Mothers Can Transmit Psychiatric Issues (due To Stress) To Their Children / Grandchildren

haidut

Forum Supporter
As Ray said, at birth we are a mix of the stress blueprint of our parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. It is up to us to do what we can to change this blueprint for the better. At the very least, the inheritance landscape is looking a lot more Lamarckian these days. The Human Genome project is all but decommissioned at this point.

Moms can transmit psychiatric trouble to kids: study | Cornell Chronicle

"...Individual symptoms, such as anxiety, avoidance and a heightened response to stress, can be transmitted from mother to child and even grandchildren by multiple nongenetic mechanisms, a new study by investigators at Weill Cornell Medicine and other institutions shows. The pre-clinical findings, published May 13 in Nature Communications, may lead to tools to predict if a child is at risk of developing behavioral problems later in life after exposure to stress signals in the womb."

"...Studies in humans have previously suggested mothers can pass down behavioral traits to their children and grandchildren in a nongenetic manner. Grandchildren may be affected because fetuses produce early precursors to sperm and oocytes as they develop in the womb. A well-documented example of this transmission is the increased vulnerability of adult children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors to psychological stress."

javin

It is up to us to do what we can to change this blueprint for the better.

What can we do? :)

I bet lowering stress through diet/lifestyle, and incorporating brain-healthy activities like meditation would help.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What can we do? :)

I bet lowering stress through diet/lifestyle, and incorporating brain-healthy activities like meditation would help.

If I knew I was the product of a few very stressed generations taking pregnenolone and aspirin for years would probably be high on my list. Stress is really unavoidable, so in my view it can only be managed/controlled, and sometimes even blocked if you take pregnenolone early enough before the stress cascade sets in.

whodathunkit

To anyone with a high-strung mother (and grandmother), this isn't really news. It's simply confirmation of what we already know. :p :p

Gotta love it when science catches up to real life.

Aspirin has proven to tear up my stomach even at very low doses, even enteric coated. High strung mother has always taken quite a bit of it, without any appreciable decrease in anxiety or stress issues. I'm leery of it because I think it has effects on the intestinal lining that are independent of irritation due to ingestion. So you think preg alone can accomplish the same as the combo, @haidut?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think combining the aspirin with glycine or baking soda mitigates this issue. Search the forum to find more info.

lindsay

If I knew I was the product of a few very stressed generations taking pregnenolone and aspirin for years would probably be high on my list. Stress is really unavoidable, so in my view it can only be managed/controlled, and sometimes even blocked if you take pregnenolone early enough before the stress cascade sets in.

I have been wondering a bit about pregnenolone recently. I take it on days when I have to photograph weddings, which are extremely stressful for me and nothing I do has helped me to manage the stress yet. I still lose sleep the night before (sometimes two nights), which is stupid because I've been doing this for years.

Anyhow, the pregnenolone is REALLY helpful. 100 mg helps me calmly deal with people throughout the day. But my question is, is more better? I know RP experimented with something like 3 grams, but I'm wondering about side effects of much lower doses......

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Makrosky

Gotta love it when science catches up to real life.
Science will never catch up with real life because real life is much wider.

It reminds me that Borges story about a world map so precise that it ends up occupying the whole world thus rendering it useless and pernicious.

whodathunkit

Science will never catch up with real life because real life is much wider.
If it ever does the current sim will probably end itself and we'll have to start a whole new program. ;) :lol:

Nighteyes

It reminds me that Borges story about a world map so precise that it ends up occupying the whole world thus rendering it useless and pernicious.

Tanks for this! Helps me describe exactly what I have been thinking about - how Can we ever completely describe Real life when we are Real life. A kind of paradox there I Like to ponder.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Wow, once again I am amazed at how well big pharma tracks/controls research and is able to use it as PR for their drugs with low sales volume. Statin use has been rapidly declining in use due to stronger links to conditions like ALS and FDA's change of heart that cholesterol is not the evil man. I have been seeing more commercials about them in the last 12 months and brochures in the mail seem to be increasing in volume too. There was an article in the NYT in the late 90s about how one of the big pharma companies had 20 people in an office tasked with reading all major news outlets and compiling briefs about how relevant news would impact drug sales. I'd imagine by now this is probably an automated task happening in almost real-time with PR responses generated within a day.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have been wondering a bit about pregnenolone recently. I take it on days when I have to photograph weddings, which are extremely stressful for me and nothing I do has helped me to manage the stress yet. I still lose sleep the night before (sometimes two nights), which is stupid because I've been doing this for years.

Anyhow, the pregnenolone is REALLY helpful. 100 mg helps me calmly deal with people throughout the day. But my question is, is more better? I know RP experimented with something like 3 grams, but I'm wondering about side effects of much lower doses......

Any thoughts?

I don't know that there would be side effects but it may not be very effective beyond 400mg - 500mg daily. The old studies with joint conditions found no benefit beyond that dose and the newer trials with mental conditions also used similar dose, probably for the same reason. Pregnenolone massively converts into progesterone and allopregnanolone and if that rises too much it may sedate you. Other than that, a very high dose pregnenolone may have anti-androgenic effects in males but for females it seems to be very safe.

lindsay

I don't know that there would be side effects but it may not be very effective beyond 400mg - 500mg daily. The old studies with joint conditions found no benefit beyond that dose and the newer trials with mental conditions also used similar dose, probably for the same reason. Pregnenolone massively converts into progesterone and allopregnanolone and if that rises too much it may sedate you. Other than that, a very high dose pregnenolone may have anti-androgenic effects in males but for females it seems to be very safe.

Thank you for your input - greatly appreciate it! I will have to experiment with higher doses. The sedating effect would be well-enjoyed when my adrenaline is rushing like crazy and I need to calm down. Especially for sleep reasons. But I think it would be better to experiment with higher doses the days leading up to stressful work days, so as to keep me calm and allow for good sleep. It's weird how certain things cause us stress - I'd love to learn how people get past this and manage it. And it definitely gets worse the older I get.

jaa

Wow, once again I am amazed at how well big pharma tracks/controls research and is able to use it as PR for their drugs with low sales volume. Statin use has been rapidly declining in use due to stronger links to conditions like ALS and FDA's change of heart that cholesterol is not the evil man. I have been seeing more commercials about them in the last 12 months and brochures in the mail seem to be increasing in volume too. There was an article in the NYT in the late 90s about how one of the big pharma companies had 20 people in an office tasked with reading all major news outlets and compiling briefs about how relevant news would impact drug sales. I'd imagine by now this is probably an automated task happening in almost real-time with PR responses generated within a day.

I hope in the future the AI BS detector bots will stay a step ahead of the AI big pharma opportunistic spin bots.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would the aspirin be doing to the already stressed system?

At the very least it is cortisol synthesis inhibitor, glutamate antagonist, estrogen synthesis inhibitor, boosts dopamine, lowers serotonin, increases androgens, etc. I don't think there is a system or organ in the body where aspirin does not have some beneficial effect. After thyroid, it is probably the most systemically beneficial chemical in our possession.

Tarmander

I saw this interesting video the other day that presents the premise that most of the bad play we see from pharma companies is sympomology of an awful FDA regulatory system. At this point, to bring a brand new drug recently discovered to market, it costs 2.6 billion dollars and 14 years.

This has massively incentivized pharma companies away from R&D and generics. The lady interviewed said the pharma company she worked for used to be 50% R&D and willing to look at generics to 15% and only patentable drugs because of the cost.

In other words, pharma companies are the way they are because that's the only way to survive.

raypeatclips

What do you reckon the equivalent dosage of your 20mg from 1 stressnon dosage is, factoring in the DMSO?