MRI with contrast question

Blue Water

Hey everyone,

I need to get an MRI of the pituitary because they saw a shadow on a brain MRI, and my doc wants me to get it with contrast. Is it possible to get it without contrast or will that make it impossible to find anything? Also, if I have to get contrast is there anything I should know? I read that gadolinium can be quite toxic, and am nervous about putting a heavy metal near my brain.

Thanks

puella

Hey everyone,

I need to get an MRI of the pituitary because they saw a shadow on a brain MRI, and my doc wants me to get it with contrast. Is it possible to get it without contrast or will that make it impossible to find anything? Also, if I have to get contrast is there anything I should know? I read that gadolinium can be quite toxic, and am nervous about putting a heavy metal near my brain.

Thanks

It might be worth asking:
•Will the use of contrast change the outcome or treatment? If it's too small to see without contrast, they likely won't treat it &/or ask that you keep getting MRIs with contrast to monitor. In the absence of symptoms, I personally would not do this.
•If they did want to treat it, would you want their treatments?
•Do you have symptoms that point towards a problem with the pituitary? If not, is it worth exploring further? ...If it was large enough to be causing problems, it would likely show up on a scan without contrast.
• Would you rather try to manage a natural problem within the body (if there is something on your pituitary gland) or a foreign heavy metal that can go anywhere (bones, organs, blood cells, nerves) & cause disruptions everywhere it goes.

I know this is not an easy decision but try to slow down before proceeding. If you decide to decline the contrast, be prepared for heavy push back & pressure from your doctor or radiologists. My father in-law had complications after a liver transplant & was told he absolutely had to have contrast. He declined despite their best efforts only to have the doctor admit he didn't need it after a half-day battle.

Dr. Catriona Walsh addresses this topic really well in this Quax podcast episode -there are also a list of resources at the bottom of the page.

Nicky

I would not have contrast unless it was life or death.

I had an MRI with no contrast had enough health problems as it was, didn't need to add to it.
The white coats do not like it when you deny contrast, also affects their pocketbook, they will push back, so stand firm if you decide to go without.

P

Peatness

There is no reason to use contrast dyes. A good radiologist ought to be able to read an image without it. Tell them you have an allergy to the dye. As soon as you mention allergy they will no risk using it on you. They are not safe. I think this topic has been discussed on the forum before

cdg

Hey everyone,

Thanks
Please see: Facebook Groups and the attached:

Attachments

• Dr. David Brownstein's Natural Way to Health 2016-11.pdf
    577 KB · Views: 20
OP
B

Blue Water

Thanks everyone. Definitely going to be avoiding this if at all possible.

frannybananny

I'm curious s to what happened with you and the Contrast Dye ....did you consent to it? Are you okay? I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow using the dye ....one without and one with, and I am thinking of not giving my permission to the dye. I'm sure that is going to p*ss off my already weird gastro but maybe I will just find another doctor.

P

Peatness

I'm curious s to what happened with you and the Contrast Dye ....did you consent to it? Are you okay? I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow using the dye ....one without and one with, and I am thinking of not giving my permission to the dye. I'm sure that is going to p*ss off my already weird gastro but maybe I will just find another doctor.
The dye is unnecessary, Dr Peat has said as much. Don't let them talk you into it. I made the mistake of being persuaded against my better judgement. It causes permanent damage to the tissues including your organs – don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

puella

The dye is unnecessary, Dr Peat has said as much. Don't let them talk you into it. I made the mistake of being persuaded against my better judgement. It causes permanent damage to the tissues including your organs – don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

All of this. It's not worth it. There's little to nothing available to fix the horrors this stuff causes.

frannybananny

All of this. It's not worth it. There's little to nothing available to fix the horrors this stuff causes.
Thank you puella and peatness for your resources and info and to other posters contributing to this thread. I sure have learned a lot about gadolinium!

But can someone speak to the risks of MRI without contrast, Please? I have one done 4 years ago and my doctor wants to check for changes since I have been experiencing a resurgence of pain.

ThinPicking

But can someone speak to the risks of MRI without contrast, Please? I have one done 4 years ago and my doctor wants to check for changes since I have been experiencing a resurgence of pain.
Functionally it's a bit like standing next to a long range FM radio transmitter. There's some biological stress but it's been shown to be quite short lived. They're quite safe. Just overeat, take some antioxidants and don't worry about it. MRI's are cool.

To me there's more of a mechanical danger from a leak in the cryogenics used to cool the internals. But the machines are very well maintained and these events extremely rare. The cost to owners of a maintenance failure would be very high so they're well incentivised to look after them.

Functionally it's a bit like standing next to a long range FM radio transmitter. There's some biological stress but it's been shown to be quite short lived. They're quite safe. Just overeat, take some antioxidants and don't worry about it. MRI's are cool.

To me there's more of a mechanical danger from a leak in the cryogenics used to cool the internals. But the machines are very well maintained and these events extremely rare. The cost to owners of a maintenance failure would be very high so they're well incentivised to look after them.
Thank you!!