MRI with contrast question

Don Quixote

Hey everyone,

I need to get an MRI of the pituitary because they saw a shadow on a brain MRI, and my doc wants me to get it with contrast. Is it possible to get it without contrast or will that make it impossible to find anything? Also, if I have to get contrast is there anything I should know? I read that gadolinium can be quite toxic, and am nervous about putting a heavy metal near my brain.

Thanks

puella

Hey everyone,

I need to get an MRI of the pituitary because they saw a shadow on a brain MRI, and my doc wants me to get it with contrast. Is it possible to get it without contrast or will that make it impossible to find anything? Also, if I have to get contrast is there anything I should know? I read that gadolinium can be quite toxic, and am nervous about putting a heavy metal near my brain.

Thanks

It might be worth asking:
•Will the use of contrast change the outcome or treatment? If it's too small to see without contrast, they likely won't treat it &/or ask that you keep getting MRIs with contrast to monitor. In the absence of symptoms, I personally would not do this.
•If they did want to treat it, would you want their treatments?
•Do you have symptoms that point towards a problem with the pituitary? If not, is it worth exploring further? ...If it was large enough to be causing problems, it would likely show up on a scan without contrast.
• Would you rather try to manage a natural problem within the body (if there is something on your pituitary gland) or a foreign heavy metal that can go anywhere (bones, organs, blood cells, nerves) & cause disruptions everywhere it goes.

I know this is not an easy decision but try to slow down before proceeding. If you decide to decline the contrast, be prepared for heavy push back & pressure from your doctor or radiologists. My father in-law had complications after a liver transplant & was told he absolutely had to have contrast. He declined despite their best efforts only to have the doctor admit he didn't need it after a half-day battle.

Dr. Catriona Walsh addresses this topic really well in this Quax podcast episode -there are also a list of resources at the bottom of the page.

Nicky

I would not have contrast unless it was life or death.

I had an MRI with no contrast had enough health problems as it was, didn't need to add to it.
The white coats do not like it when you deny contrast, also affects their pocketbook, they will push back, so stand firm if you decide to go without.

Pina

There is no reason to use contrast dyes. A good radiologist ought to be able to read an image without it. Tell them you have an allergy to the dye. As soon as you mention allergy they will no risk using it on you. They are not safe. I think this topic has been discussed on the forum before

cdg

Hey everyone,

Thanks
Please see: Facebook Groups and the attached:

Attachments

• Dr. David Brownstein's Natural Way to Health 2016-11.pdf
    577 KB · Views: 3