Muscle & Growth Overall = (mostly) Unsaturated; Estrogenic? Is this why some people have bigger muscles or bigger bones; others smaller/less mass?

Obviously it's more complicated than that to a degree, but I got to reading this old thread by @haidut on saturatedness or unsaturedness:

Here is the study he referenced: Oestrogenic Action of Compounds of the Androsterone-Testosterone Series

Here's what struck me as interesting ... Testosterone is UNSATURATED? So testosterone is in some akin-like nature to PUFA; estrogen structures? Same as even Androsterone? So muscle building or "anabolism" can come down to how biochemical effects take place or develop throughout/within different confines of physiology?

It occurred to my limited brain ... Perhaps the guys or girls with a lot more muscle have more estrogenic-cell like effects in localized tissue? Since estrogen and GH can work together as Peat said, perhaps the recipe for "muscle" is simply estrogen, GH and some testosterone/anabolism in a multitude of overlapping form? Perhaps this is why Androsterone doesn't build muscle? Perhaps this is why DHT doesn't build any muscle really either? Most "muscle" on gear is from UNSATURATED compounds, or "estrogenic" ones? In this case, do naturally more muscular people POSSIBLY have or have had more of this same effect than someone naturally less muscular?

Androsterone, despite its structural similarity to estrone, was NOT estrogenic suggesting the saturatedness is behind its lack of estrogenic effects

Funny how the "non-estrogenic" things also are the things that never harbor significant muscle growth. Most people who go on high T are said to "blow up" with "muscle." Is it because such a high concentration of an unsaturated compound in the body triggers partial, estrogen-induced satellite cell signaling, along with GH, downstream androgens (some of which are unsaturated too)? I know testosterone and similar compounds make people "blow up" while things like tren, DHT, etc. DO NOT.

At this point it would seem funny to consider male's often common, larger bound of muscle to be "androgenic" unless by "anabolic-androgenic" you mean estrogenic, correct? ;) Because if a "man" hormone has some corollaries with a "woman" hormone in its basest structure, clearly it's not a man vs. woman thing but an energetic one.

It seems the "anabolic" compounds might actually be largely "estrogenic" in some form? So maybe the most masculine men need more estrogen to be that way ... Funny how things work, eh? You can pound down all of the most saturated things, but maybe the recipe for "muscle" or "masculine phenotype" is at least partially mitigated by a fine degree of unsaturated cellular effects. So in light of that seeing "muscle" as "healthy" past a basic point seems a bit convoluted, no? Unless muscle is more coconut?

Studies show that estrogen can induce cell division or maybe more so EXPANSION ... Not sure, but others can chime in. Expansion would equal bigger cell-to-cell ratio thus bigger "muscle" if its effects on tissue reign as its unsaturated, coiled nature of poison does it? And while people will say the "male" hormones are "anabolic" the idea of "anabolism" might be wrongly understood, no? Of course outside the Peat lens this is how the "normies" will see it, but we should know better! :cool:

As people will see it as two sides of the same coin ... Anabolic = Manly, but driving forces of such break the boundaries of what people view as "masculine" or "feminine" hormones or forms thereof. Of course I know nothing about this ... I am just a man who shapes the standing room floor. :2cents:

I know Peat has said he believes estrogen itself can trigger growth IN ALL CELLS ... So why do we default to seeing big mandibles, bones, muscles, height, etc. as primarily "androgenic" or "masculine" and thus shift the topic of discussion or understanding away from estrogen or GH or other compounds that can cause cell growth too?

Last edited:

Gânico

Estrogen wont cause muscle growth per se, only swell them.

"Muscle physiologists and endocrine physiologists know that fatigue, stress and excess estrogen can cause the tissues to swell hugely, increasing their weight and water content without increasing their protein content.

As soon as cheap synthetic estrogens, such as DES, became available in the 1940s, their use in animals was promoted because it was clear that they caused massive water retention. Women who suffer from hyperestrogenism always have a problem with water retention, but they have never been known to suffer from over-developed skeletal muscles. In fact, in humans of both sexes, an excess of estrogen has been commonly associated with sarcopenia, muscular dystrophy, and atrophy of the skeletal muscles. Similar observations have been made in a variety of animals. Meat scientists are the only people I know of who have ever referred to estrogen as an anabolic steroid, in the sense of "building muscle.""

OP
MetabolicTrash
Estrogen wont cause muscle growth per se, only swell them.

"Muscle physiologists and endocrine physiologists know that fatigue, stress and excess estrogen can cause the tissues to swell hugely, increasing their weight and water content without increasing their protein content.

As soon as cheap synthetic estrogens, such as DES, became available in the 1940s, their use in animals was promoted because it was clear that they caused massive water retention. Women who suffer from hyperestrogenism always have a problem with water retention, but they have never been known to suffer from over-developed skeletal muscles. In fact, in humans of both sexes, an excess of estrogen has been commonly associated with sarcopenia, muscular dystrophy, and atrophy of the skeletal muscles. Similar observations have been made in a variety of animals. Meat scientists are the only people I know of who have ever referred to estrogen as an anabolic steroid, in the sense of "building muscle.""

Well, that clearly opens up another rabbit hole then lol

OP
MetabolicTrash
I wonder what Ray considers an "anabolic steroid" to mean then if testosterone -- the most widely known anabolic steroid -- is UN-saturated in structure then?

He's also spoken negatively about blasting testosterone I think too. If he thought test can be good and anabolic, maybe he should see this study then because it's clearly lost on me. Does Ray have a protocol for anabolism that's not estrogen-related? Or maybe he's just disagreeing with the idea of estrogen being optimally anabolic.

Gânico

I wonder what Ray considers an "anabolic steroid" to mean then if testosterone -- the most widely known anabolic steroid -- is UN-saturated in structure then?

He has also spoken negatively about dosing high testosterone I think too; or cautiously. If he thought test can be good and anabolic, maybe he should see this study then because it clearly is lost on me at least. Apparently you can have anabolic steroids that are good? Or maybe he's just disagreeing with the idea of estrogen being optimally "anabolic."
All protective hormones are also anabolic, i.e testosterone, progesterone, thyroid..

He doesn't advocate for testosterone because it can easily aromatize to estrogen, why do many bodybuilders develop gyno, roid rage, water retention, insatiable sex drive etc? more or less the same with teenagers.. all high e symptons.

Gânico

All protective hormones are also anabolic, i.e testosterone, progesterone, thyroid..

He doesn't advocate for testosterone because it can easily aromatize to estrogen, why do many bodybuilders develop gyno, roid rage, water retention, insatiable sex drive etc? more or less the same with teenagers.. all high e symptons.
And testosterone per se isn't the best protective hormone, because it has some estrogenic properties / unsaturation.

"Quantitatively, progesterone is the main female hormone, and
progesterone improves brain structure and function. The primary
male hormone, testosterone, has chemical and functional
properties of both estrogen and progesterone; this combined
function gives males a short-term stability (fewer goiters,
migraines, etc.) but a lack of adaptiveness in the longer range
(higher mortality in infancy and old age). "

OP
MetabolicTrash

Anabolic in what obvious, noticeable way? Out of those three things the only one that will build any "real" muscle is the first one ... And you need LOTS of it.

I've never heard of anyone taking T3 to get "huuuuuuuuge" or look good -- it's always (presumably) test and megadosed. So it wouldn't matter if it aromatizes or not if the biochemical nature of testosterone is equated to that of a (partial) estrogen somewhat anyways. In that case it's weakly protective, yeah, but its basest structure remains.

Gânico

Anabolic in what obvious, noticeable way? Out of those three things the only one that will build any "real" muscle is the first one ... And you need LOTS of it.

I've never heard of anyone taking T3 to get "huuuuuuuuge" or look good -- it's always (presumably) test and megadosed. So it wouldn't matter if it aromatizes or not if the biochemical nature of testosterone is equated to that of a (partial) estrogen somewhat anyways. In that case it's weakly protective, yeah, but its basest structure remains.
I believe bodybuilders take testosterone partly because of sheer ignorance, it's popular and they don't know better and also because it is the best to "megadose", say, you can't megadose thyroid without crashing.

So, they will get huge due to T anabolism on muscles, but also E water retention (and muscles are mostly water), it is a perfect combo to get huge, if you don't mind your health.

OP
MetabolicTrash
If you view it that way, life itself is estrogenic. Childhood, puberty, all forms of growth.

Ray has stated that he views puberty as highly stressful; similar in a sense to a diabetic-like state almost with surges of GH pulsed (or steadily ongoing in males).

Life being estrogenic overall? Well, look outside ... Does it look progestogenic or estrogenic? I see it as a mix, but clearly puberty -- "growth in to adulthood" -- shares some topics with stress as even Ray himself has elaborated on. I'm not going to double back on everything Peat says/nit pick, but his views on this are easily notable.

OP
MetabolicTrash
So, they will get huge due to T anabolism on muscles
Yes, but there must be some biochemical, intrinsic-like property of test itself that triggers more anabolism. If it must be due to the nature of this or a very similar compound -- i.e., some ketone, hydrocarbon, or something like that -- then it's clear that there's an inherent mechanism or nature through which this causes changes.

Obviously there are the "non-responders" and whatnot, but that would only make this discussion more complex ... Not that I'd have anything against that.....

What I want to know is what this "mechanism" is purely ... Not just "T builds muscle" or "T makes you masculine" ... That's all empty words any gym bro can toss out.

OP
MetabolicTrash
What I want to know is what this "mechanism" is purely ... Not just "T builds muscle" or "T makes you masculine" ... That's all empty words any gym bro can toss out. And like you said @Gânico ... Part is water retention ... But how much really is "dry" muscle on a WET compound to begin with? That's gym bro 101, but Peat just has his own takes.

Also, there's something wrong with this forum/my browser/etc. as I am not allowed to edit any changes in to nearly any of my posts after posting them. I don't like non-stop BUMP-ing and adding new posts as replies rather than in to specific posts themselves, but I don't know why this happens to begin with....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals