the natural overtone series

I actually appreciate La Monte Young, not so much for his work but for his mentoring of John Cale of the Velvet Underground.

Caution will probably raise your cortisol

Actually I checked and it lowered my cortisol

been listening to the VU since I was in diapers

it's my briar patch

Regina

+1

Regina

I don't like or care about adorno, because he disliked jazz, but there are many different motivations in modern music, you can't compare schoenberg (who was probably crypto-marxist and interested in fear and oblivion) to Messiaen, who also wrote chromatic/atonal music but was a Catholic mystic who was interested in emulating nature and wonder and religious experience. These subtle differences are important yet you steamroll over them with the cultural marksism theory.

I would consider myself a marxist in some ways but not really a fan of adorno and the kind of dour, transcendentally miserablist frankfurt school
Messiaen organized his sonorities as symmetrical structures. Much like Alban Berg. Early Elliott Carter, as well. The only reason I know this is because I was once accused of stealing from Messiaen in a review of my music. I thought I'd better check out this guy I had supposedly stolen from. lol

I can't imagine how someone would interpret Schoenberg's music as non-goal oriented. It is super (Uber) goal oriented, super tonality obsessed and super motivic and super-tight formal structures. All these form-building devices tried and true from the classics. People might be able to make a better case for non-goal oriented with Messiaen (who might be likened to an Impressionist) or someone like Scriabin or other sound painters.

Just rambling here. It is so odd how these expert researchers just chuck the whole baby out with the bathwater. I'll say it again. I have never encountered a musically literate music therapist, musicologist, music psychologist, Music Ed PhD, etc.

Messiaen organized his sonorities as symmetrical structures. Much like Alban Berg. Early Elliott Carter, as well. The only reason I know this is because I was once accused of stealing from Messiaen in a review of my music. I thought I'd better check out this guy I had supposedly stolen from. lol

I can't imagine how someone would interpret Schoenberg's music as non-goal oriented. It is super (Uber) goal oriented, super tonality obsessed and super motivic and super-tight formal structures. All these form-building devices tried and true from the classics. People might be able to make a better case for non-goal oriented with Messiaen (who might be likened to an Impressionist) or someone like Scriabin or other sound painters.

Just rambling here. It is so odd how these expert researchers just chuck the whole baby out with the bathwater. I'll say it again. I have never encountered a musically literate music therapist, musicologist, music psychologist, Music Ed PhD, etc.
yeah i've always thought the idea of the field of music therapy was redundant, hence the problem... music is therapy. No extra bull**** needed, no dumbing down needed. Nah I mean of course training people in bedside manner would be good, considering how many musicians are ***holes, but seriously, just have good musicians do the music therapy job without a bunch of psych mumbo jumbo...

I would be in favor of integrating music into more of a prominent social role... do have some misgivings about how the european avant-garde separate art from life

Regina

yeah i've always thought the idea of the field of music therapy was redundant, hence the problem... music is therapy. No extra bull**** needed, no dumbing down needed. Nah I mean of course training people in bedside manner would be good, considering how many musicians are ***holes, but seriously, just have good musicians do the music therapy job without a bunch of psych mumbo jumbo...

I would be in favor of integrating music into more of a prominent social role... do have some misgivings about how the european avant-garde separate art from life
:thumbsup:

Arnold Grape

healthwise you are much better off listening to classical music or opera. Just avoid all the atonal discordant stuff.
Rock music can have a very negative effect on your psyche and well being. The lyrics do even worse things to your brain.
You have a Joy Division album cover as your avatar lol

Jennifer

Hehe! Beethoven and Scarface sharing space – I love this thread!

Whenever I hear Ode to Joy I think of The Money Pit with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. My unsophisticated ears prefer the classical and rock mix version in the movie. Do you think their stressful and relaxing effects just cancel each other out? :D

theLaw

Queens of the Stone Age

Josh Homme at his best with an incredible video by Shinola!!!:thumbsup:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals