Mouth Breathing / Oxygen

anp

From my limited research I understand that the bacteria in the mouth needs oxygen. So logically it would help to breath through your nose entirely?

Also from my understanding if you have a efficient energy cycle you breath more so therefore it is likely that you are needing to breath through the mouth.

Just curious what you guys think.

Footscray

The Buteyko people know a lot more than me. But generally speaking if we are healthy we will have almost unnoticeable nose breathing (like a baby). And you can observe an unhealthy older person with heavy laboured mouth breathing.
I often tape my mouth at night as a way to form the habit of purely nose breathing.
The idea is to have a better oxygen/CO2 ratio in the blood, that is increasing CO2 for most people and through the Bohr effect deliver more oxygen to the cells.

Herbie

A mouth breath takes in 5 times the oxygen then a nose breath and it stuffs up the transportation of hemoglobin. mouth breathing is too much oxygen and lowers co2 levels leading to hyperventilation and over time this creates degeneration and disease and mouth breezing is a sign of a highly stressed human.

The only time someone should need to mouth breath is if you had to escape some kind of predator and had to over exert themselves to escape death so people mouth breathing while they sleep is a huge warning sign of their state.

Mouth breathers seem to only take short gasps in there chest and don't breath deep down into the diaphragm and when someone breathes properly you can feel the respiration in the top of the skull and the feet, the whole body expands and retracts transporting energy around the body. (Lay someone down and put hands on head and then on feet to feel the movement)

Taking a mouth breath only into the top of the chest leaves the whole body just limp and one can imagine the kind of stress this would be creating usually have a shallow voice and seem to have poor oral health.

Mouth breathers usually have poor spinal alignment and can suffer from kyphosis, forward head posture and hunched over crushing all the organs and creating problems.

Don't quote me on its just off the top of my head but look into oxygen transportation and how too much oxygen stops transporting it to cells.

Its natural to breath in and out the nose while relaxed and the hairs filter the air.

On a side note I think when people are in cardiac arrest and someone performs cpr that its the c02 and 02 bringing them back and I would speculate if they did studys on resuscitating people with human breath vs pure oxygen machine that the rates of bringing someone back would be higher from the human breath.

Last edited:
OP
A

anp

The Buteyko people know a lot more than me. But generally speaking if we are healthy we will have almost unnoticeable nose breathing (like a baby). And you can observe an unhealthy older person with heavy laboured mouth breathing.
I often tape my mouth at night as a way to form the habit of purely nose breathing.
The idea is to have a better oxygen/CO2 ratio in the blood, that is increasing CO2 for most people and through the Bohr effect deliver more oxygen to the cells.
Do you think this improves your oral health.

I hadn't really completed my question in the original post but i was curious if people's dental health was directly related to mouth breathing.

Do you think this improves your oral health.

I hadn't really completed my question in the original post but i was curious if people's dental health was directly related to mouth breathing.

Well, saliva rebuilds teeth. Mouth breathing for an extended period tends to dry out the mouth. A dry mouth is a mouth that isn't re-mineralizing its teeth.

Distance runners supposedly have more dental problems than other athletes (not counting hockey players and UFC fighters:D). Could this be because of all the mouth breathing? I don't know.

JDreamer

A mouth breath takes in 5 times the oxygen then a nose breath and it stuffs up the transportation of hemoglobin. mouth breathing is too much oxygen and lowers co2 levels leading to hyperventilation and over time this creates degeneration and disease and mouth breezing is a sign of a highly stressed human.

The only time someone should need to mouth breath is if you had to escape some kind of predator and had to over exert themselves to escape death so people mouth breathing while they sleep is a huge warning sign of their state.

Mouth breathers seem to only take short gasps in there chest and don't breath deep down into the diaphragm and when someone breathes properly you can feel the respiration in the top of the skull and the feet, the whole body expands and retracts transporting energy around the body. (Lay someone down and put hands on head and then on feet to feel the movement)

Taking a mouth breath only into the top of the chest leaves the whole body just limp and one can imagine the kind of stress this would be creating usually have a shallow voice and seem to have poor oral health.

Mouth breathers usually have poor spinal alignment and can suffer from kyphosis, forward head posture and hunched over crushing all the organs and creating problems.

Don't quote me on its just off the top of my head but look into oxygen transportation and how too much oxygen stops transporting it to cells.

Its natural to breath in and out the nose while relaxed and the hairs filter the air.

On a side note I think when people are in cardiac arrest and someone performs cpr that its the c02 and 02 bringing them back and I would speculate if they did studys on resuscitating people with human breath vs pure oxygen machine that the rates of bringing someone back would be higher from the human breath.

Man you really nailed what I've been experiencing the better part of the last 10 years.

I bookmarked your post immediately.

Footscray

Thanks Benjamin your thread answers many things.
Recently in Australia on the radio it was reported that Australian hospitals were not going to give oxygen to heart patients anymore as they found no improvement of condition compared to not giving oxygen.

Herbie

Thanks Benjamin your thread answers many things.
Recently in Australia on the radio it was reported that Australian hospitals were not going to give oxygen to heart patients anymore as they found no improvement of condition compared to not giving oxygen.

Thats interesting. I recently renewed my first aid and CPR with my new Ray Peat knowledge and I started thinking about it when the paramedics arrive they put a machine of pure oxygen onto the patient while primitive way is to give big mouth breathes to the patient.

Herbie

Man you really nailed what I've been experiencing the better part of the last 10 years.

I bookmarked your post immediately.

I like to believe that this can be reversed, I imagine if you were mouth breathing for a long time then changed into deep nose breaths that it would be a life changing experience.

I noticed people try to tape their mouth shut at night to try and stop it but I would highly advice against this practice. Its really a bandaid over a wound that doesn't heal. Doesn't make rational sense to me.

I had a friend who did taped his mouth shut overnight night for 9 months and he said in a presentation that he did it for 9 months and no longer mouth breathed but later I went camping with him and my tent was 5 meters away from his and he fell asleep first and immediately loud mouth breathing all night.

If I was like what I described I would get into doing yoga to open up the rib cage, stretch the abdomens to allow the chest cavity to expand, relax the diaphragm and help bring the head back. I would visit a good chiropractor or osteopath as they will quickly bring the body back into alignment to allow the diaphragm to be able to function so the body would naturally return to autonomic nose breathing. It make take some conscious nose breathing practice at first.

You can test the tightness of the diaphragm by trying to put your hand up under your rib cage from the top of your abs and if you can get 2 knucles in all the way from the lower ribs up into the sternum (slightly tighter at the sternum) then the diaphragm is relaxed and fine but if its very tender and tight and can't even get 1 knuckle in then you know its tight and you can do massage and help relax it it.

I would do the bag breathing in the nose out the mouth 3 times a day.

And work on everything else we do from what Ray teaches.

The way we need to look at posture is that we are held up against the force of gravity by energy in the body and if the electrical charge is low then the body falls down into the ground so doing everything to increase energy or electrical charge in the body from calories to minerals will make the body stand straight and tall.

JDreamer

I like to believe that this can be reversed, I imagine if you were mouth breathing for a long time then changed into deep nose breaths that it would be a life changing experience.

I noticed people try to tape their mouth shut at night to try and stop it but I would highly advice against this practice. Its really a bandaid over a wound that doesn't heal. Doesn't make rational sense to me.

I had a friend who did taped his mouth shut overnight night for 9 months and he said in a presentation that he did it for 9 months and no longer mouth breathed but later I went camping with him and my tent was 5 meters away from his and he fell asleep first and immediately loud mouth breathing all night.

If I was like what I described I would get into doing yoga to open up the rib cage, stretch the abdomens to allow the chest cavity to expand, relax the diaphragm and help bring the head back. I would visit a good chiropractor or osteopath as they will quickly bring the body back into alignment to allow the diaphragm to be able to function so the body would naturally return to autonomic nose breathing. It make take some conscious nose breathing practice at first.

You can test the tightness of the diaphragm by trying to put your hand up under your rib cage from the top of your abs and if you can get 2 knucles in all the way from the lower ribs up into the sternum (slightly tighter at the sternum) then the diaphragm is relaxed and fine but if its very tender and tight and can't even get 1 knuckle in then you know its tight and you can do massage and help relax it it.

The way we need to look at posture is that we are held up against the force of gravity by energy in the body and if the electrical charge is low then the body falls down into the ground so doing everything to increase energy or electrical charge in the body from calories to minerals will make the body stand straight and tall.

I most definitely can't fit 2 knuckles up into the sternum. In fact that area is very tight and has always strangely protruded a bit as I've gotten older making me look bloated. It's also the same place I once dropped the bar by accident when I was bench pressing about 4 years ago.

Definitely need to get this resolved. I've long thought I should see a chiropractor. My posture is pour, I tend to slouch my shoulders and for whatever reason my head is always slightly tilted. Not surprisingly my face is very asymmetrical.

Herbie

I most definitely can't fit 2 knuckles up into the sternum. In fact that are has always strangely protruded a bit as I've gotten older and makes me looking bloated. It's also the same place I once dropped the bar by accident when I was bench pressing about 4 years ago.

Definitely need to get this resolved. I've long thought I should see a chiropractor. My posture is pour, I tend to slouch my shoulders and for whatever reason my head is always slightly tilted. Not surprisingly my face is very asymmetrical.

Right at the sternum its hard to get to knuckles normally but further along down the ribs it should be relatively easy to get 2 knuckles. I had a client who had pigeon chest where his sternum was concaved in and he mouth breathed and couldn't even get get finger nail depth under the ribs.

I used to have a functional scoliosis and my face matched the pattern of my spine with the nose, eyes, jaw not lined up all twisted up because if pelvis isn't aligned properly for which ever reason the body will do everything it can to compensate to keep the eyes level on the horizon for greatest survival.

I had a head on bike accident when I was a teenager and impacted on my sternum was very painful for months so yeah I know what that feels like.

Ive seen some chiro's who do work on the sternum so maybe someone with those skills could help.

All the best with your recovery.

Regina

Right at the sternum its hard to get to knuckles normally but further along down the ribs it should be relatively easy to get 2 knuckles. I had a client who had pigeon chest where his sternum was concaved in and he mouth breathed and couldn't even get get finger nail depth under the ribs.

I used to have a functional scoliosis and my face matched the pattern of my spine with the nose, eyes, jaw not lined up all twisted up because if pelvis isn't aligned properly for which ever reason the body will do everything it can to compensate to keep the eyes level on the horizon for greatest survival.

I had a head on bike accident when I was a teenager and impacted on my sternum was very painful for months so yeah I know what that feels like.

Ive seen some chiro's who do work on the sternum so maybe someone with those skills could help.

All the best with your recovery.
I used to have scoliosis, constant ribcage pain and really scary chest xray (doctors **** their head when they look at it) of a deeply depressed sternum. At least as a girl, it pretty much passes for cleavage.
As well, when I first started martial arts, I learned what a solar plexus is. It was sooooo tender then. And it was assumed to be a very tender vulnerable area.

Now, not at all. Not at all. I can really sink in under the ribs all around there and sternum too. All this used to be super tender (costochondritis). I can't find any where on my rib/sternum attachments that have any soreness at all.

I can't say which thing was more important to my change: aikido or Jaminet PHD (no gluten/no PUFA diet). Now more important improvement with Peating. No longer catabolic and much more resilient.
I really need before n after pics because this change is major.

L

lollipop

Very wise @BenjaminBullock I would add that yoga also assists in accomplishing this "straight and tall" effect by increasing and storing available vital energy.

Dezertfox

I feel absolutely awful every morning even with 6 hours sleep not like it's a lot but a normal person wouldn't feel this awful. I tried using a strap and tape to shut my mouth and woke up middle of the night and had even poorer sleep and more fatigue..What could it be? Got a sleep test done and doctor said poor sleep but no apnea..I am not sure how to fix this :(..This has been going on for over 15 yrs..I am only 29.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals