MTHFR mutation - what does it affect?

Ippodrom47

I know this has probably been discussed multiple times here, but I need to make sure of a couple of things.
Does having a MTHFR mutation (SNP rs1801133 A/G; rs1801131 T/T), which is supposed to decrease the enzyme activity by up to 40%, means I may have issues with arsenic and oxalates? I've been noticing that eating lots of rice gives me all symptoms of arsenic toxicity (fatigue, vertigo, brain fog, white spots on nails, mood issues, etc) and the same goes for foods high in oxalates. Reducing both seem to have a very noticeable effect.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Found this article on arsenic, I have all those SNPs in some form. It seems no wonder I react badly to daily rice.

Phosphor

MTHFR is a huge topic and there are many SNPs. All I can say is, if you are having bad effects from some foods, just don't eat them. If you want to have rice in your diet, get organic rice from India. It is rice from the US that has the high arsenic content. I'll be curious, if you try that, if it affects you differently. I can't eat rice because of the lectin content. I am a huge basmati fan, too, so -- phooey.

mostlylurking

I know this has probably been discussed multiple times here, but I need to make sure of a couple of things.
Does having a MTHFR mutation (SNP rs1801133 A/G; rs1801131 T/T), which is supposed to decrease the enzyme activity by up to 40%, means I may have issues with arsenic and oxalates? I've been noticing that eating lots of rice gives me all symptoms of arsenic toxicity (fatigue, vertigo, brain fog, white spots on nails, mood issues, etc) and the same goes for foods high in oxalates. Reducing both seem to have a very noticeable effect.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp6u82coOYE

Arsenic is a toxic heavy metal. Everyone would have issues with arsenic. It's best to avoid heavy metals.

Info on oxalates:

Eating lots of rice is a classic way to cause a thiamine deficiency.

"Thiamine (vitamin B1) was the first B vitamin which has been identified. It serves as a cofactor for several enzymes involved in energy metabolism. The thiamine-dependent enzymes are important for the biosynthesis of neurotransmitters and for the production of reducing substances used in oxidant stress defenses, as well as for the synthesis of pentose used as nucleic acid precursors. Thiamine also plays a central role in cerebral metabolism. There are 2 major manifestations of thiamine deficiency(TD): cardiovascular disease (wet beriberi) and nervous system disease (dry beriberi and Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome)."

Tim Lundeen

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

The MTHFR mutations are just part of the pathway. I know someone with supposed "low methylation" genetics who is an overmethylator: very sensitive to methylated supplements especially SAMe. Walsh talks about this in his book, Nutrient Power: Amazon product ASIN B00J75IQUAView: https://www.amazon.com/Nutrient-Power-Heal-Biochemistry-Brain-ebook/dp/B00J75IQUA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=walsh+nutrient+power&qid=1656781775&sprefix=walsh+nut%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1
Hi! My blood folate is low 2.7 (range 3-15). Awaiting b12 results.
However, I react very badly to methylcobalamin b12, for instance - get extremely tired, anxious and irritable even after low doses (1/2 RDA, different brands). Much larger quantities of b12 in meat don't seem to have the same effect. I don't want to try methylfolate because of this.
Does this mean I can try to increase my folate intake through food? I can't eat greens due to still ongoing issues with vitamin A and beta-carotin overload. I guess lentils and beans may be a viable option.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Hi! My blood active B12 is fine - 77 (range 25-165). Once again, folate is low 2.7 (range 3-15).
I'll try to eat more lentils and beans to increase it. I took quite a break from them in the past couple weeks.
Also, I've been noticing that high b12 foods tend to make me a bit irritable, anxious. Earlier, it was more evident before I started eating a bit of lentils every day. However, this reaction still persists. Can it be due to the imbalance between B9 and B12, given my MTHFR mutation? Thanks!

Arsenic is a toxic heavy metal. Everyone would have issues with arsenic. It's best to avoid heavy metals.
Sure, I understand that, but I mean - it's rice, a staple for generations of people. Surely I must be able to tolerate it, at least on a weekly basis.

h.c.

Rice is high in arsenic, 10 times more then other grains. You need the working methylation cycle to detoxify - folate is only one input.

Try to cook rice and reduce the arsenic content up to 70-80% by cooking correctly: (G-Translate link) Reis & Arsen - Ist der Verzehr das Risiko Wert? + eine Anleitung für die Arsen-Reduktion beim Kochen - H.C.'s Blog

Check all of your methylation factors (G-Translate link): Folat Teil 3: Methylierungs-Grundlagen, die MTHFR-Mutation (C677T und A1298C), Auswirkungen, Diagnose und Nahrungsergänzung (B2, B6, B12, Folat und TMG) - H.C.'s Blog

And use Hydroxol-Colbalamin as B12. Its the form with the least issues, like redistributing Hg & even into the brain (-> Methly-B12).

Best,
Hans

youngsinatra

You need balanced amounts of B12/B9.
Folate deficiency can cause a lot of weird methyl-related symptoms from my personal experience.

youngsinatra

Everything you need to know. Glycine is very important too in my opinion. You might paradoxically overmethylate while fixing undermethylation, because methylfolate shuts off the glycine-buffering system, so in folate deficiency you tend to waste glycine, which is needed to buffer methyl groups. You can learn all this in the article(s) by Chris Masterjohn. :)

mostlylurking

Hi! My blood active B12 is fine - 77 (range 25-165). Once again, folate is low 2.7 (range 3-15).
I'll try to eat more lentils and beans to increase it. I took quite a break from them in the past couple weeks.
Also, I've been noticing that high b12 foods tend to make me a bit irritable, anxious. Earlier, it was more evident before I started eating a bit of lentils every day. However, this reaction still persists. Can it be due to the imbalance between B9 and B12, given my MTHFR mutation? Thanks!

Sure, I understand that, but I mean - it's rice, a staple for generations of people. Surely I must be able to tolerate it, at least on a weekly basis.
I'd buy the organic if possible. A diet predominately of white rice in the diet is known to cause beriberi. Just do a search for "white rice and thiamine".

Matestube

You are not necessarily born with this gene mutation, there is good chance you acquire it because of the toxic environment.
Therefore your reaction to foods can be different from your ancesters'.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

I have to add that I seem to feel way better on days I'm eating some lentils. More calm and noticeably more clearheaded.
Folate deficiency can cause a lot of weird methyl-related symptoms from my personal experience.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the exact symptoms you had? Thanks!

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Also also, I've read this theory (or maybe a verified fact, I don't really know) that if one has an MTHFR mutation, they can keep their folate levels through diet alone but they also need to avoid having too much of it or taking lots of folic acid (not methyl folate). The reasoning behind that being that unmethylated folate is also quite toxic and can have negative side effects. Since their methylation pathways are somewhat compromised, there may be some unmethylated folate left, which is not too great.