Mucuna Pruriens induced crash, need advice

Blue Water

I am pretty sure I crashed from a pre-workout that had mucuna pruriens in it. It also had some other stimulants but I believe the mucuna is the cause of the crash due to the L-Dopa. Right now i am experiencing some severe low symptoms, like depression, anhedonia, insane brain fog/depersonalization, and fatigue. Could be low epinephrine/serotonin as well.

I am thinking my dopamine/serotonin system is messed up now. Perhaps my brain down-regulated the dopamine or the 5-HTP receptors were damaged.

How can I "reset" or normalize my receptors? I read about uridine but am afraid it will cause cancer or fatty liver...

magnesiumania

Uridine short term is rather safe i think.

Remember tyrosine and tryptophan has benzene rings. They are photon traps and are being programmed by natural light. Go outside to make your neurotransmitters work.

L-dopa can be neurotoxic, i wouldent fool around with it unless you know what youre doing....

dukesbobby777

What were the other ingredients in the drink? I’ve never heard of mucunã being neurotóxic. It’s a herb that’s been used for centuries without links (AFAIK) to brain damage.

L-dopa, by itself, as an isolated compound, has been linked with neurotoxicity.

shine

A few days ago I read an article about a doctor who treated Parkinson's patients with gram doses of thiamine/b1. In one part of the article it said that thiamine in high doses protected from the dyskinesias associated with L-dopa treatment.

Uridine increases your dopamine receptor turnover rate. So if you have damaged dopamine receptors, they will be replaced faster by fresh, functioning ones. Taking uridine for 1-2 days can help a lot in my experience. I wouldn't take it chronically though, more like every couple months for a short period.

Also, what pre-workout were you taking? Would be interesting to know what else is in it.

Perry Staltic

L-dopa according to this article is serotonergic (increases serotonin) and can trigger serotonin syndrome.

Perhaps adding to the diagnostic challenge is the fact that a huge number of drugs — prescription, over the counter, recreational and herbal — can trigger the syndrome. In addition to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil and serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors like Effexor, the list includes tricyclic antidepressants and MAOIs (for monoamine oxidase inhibitors); narcotic painkillers like fentanyl and tramadol; over-the-counter cough and cold remedies containing dextromethorphan; the anticonvulsant valproate; triptans like Imitrex used to treat and prevent migraines; the antibiotic Zyvox (linezolide); antinausea drugs; the anti-Parkinson’s drug L-dopa; the weight-loss drug Meridia (sibutramine); lithium; the dietary supplements tryptophan, St. John’s wort and ginseng; and several drugs of abuse, including ecstasy, LSD, amphetamines, the hallucinogens foxy methoxy and Syrian rue.

OP
B

Blue Water

A few days ago I read an article about a doctor who treated Parkinson's patients with gram doses of thiamine/b1. In one part of the article it said that thiamine in high doses protected from the dyskinesias associated with L-dopa treatment.

Uridine increases your dopamine receptor turnover rate. So if you have damaged dopamine receptors, they will be replaced faster by fresh, functioning ones. Taking uridine for 1-2 days can help a lot in my experience. I wouldn't take it chronically though, more like every couple months for a short period.

Also, what pre-workout were you taking? Would be interesting to know what else is in it.
I'll try to find uridine for a short term, it's quite hard to get unless shipped. What about SAM-e? Was thinking maybe trying that... Here is the ingredients for the pre-workout. I only took it three times but the last time I had a cup of coffee before and then took it on an empty stomach and lifted. I had insane energy from it.

1609365535107.png

OP
B

Blue Water

Uridine short term is rather safe i think.

Remember tyrosine and tryptophan has benzene rings. They are photon traps and are being programmed by natural light. Go outside to make your neurotransmitters work.

L-dopa can be neurotoxic, i wouldent fool around with it unless you know what youre doing....
I do not get enough sunlight, no doubt about that... will continue to search for uridine.

I did read L-Dopa is neurotoxic to 5HT1(A) receptors because those receptors are the ones secreting dopamine and they can't handle it. So honestly I am wondering if i caused brain damage. Is there anything that heals/restores or increases turnover of serotonin receptors in the same way that uridine does for dopamine?

Last edited:

dukesbobby777

L-dopa, if taken by itself, won’t even reach the brain to make dopamine. It will just turn into dopamine in the tissues instead, so you’d get annoying periphery side effects instead (nausea, etc). It needs to be taken with a decarboxylase inhibitor to ensure it gets past the blood brain barrier to make dopamine in the brain.

So if they’ve just used L-dopa in that product it’s likely not had any effect in your brain. If it’s actually the mucunã herb, then you likely don’t have anything to worry about (if you believe that taking the whole herb is protective).

Looking at that list of ingredients you have a long list of stimulating/awakening (and cholinergic) compounds, which more likely explains your negative reaction to the drink.

N-acetyl-tyrosine (from that list) is one supplement that I personally reacted very bad to (wired, edgy, etc).

Last edited:
OP
B

Blue Water

L-dopa, if taken by itself, won’t even reach the brain to make dopamine. It will just turn into dopamine in the tissues instead, so you’d get annoying periphery side effects instead (nausea, etc). It needs to be taken with a decarboxylase inhibitor to ensure it gets past the blood brain barrier to make dopamine in the brain.

So if they’ve just used L-dopa in that product it’s likely not had any effect in your brain. If it’s actually the mucunã herb, then you likely don’t have anything to worry about (if you believe that taking the whole herb is protective).

Looking at that list of ingredients you have a long list of stimulating/awakening (and cholinergic) compounds, which more likely explains your negative reaction to the drink.

N-acetyl-tyrosine (from that list) is one supplement that I personally reacted very bad to (wired, edgy, etc).
Thanks for the input.

If it’s actually the mucunã herb, then you likely don’t have anything to worry about
I read somewhere that mucuna whole herb does reach the brain... but you think that somehow it is non-toxic as a whole herb?

i did get very wired from it for sure, but the withdrawal snap-back effect feels like brain damage or autism, I am fixating on things and am distracted from whatever is going on around me. I can't find correct words, my eyes are staring into space without blinking, my speech is slurred, etc. Possibly this is from something totally different like some iron or copper deficiency which I will test soon but idk why it would come on so suddenly after that pre-workout, it is the only thing that changed in my diet.

I did read as well somewhere that mucuna is an effective iron and copper chelator and chelates divalent atoms, so could also have chelated mercury...who knows.