MPB Experimental Treatments

Progesterone

Another hair wash with Selsun Blue. Shed 7 total hairs - 3 long ones, 4 short ones.

I wish I actually took the time to count the hairs in my hands while washing my hair, before starting Selsun Blue. There were WAY more than 10 hairs there I can say that much. So many hairs that it would have been extremely tedious and time consuming to count them at all, it would have been a daunting task.

So let's say, before I would shed.. 30...40?! hairs... now I'm seeing 10 or so.

Again, I don't want to get too optimistic or anything as I've only been using Taurine and Selsun Blue for a short period of time.

I hope others start using these and documenting their progress as well.

OP
TubZy

TubZy

Found this study...

Looks like estrogen stimulates prostaglandins, and PGE2 can increase aromatase, so they work both ways. PGD2 is elevated in balding scalps. I think @haidut is on the right track claiming MPB is estrogen driven. I honestly don't think PGE2 has any real effect on hair growth, I wonder if it just an inflammatory marker only.

Estradiol stimulates rat renopapillary prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), but not PGF2 alpha biosynthesis. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.pnas.org/content/100/1/318.full.pdf

"In summary, our discovery that E2 regulates the transcript levels of L-PGDS in the rodent brain strongly suggests that PGD2 andor L-PGDS itself plays a role in E2-regulated actions that include both reproductive and nonreproductive behaviors."

chimdp

@JonnyCraig Any further updates on the Selsun experiment. I was curious about trying it however I'm a little wary now that almost all mentions of Selsun on the internet talk about the possibility of it causing hair loss. There are also a few studies citing this but they are from the 50's and 60's.

Diffuse hair loss associated with selenium (selsun) sulfide shampoo. - PubMed - NCBI

@TubZy Did you say you used Selsun in the past? If so, any results?

Selsun also makes "natural" version which uses 3% salicylic acid instead of selenium sulfide which I may try as well to alternate with Nizoral

I started using SolBan in place of Minoxidil and felt like I had an increase in shedding so not sure which route to go to combat hairloss. I am currently using Nizoral 2% 3x week. Based on what I'm reading on here I've also increased my Taurine intake to about 5 grams a day orally. Tried putting some in a separate bottle of SolBan for topical use but its not dissolving...

Progesterone

@JonnyCraig Any further updates on the Selsun experiment. I was curious about trying it however I'm a little wary now that almost all mentions of Selsun on the internet talk about the possibility of it causing hair loss. There are also a few studies citing this but they are from the 50's and 60's.

Diffuse hair loss associated with selenium (selsun) sulfide shampoo. - PubMed - NCBI

Selsun also makes "natural" version which uses 3% salicylic acid instead of selenium sulfide which I may try as well to alternate with Nizoral

I started using SolBan in place of Minoxidil and felt like I had an increase in shedding so not sure which route to go to combat hairloss. I am currently using Nizoral 2% 3x week. Based on what I'm reading on here I've also increased my Taurine intake to about 5 grams a day orally. Tried putting some in a separate bottle of SolBan for topical use but its not dissolving...

I've been using it EOD for a little while now, all is going well.

Last night's shampoo, counted 4 hairs total that shed..

If I were you I'd drop the nizoral and use Selsun Blue EOD instead.

OP
TubZy

TubZy

Yeah, lol I was the one who mentioned some people to try it. If you look in the "post finasteride" thread there is a lot of info on it there too, but yeah it stopped my shedding.

I tried salicylic shampoo but using it daily and after a few days my hair becomes weak, brittle and dried out. Selsun doesn't do that.

Progesterone

Yeah, lol I was the one who mentioned some people to try it. If you look in the "post finasteride" thread there is a lot of info on it there too, but yeah it stopped my shedding.

I tried salicylic shampoo but using it daily and after a few days my hair becomes weak, brittle and dried out. Selsun doesn't do that.

TubZy, from what I remember, you use Selsun Blue EOD, right? 5min on; rinse, 5min; rinse? or was it.. 10min each, for a total of 20min?

FYI, @chimdp here's a good testimonial for you..

hazel90650

on 4/16/2012 11:07:00 PM

More reviews by hazel90650

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Other

Eyes: Hazel

My Husband is the one with the dandruff issue. I on ther other had had the hair fall issue. After every shower, a trail of hair. It was BAD. Well I was in the shower and realized I had run out of my regular stuff. I saw the Selsun Blue & figured oh well can't wait doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Let me tell you from the first use no hair in the shower. My THIN FINE hair was full of body & volume. 3 months later my hair is very healthy, there is NO HAIR FALL ISSUE what so ever, And the bonus is that my hair seemed to grow quicker. LOVE this stuff. Oh and by the way..... for those facial acne break out.... use it as a face wash & it will clear your acne up. Use some aveeno lotion after to mosturize,

Stryker

Ive stopped using the Selsun , didn't like how it made me hair hair feel.. like it had been stripped of all it's oils and moisture .

On a side note has any tried one of those vitamin c based shower filter heads?

OP
TubZy

TubZy

TubZy, from what I remember, you use Selsun Blue EOD, right? 5min on; rinse, 5min; rinse? or was it.. 10min each, for a total of 20min?

FYI, @chimdp here's a good testimonial for you..

hazel90650

on 4/16/2012 11:07:00 PM

More reviews by hazel90650

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Other

Eyes: Hazel

My Husband is the one with the dandruff issue. I on ther other had had the hair fall issue. After every shower, a trail of hair. It was BAD. Well I was in the shower and realized I had run out of my regular stuff. I saw the Selsun Blue & figured oh well can't wait doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Let me tell you from the first use no hair in the shower. My THIN FINE hair was full of body & volume. 3 months later my hair is very healthy, there is NO HAIR FALL ISSUE what so ever, And the bonus is that my hair seemed to grow quicker. LOVE this stuff. Oh and by the way..... for those facial acne break out.... use it as a face wash & it will clear your acne up. Use some aveeno lotion after to mosturize,

Yes, EOD. 10min then 5min. I wouldn't go any longer than that, I think that should be plenty.

OP
TubZy

TubZy

Ive stopped using the Selsun , didn't like how it made me hair hair feel.. like it had been stripped of all it's oils and moisture .

On a side note has any tried one of those vitamin c based shower filter heads?

You were using the 2.5% lotion right daily right? TOO much selenium can actually cause hair loss, it actually lists it on the bottle and the studies too. I think 2.5% may be overkill, have you tried the 1% EOD?

OP
TubZy

TubZy

Okay thanks.

I actually do 5min then 5min, so even less than you.

Yeah, that should still work fine, especially if you have been using it for weeks now too. You really don't need much, I even think 1% is overkill too.

Progesterone

A few I think, IDK for sure though I really don't go on there much anymore, only occasionally.

Understandable.

Thanks.

I wonder what the mechanism for increased hairloss from selenium is?

It's a bit concerning since we're trying to achieve the opposite result and there are no 'studies' showing it increasing growth.

CoolTweetPete

I've been using a multi headed approach for about 4 months and it seems to be working very well. I finally have hair returning to the front of my hairline where I began losing it first.

1) Topical Cyproheptadine and T3 twice a day (morning and afternoon)
2) Red light therapy with LLLT device for 15-20 min every other day
3) Topical aspirin, caffeine, niacinamide prior to (2)
4) Topical magnesium oil
5) Brushing the topicals mentioned in (1) (3) (4) into the scalp with a boar fur brush
6) Occasional scalp massages

Although the topicals (1) are dissolved in DMSO, I think brushing them into the scalp potentiates the effect. I brush until there is a mild stinging sensation.

When I used to do scalp massages, I would hear popping sounds (possibly fibrosis of the scalp?) but as I've been doing them for a few months, there is far less sensation of tension and the tissue feels more responsive. This has led me to believe that circulation to the tissue can be paramount for some folks as it was for me.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Good stuff brother! Yeah, looks like through IGF 1 it promotes growth. I think we should try it out- it's cheap. Plus it's good for skin anyways.

Also, someone should try topical preg directly on scalp. The stuff won't dissolve in water and most likely MCT/coconut oil (maybe could dissolve some COQ10 powder in it too). I would be willing to try it but I hate sleeping with oils in my hair unless it can absorb in and hour and be washed out.

I just started topical creatine right now, so I plan to test that for about a week or so by itself.

So we have some topical items to try from this thread so far:

Rasberry ketones
Creatine
Carnitine
CoQ10 (lotion crafter has pure powder that we can dissolve in coconut oil)
Pregnenolone

careful with carnitine that is well known for its Nitric Oxide enhancing effects...

Creatine is also typically impure but let me know if you have sniffed out a quality source

Sulsen Blue now sells a zinc shampoo with 1% caffiene and I have been mixing that with the original selenium verison. I try to use it every day but I am often lazy and leave myself enough time to shower which is a shame because my hair looks so good onn the days I use it.

Dhair

I've been using a multi headed approach for about 4 months and it seems to be working very well. I finally have hair returning to the front of my hairline where I began losing it first.

1) Topical Cyproheptadine and T3 twice a day (morning and afternoon)
2) Red light therapy with LLLT device for 15-20 min every other day
3) Topical aspirin, caffeine, niacinamide prior to (2)
4) Topical magnesium oil
5) Brushing the topicals mentioned in (1) (3) (4) into the scalp with a boar fur brush
6) Occasional scalp massages

Although the topicals (1) are dissolved in DMSO, I think brushing them into the scalp potentiates the effect. I brush until there is a mild stinging sensation.

When I used to do scalp massages, I would hear popping sounds (possibly fibrosis of the scalp?) but as I've been doing them for a few months, there is far less sensation of tension and the tissue feels more responsive. This has led me to believe that circulation to the tissue can be paramount for some folks as it was for me.
Thanks for the detailed info, Pete. This is pretty interesting stuff to say the least.
How much cyproheptadine and T3 do you use during each application? And what kind of mag oil do you use?
Also, has anyone tried topical methylene blue and LLT? I know they work together synergistically, but I don't think anyone has tried it and reported back. I guess no one wants a blue scalp...

CoolTweetPete

I'm not too sure actually. I take the bottle and press it against my scalp, and press lightly. It released less than a drop as I distribute it along my hairline and up to the crown. I do this for both DMSO topicals and then begin brushing.

I use ArtNaturals mag oil. It's available on Amazon.

I used MB topically before and my scalp was blue for far too long. It also seemed to cause more shedding. Some people have voiced concern regarding using a photosensitizer like MB and exposing yourself to sunlight. Don't know if LLLT (red only) would carry such a concern.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals