Municipal Water Going From 7.8 To 8.8

RWilly

Our municipal water is going from a pH of 7.8 to 8.8 to "protect our customers from the risk of lead-containing household pipes and plumbing"

Thoughts?

rei

Sounds unfit for consumption.

Ultra acidic < 3.5
Extremely acidic 3.5–4.4
Very strongly acidic 4.5–5.0
Strongly acidic 5.1–5.5
Moderately acidic 5.6–6.0
Slightly acidic 6.1–6.5
Neutral 6.6–7.3
Slightly alkaline 7.4–7.8
Moderately alkaline 7.9–8.4
Strongly alkaline 8.5–9.0
Very strongly alkaline > 9.0

You are being offered a chemical reagent.

rei

Once it has been stored for a long time, nearly spoiled. Fresh egg white is nearly neutral.

OP
RWilly

RWilly

Once it has been stored for a long time, nearly spoiled. Fresh egg white is nearly neutral.

I think it's just the opposite.

pH Stability - American Egg Board

"While whole eggs are relatively pH neutral, egg white is one of the few food products that is naturally alkaline, with an initial pH value that can be as low as 7.6 at time of lay, but with increasing alkalinity as the egg ages, and can reach pH of 9.2.2 Factors that can influence the pH of the egg include the age of the hen at the time of lay. The pH of a fresh egg yolk is about 6.0 and increases to 6.4 to 6.9 during storage. Storage at refrigerated temperatures greatly slows the pH change and helps reduce the rate of the thick egg white from thinning. In general, the egg pH is stable and does not disrupt food product formulations."

OP
RWilly

RWilly

? It says exactly what i said.

I guess I'm not looking at fresh eggs, and thinking more along the line of super market eggs.

But farm fresh eggs that still have a coating on them, can stay good for months.

baccheion

I guess I'm not looking at fresh eggs, and thinking more along the line of super market eggs.

But farm fresh eggs that still have a coating on them, can stay good for months.
It's been said the protective coating begins to degrade after 96 hours. What sources support/show longer viability?

OP
RWilly

RWilly

wonder what they use on the water?

sodium hydroxide

They are reducing pH to deal with lead (while also changing lead pipes to copper pipes for homes with lead pipes). I think the change in pH is supposed to reduce corrosion.

michael94

sodium hydroxide
I've drank ( very ) diluted bleach before and it had a calming effect. I think its been recommend in case of natural disaster to clean water. However, not sure of the pH and how it compares to 8.8. I'm glad theyre worried about old pipes leeching and doing something about it until they replace the pipes.

OP
RWilly

RWilly

I've drank ( very ) diluted bleach before and it had a calming effect. I think its been recommend in case of natural disaster to clean water. However, not sure of the pH and how it compares to 8.8. I'm glad theyre worried about old pipes leeching and doing something about it until they replace the pipes.

Yikes on drinking the diluted bleach!
I'm glad they are worried about old pipes too.