Moroccan Lentil Soup

Amazigh

I made this a couple of weeks ago very quickly in a pressure cooker. It came out slamming. Love Love Love this recipe. I omitted the cauliflower, though.

Adjust to make more Peaty as needed and enjoy.

Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe

@haidut I heard you say on Danny's webcast that you haven't found a tasty way of making lentils. This one is for you.

Makrosky

Indian Dhal and Turkish lentil soup recipes are also very very tasty. I love them.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I made this a couple of weeks ago very quickly in a pressure cooker. It came out slamming. Love Love Love this recipe. I omitted the cauliflower, though.

@haidut I heard you say on Danny's webcast that you haven't found a tasty way of making lentils. This one is for you.

Thanks. The cafeteria where I eat lunch has good preparations but they avoid any seasoning, fat or salt in order to cater to as many people as possible. I get the soup then add butter, parmesan and some olives and it becomes pretty tasty.

milk_lover

Am I missing something by not eating lentil soup? I've always loved the taste but I thought it can cause digestion issues since it's a legume.

Runenight201

Am I missing something by not eating lentil soup? I've always loved the taste but I thought it can cause digestion issues since it's a legume.

Lentils are good side dish and add good nutrition and fiber in my experience. They shouldn’t be the sole source of nutrition, but adding beef, rice, tomatoes, etc...makes for a jamtastic dish, and a much more palatable and digestible dish

Lentils are legumes and they cause me a lot problems in my gut and they are not the best Peat-wise.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve been very pleasantly surprised that I have zero issues with legumes. I avoided them for years because I heard so many bad things about them.

lvysaur

Same, I have no issues with smaller lentils, and especially with mung beans.

Larger beans can be sprouted to lessen the bacterial load. But smaller beans don't even need that, in my experience.

tygertgr

Great recipe. I like putting 50/50 lentils and split peas in a big jar of water for two days before cooking with them. They come to life and the water is bubbling and the taste changes (for the better). I would suggest this sprouting step and then also cooking in a pressure cooker for a long period, not just stove top boiling.

The recipe calls for vegetable or chicken stock. Below is a pretty good vegetable broth recipe, with some adjustments. I wouldn't char the vegetables, for example. You can plan to make a huge batch of this stuff some Saturday and then freeze a bunch in small jars.

I would like to add that vegetable soups are great for adding gelatin. You can add loads and it doesn't tend to overpower the desired flavor.

lvysaur

I like putting 50/50 lentils and split peas in a big jar of water for two days before cooking with them. They come to life and the water is bubbling
You only need a day of soaking. You can drain the water after a day (or save it if you want to use it) and the lentils will sprout after another day.

I like this method because there's less chance of bacterial growth.

milk_lover

Lentils are good side dish and add good nutrition and fiber in my experience. They shouldn’t be the sole source of nutrition, but adding beef, rice, tomatoes, etc...makes for a jamtastic dish, and a much more palatable and digestible dish
Honestly, I eat worse food on a daily basis like bread, and pasta and sometimes food high in PUFA that I didn't know. So now I won't shy away from lentil if it was served to me.. I still wouldn't seek it.

puella

Made this tonight- hard to say if I like the recipe or your avatar more :) VERY TASTY..and filling! Thanks for sharing!

I changed/added the following:
  • Soaked & sprouted the lentils for 2 days before cooking (as tygertgr suggested)
  • 1 med Japanese sweet potato instead of cauliflower
  • Only used chicken broth (didn't add the water)
  • Added gelatin
  • Used entire bunch of cilantro
  • Served w/ shredded cheese

OP
Amazigh

Amazigh

Made this tonight- hard to say if I like the recipe or your avatar more :) VERY TASTY..and filling! Thanks for sharing!

I changed/added the following:
  • Soaked & sprouted the lentils for 2 days before cooking (as tygertgr suggested)
  • 1 med Japanese sweet potato instead of cauliflower
  • Only used chicken broth (didn't add the water)
  • Added gelatin
  • Used entire bunch of cilantro
  • Served w/ shredded cheese
Awesome! glad you liked it!

Next time, I'm going to try sprouting them like you did. I completely omitted the cauliflower as well, but didn't replace it with anything. I also used only chicken broth and added gelatin.

Sharbysyd

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how this would be a Ray Peat recipe? From what I understand, Ray doesn't recommend legumes, cauliflower or tomatoes so how could this be considered a Ray Peat inspired recipe. Thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You just perceive, think and act according to what sounds nourishing. :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals