Music

Waynish

healthwise you are much better off listening to classical music or opera. Just avoid all the atonal discordant stuff.
Rock music can have a very negative effect on your psyche and well being. The lyrics do even worse things to your brain.
This is hard to believe. Trained musicians that have to perform a variety of music must notice correlations by now in a sort of ''epidemiology of sound' that so-called "discordant" music increases the chances of discordant health. If you've seen this measured properly, then please post references.

DaveFoster

This is hard to believe. Trained musicians that have to perform a variety of music must notice correlations by now in a sort of ''epidemiology of sound' that so-called "discordant" music increases the chances of discordant health. If you've seen this measured properly, then please post references.
Rock, metal and country (who may be thought of as those who model after the "blues" genre) die much younger, but there's the confounding variable of drug abuse.

"Does a combination of lifestyle pressures and personality, as reflected in genre, lead to the early death of popular musicians? We explored overall mortality, cause of death, and changes in patterns of death over time and by music genre membership in popular musicians who died between 1950 and 2014. The death records of 13,195 popular musicians were coded for age and year of death, cause of death, gender, and music genre. Musician death statistics were compared with age-matched deaths in the US population using actuarial methods. Although the common perception is of a glamorous, free-wheeling lifestyle for this occupational group, the figures tell a very different story. Results showed that popular musicians have shortened life expectancy compared with comparable general populations. Results showed excess mortality from violent deaths (suicide, homicide, accidental death, including vehicular deaths and drug overdoses) and liver disease for each age group studied compared with population mortality patterns. These excess deaths were highest for the under-25-year age group and reduced chronologically thereafter. Overall mortality rates were twice as high compared with the population when averaged over the whole age range. Mortality impacts differed by music genre. In particular, excess suicides and liver-related disease were observed in country, metal, and rock musicians; excess homicides were observed in 6 of the 14 genres, in particular hip hop and rap musicians. For accidental death, actual deaths significantly exceeded expected deaths for country, folk, jazz, metal, pop, punk, and rock."

Reference: Life Expectancy and Cause of Death in Popular Musicians: Is the Popular Musician Lifestyle the Road to Ruin? - PubMed - NCBI

Travis

x-ray peat

Most people can’t listen to Stravinsky or Schoenberg without becoming really agitated. Few concert halls will play them because many people will walk out as its too upsetting to listen to.

Here is one paper on the impact of atonal music
Non-expert listeners show decreased heart rate and increased blood pressure (fear bradycardia) in response to atonal music
“Overall, listening to atonal music (independent of the pieces’ emotional characteristics) was associated with a reduced heart rate (fear bradycardia) and increased blood pressure (both diastolic and systolic), possibly reflecting an increase in alertness and attention, psychological tension, and anxiety. This evidence fits with the results of the esthetical assessment showing how, overall, atonal music is perceived as more agitating and less joyful than tonal one.”

This caused a riot the first time it was played

Waynish

Most people can’t listen to Stravinsky or Schoenberg without becoming really agitated. Few concert halls will play them because many people will walk out as its too upsetting to listen to.

Here is one paper on the impact of atonal music
Non-expert listeners show decreased heart rate and increased blood pressure (fear bradycardia) in response to atonal music
“Overall, listening to atonal music (independent of the pieces’ emotional characteristics) was associated with a reduced heart rate (fear bradycardia) and increased blood pressure (both diastolic and systolic), possibly reflecting an increase in alertness and attention, psychological tension, and anxiety. This evidence fits with the results of the esthetical assessment showing how, overall, atonal music is perceived as more agitating and less joyful than tonal one.”

This caused a riot the first time it was played

It is just sounds. It really isn't that atonal either. Most people can't listen to aphex twin, but once you learn to bend your ears - you'll consider other music inferior! :D
The adaptive potential of ear and mind to receive and interpret sounds is much larger than the adaptive potential a human has to receive any substance as food!

Zpol

Great idea for a thread! I love hearing about other peoples' perspectives on music. And always looking for new tunes :)

My fav is Ween! Since 1993. No other band has lasted through all my life phases, well, except for Nirvana.
Also love Aaron Freeman.

In addition to the classics like all blues, classic country, Mozart (especially piano concertos, very soothing).

Beacon light

Drivin them nails

Motzart

Some bands have no shame in messing with your head.

KowiUPSf_400x400.jpg
So this is frying my brain too?

johnwester130

isn't rock music an expression of a low metabolism ?

depressed, angry, singing about death, hell etc

people who have the same metabolism, find each other and become friends.

Rock fans and rock music is low metabolic energy

griesburner

there is rock music out there with positive lyrics and happy melodies, too. Thats just generalization.

And what kind of music is high metbolic energy then?

I coudnt imagine that if i would be able to raise my metabolsim that i suddenly would love other music.

x-ray peat

So this is frying my brain too?

There was a thread somewhere on the forum about the CIA and military intelligence agencies part in manufacturing 60s Rock/Hippies to derail the anti-war movement. If you research the Grateful Dead, CIA, LSD, and MK Ultra you will find a ton of evidence showing the connection of the Grateful Dead to mind control and the CIA's effort to push LSD on the 60s youth.

I dont think the music is particularly dangerous though I cant say for sure. What I do think is dangerous is the massive overuse of LSD in the Deadhead and Phishhead communities and their encouragement to abandon their life to follow their pied piper around the country while destroying their brains. It's my understanding that Phish was given the role to take the place of the aging/dying Grateful Dead.

Last edited:

OK I maybe overreacted to this, I had a bad day.

However, how much do you wanna bet that the 16 year old me (who listened to Bodom and Disturbed) had a much higher metabolism than whatever you have now with whatever you listen to? I don't think you can draw any parallels between music and metabolism across different people. Maybe only between the same person at different points in time.

Last edited:

Pointless

I used to listen to very violent hardcore music. I liked Converge, Botch, Pig Destroyer, old Slayer, Poison the Well. I was very hypometabolic at the time, and I was listening to a lot of ambient and sad/depressive music.

I've pretty much grown out of that phase. I don't know if my metabolism has changed or if that music is just so associated with the trauma going on in my life that it brings me down to listen to it. Radiohead especially is something I can't listen to at all, even though I like them as artists. Also, I find a lot of this stuff "cringey" so I just don't listen to it.

I still listen to some music that might be typified as "angry." I realized that I'm not an angry person, even internally. I just enjoy the energy it gives me. Rock music and also certain electronic like synthwave have a very energizing effect on me.

During my hypometabolic phase, I was also listening to atonal music extensively. I'm familiar with the stress response to it, but now I find it quite beautiful in a bittersweet way. I listen to it extensively and experiment with performing it in different tuning systems that make the atonal chords more regular and psychoacoustically cognizable.

I also listen to pop music, but I usually turn it off if it's about unhealthy states like excessive attachment. It just bothers me, so I don't listen to it.

theLaw

I would say the opposite actually as Rock-n-Roll is almost entirely young-man's game.

In fact, as Rock musicians age, they seem to loose their mojo (see energy), hence the unique success of bands like the Rolling Stones, and the retirement of Slayer.

lvysaur

A catchy melody that makes people feel good is bad?

An oily fatty food that people like eating is bad?

What is good is good, it's the fixation to the point of distraction (addiction) that can be bad.

I agree, which is why I qualified that. I also think that PUFA meals and the like are probably good in limited amounts, and if you have the right nature for it even unlimited amounts, just as "good" music is.

Waynish

I feel like this thread will color how we parse each other's logic for a long time to come... Reductionists hide behind paradigms for shade until they've formed a crowd so large that all the grass dies :(

johnwester130

I feel like this thread will color how we parse each other's logic for a long time to come... Reductionists hide behind paradigms for shade until they've formed a crowd so large that all the grass dies :(

maybe I was just joking ?

YourUniverse

I like happy music when Im happy, aggressive music when Im aggressive, sad music when Im sad, etc. I find most alternative rock to be damaging; the lyrics tend to be whiny and I feel like it can enter the subconscious, so I actively avoid, except when Im in a mood where it sounds amazing

x-ray peat

This is a good article summarizing the effects of various music types on the brain. The writing is a bit sloppy but he summarizes a lot of interesting clinical studies on music..
The Effect of Music on Human Health and Brain Growth

Here is one part about rock music I found troubling,

Rock Music Harmed Dendrite Patterns
The ability of mice to navigate a food maze was tested by continuously playing the music at low volumes to eliminate behavioral changes.

Those subjected to either silence or Strauss waltzes had no problem in the maze with a little advantage for the latter. Those exposed to voodoo drumming performed worse and finally became cannibalistic, hyperactive, aggressive and even confused to complete the maze.

The highly abnormal neuronal growth patterns with excessive dendrite branches growing out in all directions and having few connections with other neurons were found in the hippocampus region of the brains of these mice. This region acts in learning and memory formation.

Due to an increase in dendrite branching, the messenger RNA involved in memory formation too increased. It meant that the brain tried to analyze the sound stimulus, but failed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals