Most vets and dog owners assume dogs should be on low carb

OP
J

jnklheimer

I give my dog a mouthful of raw honey a couple of times a day and she does well on this dog food I created for her. She also drinks lots of raw whole milk. 4+ years ago, she had a terrible hacking cough, which turned out to be congestive heart failure, which is irreversible the doctor said, and gave 6 months to live. So I took all dog food out of her diet and put her on hawthorn berry extract and no hacking cough! She was the runt of the little nobody wanted, with a "wonky" eye too, and she will be 13 years old this October :)

Just cook the meat and rice combo down until the rice absorbs all the water.
why hawthorne berry specifically?

OP
J

jnklheimer

Thank you very much. The caffeine thing is interesting, I always read online that dogs shouldn't have ANY at all. My dog got into a coffee once though and was completely fine too.

Thank you! Will try this

Wow very cool, I'll try that
i give my 75lb dog 2g of instant coffee daily.

Attachments

• 20210902_201343.jpg
    20210902_201343.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
J

jnklheimer

Oh, I think caffeine is pretty safe for dogs in measured doses from coffee, I know chocolate is really toxic but they seem to clear caffeine normally. The first few times I gave it she got a bit hyper and I started from 0.5g worked up to 2g. I think dogs can probably benefit from some in safe doses. I think it’s about 100-120mg caffeine max. Smaller dogs would tolerate less.

Oh, I think caffeine is pretty safe for dogs in measured doses from coffee, I know chocolate is really toxic but they seem to clear caffeine normally. The first few times I gave it she got a bit hyper and I started from 0.5g worked up to 2g. I think dogs can probably benefit from some in safe doses. I think it’s about 100-120mg caffeine max. Smaller dogs would tolerate less.

I would be leary.

Attachments

• 20210902_203711.jpg
    20210902_203711.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
J

jnklheimer

I would be leary.
My dog is 75lb and I give her about 1/3 teaspoon which is 2g. The teaspoon weight would be different depending on the size of the instant coffee too.

The ld50 is apparently similar in humans and dogs. 4tspoons for a 5lb human, if such a thing existed, would harm them as well.

When my dog was little I was giving her some macadamia nuts whenever would have some, until one morning I got up and she was laying upside-down in her little pillow bed paralyzed. Thankfully the paralization wore off. Had we given her anymore than we did it would have killed her. The vet said she was lucky to have survived that and that must are toxic to dogs. She had eaten them often and got lucky I guess. From then on I look up EVERYTHING before I give my little girl something new.

OP
J

jnklheimer

When my dog was little I was giving her some macadamia nuts whenever would have some, until one morning I got up and she was laying upside-down in her little pillow bed paralyzed. Thankfully the paralization wore off. Had we given her anymore than we did it would have killed her. The vet said she was lucky to have survived that and that must are toxic to dogs. She had eaten them often and got lucky I guess. From then on I look up EVERYTHING before I give my little girl something new.
Oh wow glad she is ok

gaze

my dog ignores honey on its own but will eat it mixed in with yogurt. sometimes i feel bad mixing it in since he seems to dislike all sugary stuff on its own. he prefers rice and potatoes as carbs

Goldenboi

Caffeine is sometimes used by Greyhound trainers for performance enhancement and other reasons like using it to hide other banned substances. (It is also a banned substance) Europe PMC

JamesGatz

Agreed - My dog seems to thrive on it and she begs me for it 3 times a day - the coffee I give her is regular dunkin donuts coffee not from grounds so I don't know if that makes a difference - she's a considerably small dog too so I am sometimes surprised she begs me for the amount that she does, but I'm confident she knows where enough is enough and I give her the amounts that I do because I've never seen her react badly to it whatsoever - she has a high metabolic rate, high energy, good bowel movements and 0 health problems as an older dog - I remember seeing a post on here by someone saying that dogs can tolerate as much caffeine as humans when adjusted for body weight I remember it was in a dog thread of sorts and I agree based on what I've observed

my dog ignores honey on its own but will eat it mixed in with yogurt. sometimes i feel bad mixing it in since he seems to dislike all sugary stuff on its own. he prefers rice and potatoes as carbs

Mine will take one lick and then I have to shove the honey in her mouth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals