Muscle Building

stackz07

Just starting to go down the Peat rabbit hole and am pretty excited about my findings. Though, I am lifting in the gym a few days a week to "gain weight" - is the peat based diet possible for this? Right now I'm eating a lot of muscle protein and whole grains. I know those likely need to go but am curious if I can still get the required calories/protein to build good muscle?

Edit: also comsuming a lot of sweet potato

TeaRex14

Sure it's possible. As with any bulking diet keep the calories high. Switch the whole grains for tubers (potatoes, yams, taro, etc.) and fruit. You're still going to have to eat muscle meats, I don't really see a way around this. Just keep to low PUFA cuts like lean beef, lean skinless chicken breast, and lowfat fish like cod. You may not need as much if you're going to be including dairy protein and gelatin. Get your fats from coconut oil and butter. I recommend refined coconut oil, no taste. If you plan on doing some intense workouts I would recommend to stick with the tubers for your main carb sources. They have a higher glucose ratio and are more caloric dense then fruit. Fruit is better for off days and recovery days.

OP
S

stackz07

Sure it's possible. As with any bulking diet keep the calories high. Switch the whole grains for tubers (potatoes, yams, taro, etc.) and fruit. You're still going to have to eat muscle meats, I don't really see a way around this. Just keep to low PUFA cuts like lean beef, lean skinless chicken breast, and lowfat fish like cod. You may not need as much if you're going to be including dairy protein and gelatin. Get your fats from coconut oil and butter. I recommend refined coconut oil, no taste. If you plan on doing some intense workouts I would recommend to stick with the tubers for your main carb sources. They have a higher glucose ratio and are more caloric dense then fruit. Fruit is better for off days and recovery days.

This is excellent and concise, thank you. I've been off the "sugars" for a long time now, fruit included. Do you suspect I will get crashes until my body adjusts? Also, I use my instant pot to cook full chickens and drink the gelatin it provides alongside of my great lakes supplementation, should I toss the brown meat or eat it?

Edit: Also, what about veggies? Broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc

Last edited:

TeaRex14

This is excellent and concise, thank you. I've been off the "sugars" for a long time now, fruit included. Do you suspect I will get crashes until my body adjusts? Also, I use my instant pot to cook full chickens and drink the gelatin it provides alongside of my great lakes supplementation, should I toss the brown meat or eat it?

Edit: Also, what about veggies? Broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc
Depends on how well your liver stores glycogen. If your liver stores glycogen well, I doubt you'll get the crashes people often refer too. The issue is most people's livers aren't really functioning to the highest capacity, so they get crashes. Best thing for liver health is getting adequate amounts of protein, choline, some saturated fat, and avoiding PUFA. Coffee and caffeine help lean out the liver too, if you drink that. The chicken soup is fine, but I recommend skimming the fat off. A couple servings of veggies every day is fine as long as they're well cooked, the raw veggies is where people run into trouble.

Aymen

ray peat diet + very well cooked potatoes / rice gave me the best results , i was able to add muscle mass in a short period of time , milk and fruits before workout and post workout milk and potatoes/rice , i didn't even get fat maybe because i knew how to control the rise of stress hormones after workout.

Constatine

Muscle protein isn't bad. It's so much easier to gain muscle with muscle meats. Beef fat especially is quite good for you in moderation. If your worried about protein composition then eating some more collagen rich cuts can help. Whole grains can be pretty bad for you if overdone though. But there isn't really a protein source that can replace muscle meats.

TeaRex14

Muscle protein isn't bad. It's so much easier to gain muscle with muscle meats. Beef fat especially is quite good for you in moderation. If your worried about protein composition then eating some more collagen rich cuts can help. Whole grains can be pretty bad for you if overdone though. But there isn't really a protein source that can replace muscle meats.
Does tallow not make you gain weight (bodyfat)? I like tallow, it's tasty in foods and I believe it's overall healthful, but it causes me to gain weight. I've always suspected it's due to the high amounts of monounsaturated fat in it.

Constatine

Does tallow not make you gain weight (bodyfat)? I like tallow, it's tasty in foods and I believe it's overall healthful, but it causes me to gain weight. I've always suspected it's due to the high amounts of monounsaturated fat in it.
Yes tallow and most fats tend to increase bodyfat. The fatty acid composition of grass fed beef is slightly different than traditional beef. I do think it leads to less fat gain but really all animal fats cause fat gain. A plus is that animal fats tend to increase androgens much more than plant based fats, even more so than coconut oil: Sci-Hub | Dietary Fat Influences Testosterone, Cholesterol, Aminopeptidase A, and Blood Pressure in Male Rats. Hormone and Metabolic Research, 40(4), 289–291 | 10.1055/s-2008-1046800

OP
S

stackz07

Yes tallow and most fats tend to increase bodyfat. The fatty acid composition of grass fed beef is slightly different than traditional beef. I do think it leads to less fat gain but really all animal fats cause fat gain. A plus is that animal fats tend to increase androgens much more than plant based fats, even more so than coconut oil: Sci-Hub | Dietary Fat Influences Testosterone, Cholesterol, Aminopeptidase A, and Blood Pressure in Male Rats. Hormone and Metabolic Research, 40(4), 289–291 | 10.1055/s-2008-1046800

Yes. I wish I would have stumbled upon this rabbit hole before I had my wild game butchered up. I made a lot of it into burger with 12% pork fat added. I could have went with all lean cuts of steak. Either way, thanks for the info and source!

TeaRex14

That's interesting about androgen production. To handle larger amounts of the long chain fats I have to drop my carb intake, and when I do that I generally get cold. I might try adding 1 or 2 tbsp of tallow to see if that's enough to boost androgen production.

nwo2012

Throw out the whole chicken broth as it will be high in PUFA from the chicken skins. Better to either boil bones/oxtails or use high quality powdered gelatin such as great lakes.

And yes building muscle whilst Peating, is easier.
I find MB, aspirin with K2 very anabolic.
Caffiene helps keep bodyfat down. Add some Androsterone and.Pyrucet from @haidut and you do even better,

OP
S

stackz07

Throw out the whole chicken broth as it will be high in PUFA from the chicken skins. Better to either boil bones/oxtails or use high quality powdered gelatin such as great lakes.

And yes building muscle whilst Peating, is easier.
I find MB, aspirin with K2 very anabolic.

Caffiene helps keep bodyfat down. Add some Androsterone and.Pyrucet from @haidut and you do even better,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I plan on cleaning the chicken and removing skin, cooking that, throwing out the liquid, and then using the bones in bone broth.

What is MB and are you referring to vitamin k2?
Also please expand on Andresterone and Pyrucet.

nwo2012

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I plan on cleaning the chicken and removing skin, cooking that, throwing out the liquid, and then using the bones in bone broth.

What is MB and are you referring to vitamin k2?
Also please expand on Andresterone and Pyrucet.

Methylene blue is MB. Potent aromatase inhibitor, as is aspirin. So both can taise testosterone and drop estrogen in addition to other benefits. Yes K2 is the vitamin which proects against potential side effects of aspirin but also has many beneficial effects.
Pyrucet incteases glucose oxidation and gives a great energy boost for training. Prevents burning fats for energy.
If eating lower fat it can make you leaner.
Androsterone increases my strength and makes the muscles fuller looking.

Hans

Forum Supporter
All advise here is good. Meat is not a problem, maybe add some calcium to balance the phosphorus.
The grains and fibers from veggies could be gut irritating, which would increase the release of serotonin in the gut. Chronically elevated serotonin lowers energy production and can slow muscle growth.

Milk and eggs are very anabolic so if you don't react bad to it, it would be a good addition. Maybe 2L of milk and 2 eggs daily.

Some good supplements to boost anabolism and training adaption is vit D (not necessary if you get lots of sun), K2, lots of gelatin (can be from food too, but then the dose might be too small), small doses of DHEA, activated charcoal (to help bind endotoxins during training), vit B1 (boosts CO2, lowers lactate, etc.), etc.

Mark Nissel

Methylene blue is MB. Potent aromatase inhibitor, as is aspirin. So both can taise testosterone and drop estrogen in addition to other benefits. Yes K2 is the vitamin which proects against potential side effects of aspirin but also has many beneficial effects.
Pyrucet incteases glucose oxidation and gives a great energy boost for training. Prevents burning fats for energy.
If eating lower fat it can make you leaner.
Androsterone increases my strength and makes the muscles fuller looking.
What dose of MB is recommended? I've up'ed mine from .5mg to 2.5mg. I know some like micro dosing and some some are going way above 100mg.

MatheusPN

Depending on the quality of your milk, your testosterone will decrease and estrogen increase, at least according to this study, so yeah Milk can be very problematic!
Was a small sample. Maybe, all the muscle gain from milk, specially full fat, I see people saying here, can be from water retention, estrogen
Exposure to exogenous estrogen through intake of commercial milk produced from pregnant cows. - PubMed - NCBI

RESULTS:
After the intake of cow milk, serum estrone (E1) and progesterone concentrations significantly increased, and serum luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and testosterone significantly decreased in men. Urine concentrations of E1, estradiol, estriol and pregnanediol significantly increased in all adults and children. In four out of five women, ovulation occurred during the milk intake, and the timing of ovulation was similar among the three menstrual cycles.
CONCLUSIONS:
The present data on men and children indicate that estrogens in milk were absorbed, and gonadotropin secretion was suppressed, followed by a decrease in testosterone secretion. Sexual maturation of prepubertal children could be affected by the ordinary intake of cow milk.

As I see @Hans saying a lot about milk I think you will like
@Wagner83 @lvysaur I think you two will appreciate
@Amazoniac You like to tag one guy, so...

Last edited: