MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Weight loss is calories in, calories out. It's why animals get fat in the Summer by overeating foods, then lose their weight by hibernating in the Winter.
You could eat potato chips and McDonalds, or drink orange juice and milk; makes no difference so long as you're in a calorie deficit.

Obviously some diets are far healthier and sustainable than others, though.

I've lost 40 pounds in 6 months, and have 60 more to go. It's difficult and painful to lose weight (at least for me), but everyone can do it with the right knowledge, discipline, and scientific understanding.
Congratulations on your weight loss success! That is a huge amount to lose! I don’t know that it is as simple as calories in and calories burned being the key to weight loss for me. I believe, as RP does, that what the calories are made of matters. I have lost 20 pounds since starting this thread to prove that, and it wasn’t painful at all. There was no diet I was on and there is not diet to go off of. It is all in the the timing of food and how you pair things that will enable me to not have to worry about losing weight again.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
oh yeah coconut mold is present in many of the ones ive bought... but normally ill just discard those parts. not sure that coconut has much nutritional benefit aside from its subjective deliciousness to ones tastebuds (to me its amazing)...

compared to fresh coconut milk, raw a2 cows milk is agreeably much better on the gut and its biochemistry, being replete in most every vitamin, mineral, and trace element humans require.

not sure how well the blood type diet holds true for others, although after quickly brushing up on the suggested foods for my type - and reading that milk, red meat, oranges and tropical fruits are 'harmful'... well lets just say it doesn't have much merit for my bodies likes/dislikes lol
I put my dad on the Blood Type Diet a decade ago and and it cured his rheumatoid arthritis, which never returned again, he also easily lost all of his excess weight in the process. I learned about the diet from our family chiropractor. It cured the problems she was having, and I was impressed.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah, I know this intellectually, but it is incredibly hard to maintain a deficit when it makes me moody, stressed, anxious, and not sleep well. That's my main roadblock--I feel crappy when I reduce my calories
Don’t reduce you calories, up your sugar carbs and lower the starches and fat, it’s magic! Eat and enjoy eating!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body." -Ray Peat

D

Dan77

Congratulations on your weight loss success! That is a huge amount to lose! I don’t know that it is as simple as calories in and calories burned being the key to weight loss for me. I believe, as RP does, that what the calories are made of matters. I have lost 20 pounds since starting this thread to prove that, and it wasn’t painful at all. There was no diet I was on and there is not diet to go off of. It is all in the the timing of food and how you pair things that will enable me to not have to worry about losing weight again.
Thank you :) and congratulations to you on your 20 pounds!

Believe it or not, it actually is that simple.

Calories are a commonly misunderstood scientific fact because diet/health communities make money off struggling people, whether it’s Keto, Paleo, Vegan, or whatever + billions of dollars are spent on trying to sell “X” and “Y” so people are understandably confused.

Everyone wants that “magic pill” and “magic diet”, that “simple quick fix”. People refuse to believe in scientific facts because it means they have to work hard to lose weight, and who wants that?

Losing 20 pounds would not be scientific proof that Ray’s principles are true.

For example, if I went on a diet of apples and walnuts, and lost weight, I could make a correlation with apples/walnuts and weight loss, that it “burns fat” and is “a quick fix”. But in reality, it’s false, and all just came down to calories, but false correlations obscure that fact.

I don’t like to be a contrarian and disagree with others :) but it’s unfair for others that struggle with weight and wonder why. There is a scientific explanation.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it (Aguiar, et al., 2007, 2008), probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids. Sedentary living a high altitude has beneficial effects on mitochondria similar to moderate exercise at sea level (He, at al., 2012.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you :) and congratulations to you on your 20 pounds!

Believe it or not, it actually is that simple.

Calories are a commonly misunderstood scientific fact because diet/health communities make money off struggling people, whether it’s Keto, Paleo, Vegan, or whatever + billions of dollars are spent on trying to sell “X” and “Y” so people are understandably confused.

Everyone wants that “magic pill” and “magic diet”, that “simple quick fix”. People refuse to believe in scientific facts because it means they have to work hard to lose weight, and who wants that?

Losing 20 pounds would not be scientific proof that Ray’s principles are true.

For example, if I went on a diet of apples and walnuts, and lost weight, I could make a correlation with apples/walnuts and weight loss, that it “burns fat” and is “a quick fix”. But in reality, it’s false, and all just came down to calories, but false correlations obscure that fact.

I don’t like to be a contrarian and disagree with others :) but it’s unfair for others that struggle with weight and wonder why. There is a scientific explanation.
There are a hundred different ways to lose weight and I have done many of them with everyone impressed. My goal isn’t easy weight loss anymore, it is keeping it off, while warding off sickness and signs of aging. That is a balancing act. I don’t go to the gym, take medicine or supplements, I don’t have any medical or weight issues at 59, and I thank Dr. Peat for that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Even in rich cultures, protein deficiency, inappropriate exercise, and emotional tension will contribute to premature aging of the individual, and damage to the offspring.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Intense exercise damages cells in ways that cumulatively impair metabolism. There is clear evidence that glycolysis, producing lactic acid from glucose, has toxic effects, suppressing respiration and killing cells. Within five minutes, exercise lowers the activity of enzymes that oxidize glucose. Diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and general aging involve increased lactic acid production and accumulated metabolic (mitochondrial) damage." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Lactic acid produced by intense exercise causes calcium loss from bone (Ashizawa, et al., 1997), and sodium bicarbonate increases calcium retention by bone. Vitamin K2 (Yamaguchi, et al., 2003) blocks the removal of calcium from bone caused by parathyroid hormone and prostaglandin E2, by completely blocking their stimulation of lactic acid production by bone tissues. Aspirin, which, like vitamin K, supports cell respiration and inhibits lactic acid formation, also favors bone calcification. Vitamin K2 stimulates the formation of two important bone proteins, osteocalcin and osteonectin (Bunyaratavej, et al., 2009), and reduces the activity of estrogen by oxidizing estradiol (Otsuka, et al, 2005)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The amount of injury needed to increase the endotoxin in the blood can be fairly minor. Two thirds of people having a colonoscopy had a significant increase in endotoxin in their blood, and intense exercise or anxiety will increase it. Endotoxin activates the enzyme that synthesizes estrogen while it decreases the formation of androgen (Christeff, et aI., 1992), and this undoubtedly is partly responsible for the large increases in estrogen in both men and women caused by trauma, sickness or excessive fatigue.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The fatigue produced by “over-training” is probably produced by a tryptophan and serotonin overload, resulting from catabolism of muscle proteins and stress-induced increases in serotonin. Muscle catabolism also releases a large amount of cysteine, and cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan suppress thyroid function.” -Ray Peat

coffeelover

Don’t reduce you calories, up your sugar carbs and lower the starches and fat, it’s magic! Eat and enjoy eating!
I am really trying! I feel like I've made a lot of improvements in this area but then again, maybe just not enough. I stopped buying skim milk this month because I worry about the added vitamins. So I'm skimming the cream off my raw or Straus milk--it is still fairly creamy after. Should I maybe try having unlimited glasses of this 1-2% milk with honey throughout the day? Replacing a meal with it and using it for snacks rather than my yogurt/cottage cheese with cooked fruit? Or would you think that's too much fat? I just need something easy and brainless that satisfies. I could try using more juice or sugar-sweetened soda between meals...but what protein would I pair it with? I really need to figure this out.

coffeelover

UPDATE:

Today I am switching my orange Julius habit to an orange “flip”. I am finding that the orange Julius was lower my blood sugar levels too much from the peels, which is great for diabetics, but they were making me so hungry shortly after having one. I was having them with an egg yolk fried in butter to balance it better, but then I read that cooking egg yolks destroys the biotin, the egg whites interfere with the biotin too, so I figured putting the raw egg yolk in my orange shake instead of the peel was a better trade. I am gonna have two to three of these a day now. My stomach is still flat as can be, I am sleeping wonderfully through the night and am full of youthful energy!

For my “flip” I blended the fresh juice of one orange, a half a cup of raw whole milk, about a tablespoon of raw white honey, a raw corn and soy free egg yolk, a big pinch of salt and one ice cube. It is delicious!
This sounds delicious. I made something similar when I was pregnant--almost every day. Either this or a chocolate milkshake with egg yolks added. Are you replacing meals with it?

D

Dan77

I am really trying! I feel like I've made a lot of improvements in this area but then again, maybe just not enough. I stopped buying skim milk this month because I worry about the added vitamins. So I'm skimming the cream off my raw or Straus milk--it is still fairly creamy after. Should I maybe try having unlimited glasses of this 1-2% milk with honey throughout the day? Replacing a meal with it and using it for snacks rather than my yogurt/cottage cheese with cooked fruit? Or would you think that's too much fat? I just need something easy and brainless that satisfies. I could try using more juice or sugar-sweetened soda between meals...but what protein would I pair it with? I really need to figure this out.
High protein Greek Yogourt + Fruit is easy and “brainless”, as you say.
Has Protein, Carbs, all your nutrients, while being low calorie and low fat.

Another would be spiced (chili, Paprika, salt, garlic, onion, etc.) lean chicken breast with orange juice.
Cook 6 of them, eat 2 a day. Quick and easy.

Remember though, you should get at least 40 G fat a day. Going on TOO low fat diets can actually cause gallstones. 40 G is enough for daily contractions and bile movement.
Proof: Gallbladder motility and gallstone formation in obese patients following very low calorie diets. Use it (fat) to lose it (well) - PubMed

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think your nighttime foods are what is holding you back. You are eating too much food before bed. Eat your big meals during the day. I have been having egg yolks with the juice of an orange or two during the day, and my coffees with milk sugar and salt in the mornings. Right now at 7:30 I am having an orange Julius’s without my usual peel in it, just the juice of 1 orange, a half of a cup of raw whole milk, a giant spoonful of white whipped honey and ice to make it like a shake. Before bed I will have some salty homemade bone broth. I ate everything I wanted that was heavy during the day, including a few leftover rigatoni’ noodles with homemade Alfredo sauce that I tossed with leftover rib eye steak and some well cooked buttered broccoli. I also had a hot dog on a buttered organic Hawaiian type sweet roll, made with coconut oil, and topped it with ketchup mustard and relish. I drink milk all day in half cup increments, like every hour and even half hour if I feel like I need it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This sounds delicious. I made something similar when I was pregnant--almost every day. Either this or a chocolate milkshake with egg yolks added. Are you replacing meals with it?
No it is just something to have between coffees. I have to be mindful to find ways to get more vitamin C throughout the day. So oranges and my homemade berry & honey juice are my easiest least filling ways.

I found this post from you on my other weight loss thread. Go back to this.

Attachments

• 0B13337D-3A64-4CD3-B7EB-01B75A321A0F.jpeg
    0B13337D-3A64-4CD3-B7EB-01B75A321A0F.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 23

coffeelover

No it is just something to have between coffees. I have to be mindful to find ways to get more vitamin C throughout the day. So oranges and my homemade berry & honey juice are my easiest least filling ways.

I found this post from you on my other weight loss thread. Go back to this.
I started to feel bad after a month or so. I'm trying to remember what happened. I know I took a break for birthdays which was a whole week after this post, then for Thanksgiving which was like 2 weeks because of all the celebrations and leftovers....then Christmas baking....it's no wonder people always feel more motivated in January...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is my recent pic from a week ago.

Attachments

• 7123F996-AD4C-46B7-89B3-72BABF0A0DAF.jpeg
    7123F996-AD4C-46B7-89B3-72BABF0A0DAF.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I started to feel bad after a month or so. I'm trying to remember what happened. I know I took a break for birthdays which was a whole week after this post, then for Thanksgiving which was like 2 weeks because of all the celebrations and leftovers....then Christmas baking....it's no wonder people always feel more motivated in January...
Yeah you said that in my other thread, that you had been eating a lot of starches and extra fats because of a couple of functions and that you needed to get back on track. Your update above was before your functions.