Mushroom Broth?

cyclops

Whenever I make bone broth I like to throw some other potentially healthy vegetables in it. Kale, Celery, Onions, etc. Lately I've been putting mushrooms in it, but I wonder if that is a good or bad idea.

I usually cook the broth for 3-4 hours and then it sits another 3-4 hours before I strain and put in fridge. It seems to be recommended to boil mushrooms for quite some time before eating them to get rid of some potentially harmful things in them. Does this mean that drinking mushroom broth is actually a bad idea? Does anything bad from the mushrooms go into the broth? Or are any bad compounds killed off or something?

Last edited:

mr.mag

Agaricus bisporus (J. E. Lange) Sing: Isildak et al (2004) reported that this mushroom could absorb heavy metals like copper, cadmium, lead, zinc, manganese, iron, chromium and nickel. The level of copper was quite high compared to other metal ions. According to Kalac et al (2004), cultivated A. bisporus absorb less amount of cadmium compared to plants growing in wild. Similar report on biosorption of heavy metals was also published by Demirbas (2001) and Sesli & Tuzen (1999). This mushroom is reported to be very susceptible to increasing content of mercury and to a lesser extent of cadmium in substrate and bio-accumulates both the metals and lead in its fruiting bodies (Tuzen et al, 1998).

Heavy metals accumulate more in some mushrooms than in others

Heavy metals in mushrooms and their relationship with soil characteristics - ScienceDirect

aquaman

Ray did a newsletter on mushrooms.

Search the forum - there are a lot of threads from memory

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Ok, yea I missed that. I think Ray said this:

The water from boiled mushrooms contains much of the valuable stuff, apparently in about the same ratio as in the solid part, so it’s important to consume it, too.

So I guess mushroom broth and well cooked mushrooms are both good. With white button being used most often.