Mouth Feels Dry And Burnt

iPeat

Thank you. I take a zinc supplement but maybe I'm not absorbing it. Gonna try downing some oysters instead. I eat a carrot every day, and recently upped it to 2 big carrots per day. Maybe too much. Glad to hear it sorted itself out for you. Do you remember how long it lasted? It's been a little over a week so far for me.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

Thank you. I take a zinc supplement but maybe I'm not absorbing it. Gonna try downing some oysters instead. I eat a carrot every day, and recently upped it to 2 big carrots per day. Maybe too much. Glad to hear it sorted itself out for you. Do you remember how long it lasted? It's been a little over a week so far for me.
I think it lasted about two weeks. I also experienced it another time when I was taking a bunch of diff herbs and it precipitated into a cold. I think it has a lot to do with endotoxins or viral load. Did you ever use monolaurin?

iPeat

I think it lasted about two weeks. I also experienced it another time when I was taking a bunch of diff herbs and it precipitated into a cold. I think it has a lot to do with endotoxins or viral load. Did you ever use monolaurin?

Yes, I have, but not anytime recently. Maybe I'll give it another shot. A few people around me are sick right now so maybe it's my body's way of fighting it off, or maybe I'm about to catch it. We shall see. So, oysters and coconut oil for dinner it is!

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

Yes, I have, but not anytime recently. Maybe I'll give it another shot. A few people around me are sick right now so maybe it's my body's way of fighting it off, or maybe I'm about to catch it. We shall see. So, oysters and coconut oil for dinner it is!
Keep us posted :)

iPeat

Keep us posted :)

I'm sorry to bother you about this old thread again, but just for curiosity's sake, have you had your adenoids removed (I had mine removed as a child)?

Also, I've tried a bunch of things and nothing has seemed to helpful. The "taste" in my mouth has improved significantly, but not directly as a result of anything I've tried. It shows up once or twice a day now, and is getting fainter by the day. I'm perplexed but happy it seems to be fading away. My instinct is telling me that it was some kind of infection that is slowly dying off, but that's just a guess really.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

I'm sorry to bother you about this old thread again, but just for curiosity's sake, have you had your adenoids removed (I had mine removed as a child)?

Also, I've tried a bunch of things and nothing has seemed to helpful. The "taste" in my mouth has improved significantly, but not directly as a result of anything I've tried. It shows up once or twice a day now, and is getting fainter by the day. I'm perplexed but happy it seems to be fading away. My instinct is telling me that it was some kind of infection that is slowly dying off, but that's just a guess really.
Nothing to be sorry about! I did have my adenoids removed. I also have huge tonsils which are still there. when I had the burning mouth sensation I also had swollen lymph nodes by my throat. I had labs done a few months after the burning mouth episode and my ebv and cmv levels were very high so it could very well be a symptom of a viral infection. Do you have any other symptoms of infection? I was also very fatigued.

iPeat

Nothing to be sorry about! I did have my adenoids removed. I also have huge tonsils which are still there. when I had the burning mouth sensation I also had swollen lymph nodes by my throat. I had labs done a few months after the burning mouth episode and my ebv and cmv levels were very high so it could very well be a symptom of a viral infection. Do you have any other symptoms of infection? I was also very fatigued.

Pretty interesting coincidence with adenoids. I was also very close to losing my tonsils at the time, but they determined it was too big of a procedure to do it all at one time, and I never had them removed.

I do have fatigue and poor endurance, but that has been the norm since I started eating in a "Peat" way, which was a year ago. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have some sort of long-term systemic infection or damage (from years of low-carb dieting), which my body now has the resources to confront and it's just taking a very long time to get rid of/repair. But no other obvious signs (to me, at least) of infection.

tara

I've also been taking activated charcoal. Maybe I'm getting rid of lots of toxins quickly?
Are you young? In the age when you need to be growing and maturing rather than losing weight - up to about 25 years?

If you are undereating, I'd be wary of taking charcoal regularly. It could be depriving you of nutrition you sorely need. It doesn't only take away toxin, it also takes away nutrients.

If I don't eat I have way more energy. So now I'm all confused and hyper vigilant about eating and don't even know when I am hungry or not anymore.
I'm not an expert, and I don't know you, but from what you are saying in this thread, and possibly in others over times, I'm wondering if it's possible that you could have a longer term pattern of undereating that could be leaving you vulnerable.
Whether or not all of this is relevant to you, possibly some of it might be?
Patients and General Public — The Eating Disorder Institute
There's also a related thread here:
I found the info on how much normal people need to eat, and the effects of long term energy imbalance, interesting. Also, for some people, undereating seems to be reinforced by feeling better and having more energy when undereating, and feeling worse when eating enough - reinforcing anorexia and related issues. That can make it tougher. If that's going on, it might be good to get support from a doctor who understands and is experienced with that (not all are - some doctors are anorexic themselves, or just don't know much), as well as other IRL support locally. (If you normally eat 2500 or 3000 cals, and this is just a rough week or two, then my hunch is probably wrong - feel free to ignore. :) But if your normal habits are under 200, as I think I've seen elsewhere, especially if you are young, then it might be worth looking into more. If I'm repeating myself to you by mistake, apologies.)

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

Are you young? In the age when you need to be growing and maturing rather than losing weight - up to about 25 years?

If you are undereating, I'd be wary of taking charcoal regularly. It could be depriving you of nutrition you sorely need. It doesn't only take away toxin, it also takes away nutrients.

I'm not an expert, and I don't know you, but from what you are saying in this thread, and possibly in others over times, I'm wondering if it's possible that you could have a longer term pattern of undereating that could be leaving you vulnerable.
Whether or not all of this is relevant to you, possibly some of it might be?
Patients and General Public — The Eating Disorder Institute
There's also a related thread here:
I found the info on how much normal people need to eat, and the effects of long term energy imbalance, interesting. Also, for some people, undereating seems to be reinforced by feeling better and having more energy when undereating, and feeling worse when eating enough - reinforcing anorexia and related issues. That can make it tougher. If that's going on, it might be good to get support from a doctor who understands and is experienced with that (not all are - some doctors are anorexic themselves, or just don't know much), as well as other IRL support locally. (If you normally eat 2500 or 3000 cals, and this is just a rough week or two, then my hunch is probably wrong - feel free to ignore. :) But if your normal habits are under 200, as I think I've seen elsewhere, especially if you are young, then it might be worth looking into more. If I'm repeating myself to you by mistake, apologies.)
Thank you @tara! Your post is very timely and accurate. I think I’ve probably been undereating since I was a teenager. Add to that orthorexia, lots of elimination diets and extreme exercise. When I first found Peat I was 26. I am 28 now and find that the best way to adopt a new lifestyle is slowly. There were many times I didn’t have immediate access to food and would not eat rather than eat something “bad”. I think this messed me up more than anything. Right now I am eating in a peat inspired way but including sourdough bread, pancakes and pasta. I don’t have much of an appetite for fruits right now other than apple and orange juice. Other times my appetite for fruits has been insatiable (mostly in the summer). Now it seems like I really need starches. This probably isn’t ideal but I think it’s better than undereating. In general I have a tendency towards being very hard on myself and have often thought as weight gain as a sign of defeat and failure. I’m letting go of that notion. My hands are almost always warm and my mood is more stable. I’ve also had “seasonal” allergies most of my life, which are almost non existent on days that I eat enough. It’s so interesting to go through this experience as someone who has a history of mental illness and realize that when I was most ill and unstable I was probably starving.

iPeat

Just writing my experience for anyone who reads this in the future.

As of yesterday, the burnt "taste" in my mouth is gone. I waited until today to confirm. My episode also culminated in a pretty nasty cold. It lasted about 3 weeks. Nothing I tried helped at all except for avoiding acidic drinks/food.

aquaman

I have the same response to serotonin antagonists like cypro and bromocriptine (just posted about it earlier). Burnt tongue is a great way of describing it.

Wonder if it’s an anti-serotonin thing?

iPeat

That's interesting. I have some cypro and am willing to experiment. Would you mind me asking how much you use when you notice that effect? I do a lot of different things regularly to lower serotonin so that would definitely be a possibility for me.

tara

BlueEyeWolf

Forum Supporter
I was having this dry and burnt feeling in my mouth and especially tongue this past summer. I narrowed it down to over using mouthwash with alcohol in it and also it occurred after day of drinking. It felt like I burnt it on hot coffee. No one could give me an answer so I researched and found out it was mainly the mouthwash and being careful with drinking. Mouth is sensitive to stress also.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals