MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Today I am switching my orange Julius habit to an orange “flip”. I am finding that the orange Julius was lower my blood sugar levels too much from the peels, which is great for diabetics, but they were making me so hungry shortly after having one. I was having them with an egg yolk fried in butter to balance it better, but then I read that cooking egg yolks destroys the biotin, the egg whites interfere with the biotin too, so I figured putting the raw egg yolk in my orange shake instead of the peel was a better trade. I am gonna have two to three of these a day now. My stomach is still flat as can be, I am sleeping wonderfully through the night and am full of youthful energy!

For my “flip” I blended the fresh juice of one orange, a half a cup of raw whole milk, about a tablespoon of raw white honey, a raw corn and soy free egg yolk, a big pinch of salt and one ice cube. It is delicious!

Attachments

• F8F6688B-E30F-423A-8F0A-CB087B3C7BBF.jpeg
    F8F6688B-E30F-423A-8F0A-CB087B3C7BBF.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 12

coffeelover

I'm not feeling confident about my food choices right now. I feel like I'm just making these choices randomly based on things I've read here but not really putting it all together with confidence.

So I've been having these egg bites I made for breakfast. Cooked spinach, bell peppers, onion, mixed with eggs, low fat cottage cheese, and a sprinkle of cheddar. Glass of orange juice with this and then coffee with a bit of steamed milk, sugar, and collagen.

Then I do carrot salad for a snack. Lunch today is pictured below. Shrimp cooked in coconut oil, and no fat greek yogurt with homemade pear sauce. I'll have another coffee too, and I keep finding myself snacking on dark chocolate in the afternoon.

Dinner tonight is a beef shank stew with dried apricots. I'm serving it with potatoes and torn on whether to eat them or not. Is a glass of juice better to have with the beef?

Dessert is "no cream ice cream" with some melted chocolate/coconut oil on top and a banana sliced up.

Feeling pretty good, except in the stressful afternoons. I'm trying to get 9 hours of sleep every night. I've just come through a couple months of sickness in our family but I'm finally getting back into walking and hoping to strength train again once I have more energy and my body Temps are up. Not losing any weight right now, but also not really trying to because I think there might be some deeper healing needing to take place.

Attachments

• 16729552208884845321482676395534.jpg
    16729552208884845321482676395534.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm not feeling confident about my food choices right now. I feel like I'm just making these choices randomly based on things I've read here but not really putting it all together with confidence.

So I've been having these egg bites I made for breakfast. Cooked spinach, bell peppers, onion, mixed with eggs, low fat cottage cheese, and a sprinkle of cheddar. Glass of orange juice with this and then coffee with a bit of steamed milk, sugar, and collagen.

Then I do carrot salad for a snack. Lunch today is pictured below. Shrimp cooked in coconut oil, and no fat greek yogurt with homemade pear sauce. I'll have another coffee too, and I keep finding myself snacking on dark chocolate in the afternoon.

Dinner tonight is a beef shank stew with dried apricots. I'm serving it with potatoes and torn on whether to eat them or not. Is a glass of juice better to have with the beef?

Dessert is "no cream ice cream" with some melted chocolate/coconut oil on top and a banana sliced up.

Feeling pretty good, except in the stressful afternoons. I'm trying to get 9 hours of sleep every night. I've just come through a couple months of sickness in our family but I'm finally getting back into walking and hoping to strength train again once I have more energy and my body Temps are up. Not losing any weight right now, but also not really trying to because I think there might be some deeper healing needing to take place.
I am not seeing enough sugars to balance those proteins. Your body is probably craving more sugar hence the chocolate craving. Unfortunately chocolate is so high in fat. Where is your abundance of calcium needed to burn unwanted fat? I would also switch the coconut oil to butter. That coconut oil is precarious. I e-mailed Ray Peat about it and he said butter is better than coconut oil. I would eat the potato tonight and have the shanks for lunch tomorrow. That meat tonight is not only going to be stimulating, disturbing deep sleep, but all that fat is going to be stored. That much food late in the day, with a heavy dinner AND dessert is going to pack on more fat.

coffeelover

So, I am usually having like 3 cups of coffee with milk and sugar and collagen. Like 2 spoonfuls of sugar per cup. I also am having juice here and there if I feel like it, am thirsty (water makes me feel sick sometimes) etc. But yeah, so much chocolate. I feel like I go to it when I'm stressed. I do eat cheese and cottage cheese most days, Like for a snack. Cheese with some fruit or honey. Homemade marshmallows. Homemade gummies made from grape juice. So....there's probably more sugar there than it seems 😂

coffeelover

I can't get my head around eating just potatoes for dinner. I think I would feel bloated but also not satisfied. The whole purpose of the potatoes is to soak up the yummy sauce from the meat 😜 I have been trying to reduce meat intake but JUST dairy for the protein at a meal doesn't usually satisfy. So I do eggs one meal, dairy as much as possible, and if I'm having meat at 2 meals doing a smaller portion. I've been making your chicken wings too, with honey mustard, and my family really likes them.

coffeelover

I am not seeing enough sugars to balance those proteins. Your body is probably craving more sugar hence the chocolate craving. Unfortunately chocolate is so high in fat. Where is your abundance of calcium needed to burn unwanted fat? I would also switch the coconut oil to butter. That coconut oil is precarious. I e-mailed Ray Peat about it and he said butter is better than coconut oil. I would eat the potato tonight and have the shanks for lunch tomorrow. That meat tonight is not only going to be stimulating, disturbing deep sleep, but all that fat is going to be stored. That much food late in the day, with a heavy dinner AND dessert is going to pack on more fat.
What is precarious about the coconut oil? Do you have a post about that? I thought coconut oil sped up metabolism and helped increase the thyroid function?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What is precarious about the coconut oil? Do you have a post about that? I thought coconut oil sped up metabolism and helped increase the thyroid function?
I posted my e-mail exchange to him about it on page 15 of this thread. I just felt that coconut oil was hindering me from burning fat, like it was hard for my body to use it as efficiently as butter, so I put the question out there to him. Recently, like a week or so ago, my son said he wasn’t wanting to eat oils anymore, meaning coconut oil and olive oil, since that is all we have in our house. He said he just doesn’t feel as good with it as when I cook with butter and ghee. This was independent from anything I ever said to him about how I felt and what RP said. My unwanted fat dropped off quicker without ADDED oils and even added butter. I think those stories about pigs losing weight, and Ray Peat’s friends too, eating masa tortillas friend in coconut oil, is in context to what their diet WAS. If they were heavily eating PUFA’s I can see the body reacting favorably, but for me being a lifelong butter girl, going to coconut oil instead was not advantageous to my goals.

Attachments

• 3F9D41D8-B76F-4108-90BA-B194444F8EDE.jpeg
    3F9D41D8-B76F-4108-90BA-B194444F8EDE.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
Rinse & rePeat

Another thing I would change, if you have to have dessert and dinner, is to ditch that banana as it a starch. Starch plus fat equals stored fat, especially when simple sugar is going to be used by the body first. Besides the starch reason, I stay away from bananas because of their serotonin. I would have one on the way home from the grocery every time, with just a hint of green, so good!

coffeelover

I posted my e-mail exchange to him about it on page 15 of this thread. I just felt that coconut oil was hindering me from burning fat, like it was hard for my body to use it as efficiently as butter, so I put the question out there to him. Recently, like a week or so ago, my son said he wasn’t wanting to eat oils anymore, meaning coconut oil and olive oil, since that is all we have in our house. He said he just doesn’t feel as good with it as when I cook with butter and ghee. This was independent from anything I ever said to him about how I felt and what RP said. My unwanted fat dropped off quicker without ADDED oils and even added butter. I think those stories about pigs losing weight, and Ray Peat’s friends too, eating masa tortillas friend in coconut oil, is in context to what their diet WAS. If they were heavily eating PUFA’s I can see the body reacting favorably, but for me being a lifelong butter girl, going to coconut oil instead was not advantageous to my goals.
Ok that's super interesting. I only added in coconut oil as an adult when I discovered Weston Price foundation. Coincidentally, when I started adding in lots of fats, having thyroid/fatigue issues, and soon after that not able to lose weight ever again. That was about 8 years ago. 🤔 Growing up we mostly ate butter and olive oil although there was some vegetable oil /crisco also.

coffeelover

Another thing I would change, if you have to have dessert and dinner, is to ditch that banana as it a starch. Starch plus fat equals stored fat, especially when simple sugar is going to be used by the body first. Besides the starch reason, I stay away from bananas because of their serotonin. I would have one on the way home from the grocery every time, with just a hint of green, so good!
I only eat them when they're very spotty brown and soft and sweet haha. I had read that they're less starchy that way but mostly I just hate the way unripe bananas taste. 🙃 But also, I was trying to get more potassium in and starchy root vegetables seem to be rich sources... but bananas and oj and coconut water also have a lot

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ok that's super interesting. I only added in coconut oil as an adult when I discovered Weston Price foundation. Coincidentally, when I started adding in lots of fats, having thyroid/fatigue issues, and soon after that not able to lose weight ever again. That was about 8 years ago. 🤔 Growing up we mostly ate butter and olive oil although there was some vegetable oil /crisco also.
I started thinking before finding RP the same thing, that oils were causing me weight gain. I would go on vacation and eat crab legs, shrimp, and other shellfish all with butter and partake in the fresh bread and butter and I would lose weight on vacation when I wasn’t trying, and gain it back when I got home when I was trying. That is when I finally figured out that oils were a problem. I came into Ray Peat at a good weight and gained weight from adding in the coconut oil and from being too afraid to add in the sugar sources.

N

nobody

I started thinking before finding RP the same thing, that oils were causing me weight gain. I would go on vacation and eat crab legs, shrimp, and other shellfish all with butter and partake in the fresh bread and butter and I would lose weight on vacation when I wasn’t trying, and gain it back when I got home when I was trying. That is when I finally figured out that oils were a problem. I came into Ray Peat at a good weight and gained weight from adding in the coconut oil and from being too afraid to add in the sugar sources.
would you say coconut in general could be problematic regarding metabolism? it is interesting coconut oil has the effect of weight gain. curious to know whether you have a similar experience with fresh homemade coconut milk, if it's something you've tried (ie; blending raw mature coconut meat with water and straining through nut milk bag)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
would you say coconut in general could be problematic regarding metabolism? it is interesting coconut oil has the effect of weight gain. curious to know whether you have a similar experience with fresh homemade coconut milk, if it's something you've tried (ie; blending raw mature coconut meat with water and straining through nut milk bag)
RP warns against anything related to the coconut meat because of mold and other issues. I didn’t eat it before finding RP anyways because coconut meat is also considered toxic on the Blood Type Diet which had served me so well. So I can’t say about coconut meat and weight gain, but it seems problematic overall for good gut function.

Momma

What was before the q and a? Was the context butter vs co for weight loss?

Isn’t this an example of a person taking a broad comment and applies other, possibly incorrect, properties to it to fit their narrative?

Peat says:
“Coconut oil serves several purposes. Its butyric acid is known to increase T3 uptake by glial cells. It has a general pro-thyroid action, for example by diluting and displacing antithyroid unsaturated oils, its short-and medium-chain fatty acids sustain blood sugar and have anti-allergic actions, and it protects mitochondria against stress injury.”

“The shorter chain fatty acids of coconut oil are more easily oxidized for energy than long chain fatty acids, and their saturation makes them resistant to the random oxidation produced by inflammation, so they don’t support their production of acrolein or age pigment; along with their reported antiinflammatory effect, these properties might be responsible for their beneficial effects that have been seen in Alzheimer’s disease.”

“The polyunsaturated oils interact closely with serotonin and tryptophan, and the short and medium chain saturated fatty acids have antihistamine and antiserotonin actions. Serotonin liberates free fatty acids from the tissues, especially the polyunsaturated fats, and these in turn liberate serotonin from cells such as the platelets, and liberate tryptophan from serum albumin, increasing its uptake and the formation of serotonin in the brain. Saturated fats don’t liberate serotonin, and some of them, such as capric acid found in coconut oil, relax blood vessels, while linoleic acid constricts blood vessels and promotes hypertension. Stress, exercise, and darkness, increase the release of free fatty acids, and so promote the liberation of tryptophan and formation of serotonin. Increased serum linoleic acid is specifically associated with serotonin-dependent disorders such as migraine.

Coconut oil, because of its saturated fatty acids of varied chain length, and its low linoleic acid content, should be considered as part of a protective diet.”

“When added to a balanced diet, coconut oil slightly lowers the cholesterol level, which is exactly what is expected when a dietary change raises thyroid function. This same increase in thyroid function and metabolic rate explains why people and animals that regularly eat coconut oil are lean, and remarkably free of heart disease and cancer.”

Also:

Lastly, Peat doesn’t support the Blood Type Diet.

View: https://youtu.be/yQzVq6rqUBg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What was before the q and a? Was the context butter vs co for weight loss?

Isn’t this an example of a person taking a broad comment and applies other, possibly incorrect, properties to it to fit their narrative?

Peat says:
“Coconut oil serves several purposes. Its butyric acid is known to increase T3 uptake by glial cells. It has a general pro-thyroid action, for example by diluting and displacing antithyroid unsaturated oils, its short-and medium-chain fatty acids sustain blood sugar and have anti-allergic actions, and it protects mitochondria against stress injury.”

“The shorter chain fatty acids of coconut oil are more easily oxidized for energy than long chain fatty acids, and their saturation makes them resistant to the random oxidation produced by inflammation, so they don’t support their production of acrolein or age pigment; along with their reported antiinflammatory effect, these properties might be responsible for their beneficial effects that have been seen in Alzheimer’s disease.”

“The polyunsaturated oils interact closely with serotonin and tryptophan, and the short and medium chain saturated fatty acids have antihistamine and antiserotonin actions. Serotonin liberates free fatty acids from the tissues, especially the polyunsaturated fats, and these in turn liberate serotonin from cells such as the platelets, and liberate tryptophan from serum albumin, increasing its uptake and the formation of serotonin in the brain. Saturated fats don’t liberate serotonin, and some of them, such as capric acid found in coconut oil, relax blood vessels, while linoleic acid constricts blood vessels and promotes hypertension. Stress, exercise, and darkness, increase the release of free fatty acids, and so promote the liberation of tryptophan and formation of serotonin. Increased serum linoleic acid is specifically associated with serotonin-dependent disorders such as migraine.

Coconut oil, because of its saturated fatty acids of varied chain length, and its low linoleic acid content, should be considered as part of a protective diet.”

“When added to a balanced diet, coconut oil slightly lowers the cholesterol level, which is exactly what is expected when a dietary change raises thyroid function. This same increase in thyroid function and metabolic rate explains why people and animals that regularly eat coconut oil are lean, and remarkably free of heart disease and cancer.”

Also:

It was just a random question. He, nor I, ever said coconut oil wouldn’t work for weight loss, it just didn’t work for me and I gave it a good few years try. Butter works better for me, and Ray said it is better too for quality purposes. He has always said butter, tallow and coconut oil are all good choices.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Lastly, Peat doesn’t support the Blood Type Diet.

View: https://youtu.be/yQzVq6rqUBg

As I said, the Blood Type Diet served me well, within days curing the chronic pain in my feet, and I took 10 pounds without dieting. It was the best I ever looked and compared to now. With that being said cutting out the dairy eventually had it’s detriments, which is why I added RP into the mix for better balance. I do drink milk and coffee and have oranges, but I still avoid the rest of the things that are toxic to my blood type such as pork, chicken, squid, salmon, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, wheat, corn and legumes.

N

nobody

RP warns against anything related to the coconut meat because of mold and other issues. I didn’t eat it before finding RP anyways because coconut meat is also considered toxic on the Blood Type Diet which had served me so well. So I can’t say about coconut meat and weight gain, but it seems problematic overall for good gut function.
oh yeah coconut mold is present in many of the ones ive bought... but normally ill just discard those parts. not sure that coconut has much nutritional benefit aside from its subjective deliciousness to ones tastebuds (to me its amazing)...

compared to fresh coconut milk, raw a2 cows milk is agreeably much better on the gut and its biochemistry, being replete in most every vitamin, mineral, and trace element humans require.

not sure how well the blood type diet holds true for others, although after quickly brushing up on the suggested foods for my type - and reading that milk, red meat, oranges and tropical fruits are 'harmful'... well lets just say it doesn't have much merit for my bodies likes/dislikes lol

D

Dan77

I just felt that coconut oil was hindering me from burning fat, like it was hard for my body to use it as efficiently as butter

Weight loss is calories in, calories out. It's why animals get fat in the Summer by overeating foods, then lose their weight by hibernating in the Winter.
You could eat potato chips and McDonalds, or drink orange juice and milk; makes no difference so long as you're in a calorie deficit.

Obviously some diets are far healthier and sustainable than others, though.

I've lost 40 pounds in 6 months, and have 60 more to go. It's difficult and painful to lose weight (at least for me), but everyone can do it with the right knowledge, discipline, and scientific understanding.

coffeelover

Weight loss is calories in, calories out. It's why animals get fat in the Summer by overeating foods, then lose their weight by hibernating in the Winter.
You could eat potato chips and McDonalds, or drink orange juice and milk; makes no difference so long as you're in a calorie deficit.

Obviously some diets are far healthier and sustainable than others, though.

I've lost 40 pounds in 6 months, and have 60 more to go. It's difficult and painful to lose weight (at least for me), but everyone can do it with the right knowledge, discipline, and scientific understanding.
Yeah, I know this intellectually, but it is incredibly hard to maintain a deficit when it makes me moody, stressed, anxious, and not sleep well. That's my main roadblock--I feel crappy when I reduce my calories

D

Dan77

Yeah, I know this intellectually, but it is incredibly hard to maintain a deficit when it makes me moody, stressed, anxious, and not sleep well. That's my main roadblock--I feel crappy when I reduce my calories
Agreed. Losing weight is essentially going against 200,000 years of human evolution. It’s easier to eat than not to. 100%, it’s hard for everyone.

However... Eating a high protein diet (150-200 G) + very intense exercise allows me to be at a substantial calorie deficit without the moody/stressed feeling you speak of. I feel satiated.

Dozens of Scientific studies do show that protein is far more satiating than carbs or fat are, and it is true in my experience.