Most digestion friendly form of calcium supplement?

ursidae

I’ve tried powdered eggshell, calcium sulfate and calcium hydroxyapatite (MCHA). The last one (Now foods brand) was quite expensive, is reputed to be the most bioavailable and easily absorbable form but I can’t digest it at all and it has been giving me diarrhoea every single time. What’s been your experience?

Oleg

I’ve tried powdered eggshell, calcium sulfate and calcium hydroxyapatite (MCHA). The last one (Now foods brand) was quite expensive, is reputed to be the most bioavailable and easily absorbable form but I can’t digest it at all and it has been giving me diarrhoea every single time. What’s been your experience?
I believe magnesium bicarbonate is the most bioavailable form. Also, it’s my own experience. Use magnesium hydroxide and seltzer water/club soda method to make it. Only exists in a dissolved form, so you can’t create a powder.

B

Blaze

I believe magnesium bicarbonate is the most bioavailable form. Also, it’s my own experience. Use magnesium hydroxide and seltzer water/club soda method to make it. Only exists in a dissolved form, so you can’t create a powder.
No calcium at all in that magnesium bicarbonate. Perhaps you are referring to calcium bicarbonate my friend. What you recommended is indeed a good source of magnesium though.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Blaze

We have chickens and so I also tried super fine ground eggshells as a calcium source but did not react well to that form. Tried a bunch of supplements with less than impressive results. So far, the Sundown Calcium 1200mg with Vitamin D3 25mcg Softgels seems to be working best for me. It's made of calcium carbonate............

Sila

Maybe try mixing calcium carbonate (Now foods brand) in vinegar or lime/lemon juice. I only get digestion issues if I don't mix.

Oleg

No calcium at all in that magnesium bicarbonate. Perhaps you are referring to calcium bicarbonate my friend. What you recommended is indeed a good source of magnesium though.
I was too sleepy posting this. Thinking about magnesium, not calcium. My bad!

For me, calcium malate works great. No indigestion or diarrhea.

B

Blaze

I was too sleepy posting this. Thinking about magnesium, not calcium. My bad!
Nobody's perfect, my brother, I wouldn't worry about it. You are among friends here. At least you took the time to reply to try to help others. That's what this forum is all about.

Oleg

Nobody's perfect, my brother, I wouldn't worry about it. You are among friends here. At least you took the time to reply to try to help others. That's what this forum is all about.
Appreciate it. Thank you!

professor_sue

I recently tried the Now brand of calcium carbonate. I mixed it into ground beef to make my version of Georgi's Bioenergetic Beef Burger (the BBB). I think I put in waaaay too much, even in a pound of ground beef. I definitely got a reaction and some constipation, which calcium supplementation can cause. I have not had any more of it in several days and will try again but a drastically reduced amount so as to avoid digestive upset. Based on what I have read, calcium carbonate has the highest or best bioavailability of any of the calcium types. That's why I bought the Now brand powered calcium carbonate. I am severely lactose intolerant as well as casein and whey intolerant as well, so dairy will never be an option for me. I tried the eggshell thing but felt that the calcium carbonate powder would be more bioavailable.

B

Blaze

I recently tried the Now brand of calcium carbonate. I mixed it into ground beef to make my version of Georgi's Bioenergetic Beef Burger (the BBB). I think I put in waaaay too much, even in a pound of ground beef. I definitely got a reaction and some constipation, which calcium supplementation can cause. I have not had any more of it in several days and will try again but a drastically reduced amount so as to avoid digestive upset. Based on what I have read, calcium carbonate has the highest or best bioavailability of any of the calcium types. That's why I bought the Now brand powered calcium carbonate. I am severely lactose intolerant as well as casein and whey intolerant as well, so dairy will never be an option for me. I tried the eggshell thing but felt that the calcium carbonate powder would be more bioavailable.
Calcium carbonate is very absorbable if you have good stomach acidity. For people with low stomach acidity issues calcium citrate is better as it gets absorbed without requiring all that acid. People commonly get side effects like constipation usually by taking 2000mg or more a day and also forgetting to take into account the additional calcium they already get from the food they eat. It is possible to get very sick or even die with extreme excess calcium intake, so remember that with supplements more is not better.

How much calcium carbonate did you use in that Georgi's Bioenergetic Beef Burger?

professor_sue

Calcium carbonate is very absorbable if you have good stomach acidity. For people with low stomach acidity issues calcium citrate is better as it gets absorbed without requiring all that acid. People commonly get side effects like constipation usually by taking 2000mg or more a day and also forgetting to take into account the additional calcium they already get from the food they eat. It is possible to get very sick or even die with extreme excess calcium intake, so remember that with supplements more is not better.

How much calcium carbonate did you use in that Georgi's Bioenergetic Beef Burger?
I honestly have no idea but I think I used at least 2 full teaspoons and maybe a little more for the 1 lb of beef. I mixed it in to the beef then scrambled it. Ate about 4 servings so... I'm pretty sensitive so even the recommended dose of 1/2 tsp per day may be too much. I also have suffered from IBS-C for a long, long time but it's slowly resolving. I was concerned about calcium because I don't think I consume hardly any in my diet which consists mainly of meat, eggs, fruit, occasional honey, juice, an occasional Mexican Coke or Pepsi with real sugar ... on a rare occasion, some salad greens. No starch. I also responded poorly to any collagen supplements so I have avoided gelatin as well. Organ meats? Nope. So... eh, I'm 51 and doing pretty well other than thyroid and hormone imbalances! Lol... Everyone has something these days ???

B

Blaze

I honestly have no idea but I think I used at least 2 full teaspoons and maybe a little more for the 1 lb of beef. I mixed it in to the beef then scrambled it. Ate about 4 servings so... I'm pretty sensitive so even the recommended dose of 1/2 tsp per day may be too much. I also have suffered from IBS-C for a long, long time but it's slowly resolving. I was concerned about calcium because I don't think I consume hardly any in my diet which consists mainly of meat, eggs, fruit, occasional honey, juice, an occasional Mexican Coke or Pepsi with real sugar ... on a rare occasion, some salad greens. No starch. I also responded poorly to any collagen supplements so I have avoided gelatin as well. Organ meats? Nope. So... eh, I'm 51 and doing pretty well other than thyroid and hormone imbalances! Lol... Everyone has something these days ???
Well, considering that you did not list milk or cheese I think a calcium supplement for you would be a very necessary thing. Just keep it between 1200-2000mg a day.

professor_sue

Well, considering that you did not list milk or cheese I think a calcium supplement for you would be a very necessary thing. Just keep it between 1200-2000mg a day.
I will; thanks for the recommendation and tips! I definitely don't want to die of a calcium overdose!! Have an awesome day :)::):

B

Blaze

I will; thanks for the recommendation and tips! I definitely don't want to die of a calcium overdose!! Have an awesome day :)::):
You too, wishing you well, worth mentioning that dying from calcium overdose is very rare. Constpation and other symptoms are common though. You don't get much from your diet anyway so in your case supplementation is called for.

Nebula

I really like eggshell powder. I have an electric grain grinder mill that makes it into an extremely fine powder.

serling78

Interesting. I wish it gave me diarrhea. All forms of calcium equal constipation for me. I feel strong animosity towards calcium and wish it wasn't something our bodies needed. I would love to just avoid it as much as possible. But I digress... Citrate, carbonate, eggshells, stinging nettle, etc... all equal constipation. I went to a gastro, got a colonoscopy, nothing was found wrong. They just suggested b12 and folate. Anyways, did I mention I hate calcium? ?‍♂️