Most Peaty Cuisine

What would be the most “Peaty” cuisine you can think of? Ikiria in Greece is probably the best example I’m aware of; They drink several cups of coffee a day, local wild honey consumption is high, goats meat/milk is prevalent all over the island

Lemminkäinen

Traditional Belgian cuisine is interesting. It has a lot of potatoes, tallow, fries, beef stew (carbonades), rabbit stew, shrimp, mussels, mussels and fries, waterzooi (fish, cream, vegetables and egg yolk stew), peaches stuffed with tuna, cheeses, steak tartare, fruit syrup (sriop de Liège), sugar and chocolate. We do have beer and lots of bread though.

gaze

traditional Iranian diet (which is still the primary way of eating for many due to the cultural pride) has a lot of dairy and fruits, white rice and stone-made breads, different types of meats and organs (liver is very common to eat at a street vendor), lots of tea and coffee, and butter and olive oil are used frequently.

US sanctions and poverty have made it alot worse now, there is more fast food, yeasted breads, vegteble oils, sodas etc.

Last edited:

gaze

Sounds ... crunchy :whistle
ironically its not uncommon for stones to show up in the bread. The main bread sangak is cooked on top of a bunch of mini heated stones and when the breads finished there's a ton of stones stuck in it that the baker has to pull out. Sometimes they miss a few lodged in.

OP
SatoshiPufamoto
Many Mediterranean diets have “Peaty” elements. Coffee, Dairy, Ruminant meat, sun and anti-microbial foods (oregano, garlic, EVOO). The overall food quality is very high and food preparation methods are more traditional than here in the US

Ynot

I have to say then a Hong Kong type diet is very non Peaty!
Non Peaty - Rice (starch), meat, including lots of pork and chicken (which could have PUFAs), no OJ, no dairy, no coffee (more tea)
Peaty - organ meats, seafood/shellfish, lots of gelatinous foods

skittles

Traditional Belgian cuisine is interesting. It has a lot of potatoes, tallow, fries, beef stew (carbonades), rabbit stew, shrimp, mussels, mussels and fries, waterzooi (fish, cream, vegetables and egg yolk stew), peaches stuffed with tuna, cheeses, steak tartare, fruit syrup (sriop de Liège), sugar and chocolate. We do have beer and lots of bread though.
Peaches stuffed with tuna??

Lemminkäinen

Yes. You can Google "pêche au thon". Just make sure to avoid putting pufa mayonnaise in the ingredients, you can just replace with butter or tallow.

mrchibbs

Like @CO2 Retainer said, most traditional cuisines were Peaty.

Right now, I'd say any place which emphasizes saturated fats over PUFAs is ''Peaty''.

French cuisine, using lots of butter, along with ruminant cuts of meat, cream, organ meat etc. is pretty good.

Indian cuisine, based either on ghee or coconut oil, is also very good. The vegetables are typically thoroughly cooked, and they have several tropical fruits. Japanese cuisine uses mostly butter instead of PUFAs as well. And they have rice, seafood, natto (which is extremely high in k2 and doesn't have the estrogenic effect of pure soy), beef, sushi. It's a pretty good place for food. Korea is not so bad either, but they use more vegetable oil, although butter is still a mainstay.

China is like 100% vegetable oils, same with southeast asia, so those places are awful.

makaronai

Right now, I'd say any place which emphasizes saturated fats over PUFAs is ''Peaty''.

French cuisine, using lots of butter, along with ruminant cuts of meat, cream, organ meat etc. is pretty good.

Indian cuisine, based either on ghee or coconut oil, is also very good. The vegetables are typically thoroughly cooked, and they have several tropical fruits. Japanese cuisine uses mostly butter instead of PUFAs as well. And they have rice, seafood, natto (which is extremely high in k2 and doesn't have the estrogenic effect of pure soy), beef, sushi. It's a pretty good place for food. Korea is not so bad either, but they use more vegetable oil, although butter is still a mainstay.

China is like 100% vegetable oils, same with southeast asia, so those places are awful.
I think you are wrong about Japanese using mostly butter for their cooking. It is usually vegetable oil (they call it “salad oil”) they use. Many Japanese are scared of butter thinking it is fattening.

mrchibbs

I think you are wrong about Japanese using mostly butter for their cooking. It is usually vegetable oil (they call it “salad oil”) they use. Many Japanese are scared of butter thinking it is fattening.

I could be, but I really don't think I'm wrong. Butter is used in everything, from fried rice to desserts to omelets. From looking at japanese cooking videos, they use butter or animal fat much more regularly than vegetable oils. It could be changing though.

I was gonna say French cuisine as well ?All that butter, cream sauces…..

mrchibbs

I was gonna say French cuisine as well ?All that butter, cream sauces…..

French cuisine is really the bedrock of modern ''world'' cuisine. You're right, everything starts with butter and cream, and all sorts of dishes and sauces evolve from there.

It's a great base to master, I like the channel ''French Cooking Academy'' on youtube, quite instructive.

French cuisine is really the bedrock of modern ''world'' cuisine. You're right, everything starts with butter and cream, and all sorts of dishes and sauces evolve from there.

It's a great base to master, I like the channel ''French Cooking Academy'' on youtube, quite instructive.
Being part French, I think it’s in my blood to love French cuisine haha. As as matter of fact I just made chicken in wine sauce. With mushrooms and cream. A pretty good peaty meal albeit, not on the low fat side.

mrchibbs

Being part French, I think it’s in my blood to love French cuisine haha. As as matter of fact I just made chicken in wine sauce. With mushrooms and cream. A pretty good peaty meal albeit, not on the low fat side.

That sounds delicious! I like these types of dishes a lot. I made chicken marsala recently, and it was amazing. Certainly not low fat, but these high fat meals are so satisfying, and if made from good quality butter+cream, it's really not the end of the world. I gravitate to higher fat contents because I have some dysphagia problems and it's easier for me when the food is a little fatty (it slides down easier).

gaze

am i correct in assuming france doesn't fortify bread with iron?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals