Mushroom controversy

Kris

Ok, I trust Ray Peat. He is the only voice of reason in this world of nutrition. But as others experienced, I did have gas when eating mushrooms. Some say that it is caused by some complex sugars in the mushrooms that need to be fermented in the colon. Is it true? Anyway, after pressure cooking them and getting rid of the water, and then making them into a soup, this reaction radically diminished. I am interested to get educated on that subject.

Daft

Ok, I trust Ray Peat. He is the only voice of reason in this world of nutrition. But as others experienced, I did have gas when eating mushrooms. Some say that it is caused by some complex sugars in the mushrooms that need to be fermented in the colon. Is it true? Anyway, after pressure cooking them and getting rid of the water, and then making them into a soup, this reaction radically diminished. I am interested to get educated on that subject.
High in sorbitol and beta glucans (type of fiber present in oats too) which will cause gas until gut bacteria adapt. However, those sensitive to FODMAPS (usually those with IBS and other gut conditions) are often most sensitive to sorbitol, and do better avoiding too much of them.

OP
K

Kris

this what I like about this forum. people here are really intelligent. but they also have so many health issues that affect their judgments. i have no allergies, no heath issue that are clearly identified. still the question is not answered. why gas? anyway, for scientific experiment, I just had Portobello mushrooms alone, and they taste like ***t (in the soup), sorry.

Last edited:

Green Dot

this what I like about this forum. people here are really intelligent. but they also have so many health issues that affect their judgments. i have no allergies, no heath issue that are clearly identified. still the question is not answered. why gas? anyway, for scientific experiment, I just had Portobello mushrooms alone, and they taste like ***t (in the soup), sorry. this is the problem in this forum. people just have so many health issues, which renders their judgement questionable. It is like this forum is a hospital support group.
Yeah, I see your perspective. I tend to over restrict my diet, even though I don't have any health issues besides minor ADHD that's long gone at this point.

Daft

Well to be specific, the bacteria eat the complex sugars or fibers (sorbitol and beta glucan), and produce gas as a byproduct. Other bacteria can consume those gasses, and this I believe is what is involved in the gut bacteria adaptation which gradually reduces the gas: the gas consuming bacteria have to grow to match it. It's a theory anyways.

OP
K

Kris

yes, ok, thank you very much. Why Ray Peat has not addressed this issue? So many people complain about having gasses after eating mushrooms. Personally, i have experimented with many different types of mushrooms, and i noticed that after pressure cooking them and removing the water to a large extent, the gasses where significantly less present, to almost none. So does high temperature cooking softens or dissolves some of the fibbers that cause fermentation? there must be some explanation.

Last edited:

Daft

yes, ok, thank you very much. Why Ray Peat has not addressed this issue? So many people complain about having gasses after eating mushrooms. Personally, i have experimented with many different types of mushrooms, and i noticed that after pressure cooking them and removing the water to a large extent, the gasses where significantly less present, to almost none. So does high temperature cooking softens or dissolves some of the fibbers that cause fermentation? there must be some explanation.
That's a reasonable hypothesis. I suspect he might have addressed it somewhere, but I haven't followed the mushroom stuff too closely. Peat always says fibres properties change when cooked. That could be more so when pressure cooking. Sorbitol I don't know how it would be affected by cooking strongly...

OP
K

Kris

That's a reasonable hypothesis. I suspect he might have addressed it somewhere, but I haven't followed the mushroom stuff too closely. Peat always says fibres properties change when cooked. That could be more so when pressure cooking. Sorbitol I don't know how it would be affected by cooking strongly...
i can say one thing, that after pressure cooking the issue of gas disappeared. not just for, me but also for my girlfriend. so I would think that there is a significant difference between 'Long time' cooking and hight temperature cooking. not sure what is the issue with mushrooms, whether the sugar that cannot be digested in small intestines, and then is fermented in colon, or the insoluble fiber. but I also remove the water from cooking the mushrooms. not sure this has a beneficial effect too.

Last edited:

Daft

i can say one thing, that after pressure cooking the issue of gas disappeared. not just for, me but also for my girlfriend. so I would think that there is a significant difference between 'Long time' cooking and hight temperature cooking. not sure what is the issue with mushrooms, whether the sugar that cannot be digested in small intestines, and then is fermented in colon, or the insoluble fiber. but I also remove the water from cooking the mushrooms. not sure this has a beneficial effect too.
If you leave the water removed mushrooms in a bowl of water and observe whether it regains the water, it's likely it would do so once ingested too. That could help determine that speculation. Beta Glucan is a soluble fibre, meaning it absorbs water. Think oats absorbing lots of water - they have beta glucan too. Also, you could possibly test whether it's the beta glucans or sorbitol causing the gas by eating oatmeal or drinking prune juice (perhaps researching the amount it contains and trying to match to the mushrooms) and seeing which causes similar gas.

Aha! Then you could try pressure cooking either of those for an even further experiment! You could determine something here!

The true method of knowledge is experiment after all!

Daft

Actually, sorbitol being soluble in water, draining it might remove some sorbitol; the more draining the more sorbitol is gone. Reading others' complaints about bad gas, I'm inclined to think it's much more likely sorbitol causing the issues.

OP
K

Kris

I trust Peat that mushrooms are good for the gut. But I started to hate them. if anything, dry frying them makes them more tasty. I think I will stick with carrot salad