MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The metabolic rate (eating more without gaining extra weight) and ability to regulate body temperature are increased by early tryptophan deprivation.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Linoleic and linolenic acids, the "essential fatty acids," and other polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are now fed to pigs to fatten them, in the form of corn and soy beans, cause the animals' fat to be chemically equivalent to vegetable oil. In the late 1940s, chemical toxins were used to suppress the thyroid function of pigs, to make them get fatter while consuming less food. When that was found to be carcinogenic, it was then found that corn and soy beans had the same antithyroid effect, causing the animals to be fattened at low cost. The animals' fat becomes chemically similar to the fats in their food, causing it to be equally toxic, and equally fattening.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: What about olive oil? Isn't it more fattening than other vegetable oils?

“In this case, as with coconut oil, "fattening" has more to do with your ability to burn calories than with the caloric value of the oil. Olive oil has a few more calories per quart than corn or soy oil, but since it doesn't damage our ability to burn calories as much as the unsaturated oils do, it is less fattening.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: What about butter?

“Butter contains natural vitamin A and D and some beneficial natural hormones. It is less fattening than the unsaturated oils. There is much less cholesterol in an ounce of butter than in a lean chicken breast [about 1/5 as much cholesterol in fat as in lean meat on a calorie basis, according to R. Reiser of Texas A & M Univ., 1979.].” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Animal proteins, and fruits, because they contain the lowest levels of toxins, should form the basis of the diet.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“…it became apparent that the polyunsaturated fatty acids slowed metabolism, and reduced all nutritional needs. The thyroid hormone was powerfully suppressed by the "essential" fatty acids.

When we consider the two sets of experiments together, their outstanding feature is the toxicity of the polyunsaturated oils, which in one kind of experiment suppressed metabolism, and in the other kind of experiment created a variety of degenerative conditions.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The World Health Organization (WHO) has released a new guideline on non-sugar sweeteners (NSS), which recommends against the use of NSS to control body weight or reduce the risk of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs).

The recommendation is based on the findings of a systematic review of the available evidence which suggests that use of NSS does not confer any long-term benefit in reducing body fat in adults or children. Results of the review also suggest that there may be potential undesirable effects from long-term use of NSS, such as an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and mortality in adults.

"Replacing free sugars with NSS does not help with weight control in the long term. People need to consider other ways to reduce free sugars intake, such as consuming food with naturally occurring sugars, like fruit, or unsweetened food and beverages,” says Francesco Branca, WHO Director for Nutrition and Food Safety. "NSS are not essential dietary factors and have no nutritional value. People should reduce the sweetness of the diet altogether, starting early in life, to improve their health."

TradClare

“The metabolic rate (eating more without gaining extra weight) and ability to regulate body temperature are increased by early tryptophan deprivation.” -Ray Peat

What does he mean here? Early in life, as in childhood, or early in the day? And what would he say is the best way to be low in tryptophan - low muscle meat? Sorry if these are dumb questions! Love your posts

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What does he mean here? Early in life, as in childhood, or early in the day? And what would he say is the best way to be low in tryptophan - low muscle meat? Sorry if these are dumb questions! Love your posts
Yes early in life. I have lowered my tryptophan consumption for more than a year now cutting out egg whites and just eating the yolks and cutting back on meat. Here is another good bit from him on tryptophan….

“Tryptophan, from dietary protein or from catabolism of muscles, is turned into serotonin which activates the pituitary stress hormones, increasing cortisol, and intensifying catabolism, which releases more tryptophan. It suppresses thyroid function, which leads to an increased need for the stress hormones. Serotonin impairs glucose oxidation, and contributes to many of the problems associated with diabetes.”
-Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
@TradClare
“Muscle protein is very rich in tryptophan and cysteine, and these amino acids suppress thyroid gland function, and are potentially toxic to nerves, especially in the presence of cortisol and hypoglycemia.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When hormones in the body are not in balance, people may experience physical and mental issues. As mentioned above, earthing has a positive effect on cortisol and adrenaline levels in the body. Similarly, grounding can lead to favorable effects on women’s menstrual cycles.

Women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) experience mood swings, weight gain, and headaches, among other symptoms. Moreover, women with hormonal imbalances can experience intense stomach aches and face acne during menstrual cycles. Grounding can work to correct these hormonal imbalances, thus having a beneficial effect on physical and mental health.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Well my struggle to put weight on has been futile. Unless I start eating unhealthy foods, that slow my digestion, and bad oils too, from restaurant visits, I just keep losing weight eating simply. I thought taking an aspirin and rubbing on some vitamin E would cancel a restaurant visit out, but it still slows my metabolism down and causes inflammation. So this last month or so I have avoided restaurants and the weight I had worked so hard to put on came right back off. I am almost 142 now, where I was trying to gain weight from 141 to stay at a muscular 147.

The good news is I am good with this weight, since it is mostly muscle. The “skinny fat” 142 had my face looking hollow. Things that I am doing now is I swapped the sugar for raw honey, which means no more nightly ice cream and orange Julius’s. I was noticing that a high sugar orange Julius was a little too calming, and made me sleepy. Now I drink milk and pair it with honey, and maybe even shoot down two tablespoons of collagen powder and I am good to go, for 19 grams of protein just like that. If I have a starch carb I minimize it by having half a flour tortilla for my egg taco, which amounts to 14 carbs rather than 28 in one sitting. I have been enjoying white sweet potatoes in my bone broth soup or a bowl of them boiled with butter, sour cream and spring onion, or sometimes hot sauce. I eat sprouted brown rice cereal and milk again lately too. I have even made mashed potatoes and gravy a couple of times, which has the scale up the next day a half pound, but it is back off again the next morning. I do eat ground beef taco meat that I make with my gelatinous bone broth, shrimp more often and corn and soy free eggs everyday. I squeeze sweet oranges everyday too. I think having the sugar gone and lowering my fat intake has me more energized and my face looking healthier. I would say half of my days I am grain free, and on the days that I do have them it is minimal.

Attachments

• 6FE7CF18-145B-498C-B0F8-3E8DB72EBE1C.jpeg
    6FE7CF18-145B-498C-B0F8-3E8DB72EBE1C.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have been eating homemade soup more often, mostly white sweet potato and spring onion in a gelatinous chicken bone broth, I make, but yesterday I made a homemade white sweet potato and broccoli curry, with red curry paste and I sautéed fresh garlic and green onion in unrefined coconut oil, to get that coconut flavor, and added in milk and cream, using no coconut milk. Sometimes I make a beef stew with parsnips and maybe add in a white sweet potato, but I always add in a good dose of apple juice. I love homemade soups!

“It takes an energy deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 lb. Cutting back 500 calories per day leads to a weight loss of 1 lb. in about a week, which is about the fastest weight loss that the American Dietetic Association recommends. The number of calories you can cut from your diet by eating only soup depends on what you eat now and the types of soup you start to eat. The United States Department of Agriculture recommends an active adult woman should eat about 2,200 calories per day to maintain weight. Dropping below this intake level should result in weight loss.“

coffeelover

UPDATE:

Well my struggle to put weight on has been futile. Unless I start eating unhealthy foods, that slow my digestion, and bad oils too, from restaurant visits, I just keep losing weight eating simply. I thought taking an aspirin and rubbing on some vitamin E would cancel a restaurant visit out, but it still slows my metabolism down and causes inflammation. So this last month or so I have avoided restaurants and the weight I had worked so hard to put on came right back off. I am almost 142 now, where I was trying to gain weight from 141 to stay at a muscular 147.

The good news is I am good with this weight, since it is mostly muscle. The “skinny fat” 142 had my face looking hollow. Things that I am doing now is I swapped the sugar for raw honey, which means no more nightly ice cream and orange Julius’s. I was noticing that a high sugar orange Julius was a little too calming, and made me sleepy. Now I drink milk and pair it with honey, and maybe even shoot down two tablespoons of collagen powder and I am good to go, for 19 grams of protein just like that. If I have a starch carb I minimize it by having half a flour tortilla for my egg taco, which amounts to 14 carbs rather than 28 in one sitting. I have been enjoying white sweet potatoes in my bone broth soup or a bowl of them boiled with butter, sour cream and spring onion, or sometimes hot sauce. I eat sprouted brown rice cereal and milk again lately too. I have even made mashed potatoes and gravy a couple of times, which has the scale up the next day a half pound, but it is back off again the next morning. I do eat ground beef taco meat that I make with my gelatinous bone broth, shrimp more often and corn and soy free eggs everyday. I squeeze sweet oranges everyday too. I think having the sugar gone and lowering my fat intake has me more energized and my face looking healthier. I would say half of my days I am grain free, and on the days that I do have them it is minimal.
You look fantastic! We were camping this week and I ate pretty "normal" (for camping) but walked a ton and had a nonfat dry milk/collagen/sugar mixture I put in my coffee and tried to snack mostly on fruit and not over eat the chips and stuff like that...and I lost a couple pounds. Ready to get back on track though and get the pufa out of my body 😵‍💫

coffeelover

Also, I've noticed although I haven't been losing pounds in the last couple months, I do feel like my shape is changing. My waist has gotten smaller so I have a slightly more hourglass shape which I am loving. I think it's from the progesterone cream maybe???

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You look fantastic! We were camping this week and I ate pretty "normal" (for camping) but walked a ton and had a nonfat dry milk/collagen/sugar mixture I put in my coffee and tried to snack mostly on fruit and not over eat the chips and stuff like that...and I lost a couple pounds. Ready to get back on track though and get the pufa out of my body 😵‍💫
Thanks girl! I can see camping being a weight loss activity. You have to work harder to make meals and the brain is working harder, burning more calories, navigating the new environment. All the fresh air and vitamin D would factor into the equation too. I think giving up tv last September has really amped up my metabolism, because my mind is more active reading and doing other things…

“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.” Ray Peat