MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

LadyRae

Well I've really enjoyed reading through this thread... I've spent a couple years now recovering my body from overzealous experiences with keto and intermittent fasting and excessive running/Marathon competition. I am a very active 44 year old mother of four, and I have always been quite tall and lean, 5'10" and currently I am 128 lb...

Returning carbohydrates to my diet was very difficult for my body to deal with, I experienced extreme water retention and inflammation, my face was incredibly puffy, and it is taken me years to figure everything out. During keto I lost my menstrual cycle, and although I've had it back now for over a year it is still extremely sensitive to any period of perceived stress which for me usually comes in the form of too much exercise, even though I love it. I will do push-ups and occasionally some Pilates podcasts with my daughters, but I don't lift weights in the traditional manner as I definitely get big muscles fast, despite everyone trying to tell me that women won't bulk out 😂...

These days I eat a diet high in gelatin, lean animal protein (including beef heart and beef liver and oysters), ripe fruit, coffee, coconut milk, and a few well cooked vegetables like beets and carrots, and some cucumber. I would definitely say it is fairly low fat. I avoid all dairy and alcohol and grains. (3years sober now 🔥) Dairy gives me phlegm and I have not eaten it in almost 30 years. As a teenager I had recurrent sinus infections in these completely disappeared when I quit eating dairy.

Early on in my healing journey I utilized a lot of the ideal Labs supplements, including the free T3 and many others. Nowadays I just take one drop of the T3 Tyronene every morning and a lot of times I forget.

I just returned from a 300 mi backpacking trip along the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State that I embarked upon with my 16 year old daughter. During this time I ate a lot of dried fruit and beef jerky, overnight oatmeal, and some dehydrated gluten-free dehydrated backpacking meals. I feel incredible and I've been continuing to be very active on my bike, trails around my house with my dog, and in general lots of walks and activity throughout the day. I take B1 and biotin, lysine, methylene blue, occasional cyproheptadine ( and a few other Ideal Labs products).

As you can see from my photo (there I am rescuing a bull snake from the biking path that I frequent) I have a fair amount of visible vascularity and I am pretty excited that I actually have some visible AB veins 😉! I tend to be in bed asleep by 8:00 or 8:30 p.m., and I am up enjoying coffee and the quiet morning at around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m.

Since this thread is about weight loss, I would say that the key takeaways for me is to not overeat, no matter what kinds of foods you're eating, make sure to eat foods that you digest really well and this can be different for everyone. Exercise or activities should be fun and enjoyable and should leave you feeling refreshed and excited for the rest of the day, not exhausted and miserable. Make sure you are sleeping well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_081151019_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220831_081151019_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Well I've really enjoyed reading through this thread... I've spent a couple years now recovering my body from overzealous experiences with keto and intermittent fasting and excessive running/Marathon competition. I am a very active 44 year old mother of four, and I have always been quite tall and lean, 5'10" and currently I am 128 lb...

Returning carbohydrates to my diet was very difficult for my body to deal with, I experienced extreme water retention and inflammation, my face was incredibly puffy, and it is taken me years to figure everything out. During keto I lost my menstrual cycle, and although I've had it back now for over a year it is still extremely sensitive to any period of perceived stress which for me usually comes in the form of too much exercise, even though I love it. I will do push-ups and occasionally some Pilates podcasts with my daughters, but I don't lift weights in the traditional manner as I definitely get big muscles fast, despite everyone trying to tell me that women won't bulk out 😂...

These days I eat a diet high in gelatin, lean animal protein (including beef heart and beef liver and oysters), ripe fruit, coffee, coconut milk, and a few well cooked vegetables like beets and carrots, and some cucumber. I would definitely say it is fairly low fat. I avoid all dairy and alcohol and grains. (3years sober now 🔥) Dairy gives me phlegm and I have not eaten it in almost 30 years. As a teenager I had recurrent sinus infections in these completely disappeared when I quit eating dairy.

Early on in my healing journey I utilized a lot of the ideal Labs supplements, including the free T3 and many others. Nowadays I just take one drop of the T3 Tyronene every morning and a lot of times I forget.

I just returned from a 300 mi backpacking trip along the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State that I embarked upon with my 16 year old daughter. During this time I ate a lot of dried fruit and beef jerky, overnight oatmeal, and some dehydrated gluten-free dehydrated backpacking meals. I feel incredible and I've been continuing to be very active on my bike, trails around my house with my dog, and in general lots of walks and activity throughout the day. I take B1 and biotin, lysine, methylene blue, occasional cyproheptadine ( and a few other Ideal Labs products).

As you can see from my photo (there I am rescuing a bull snake from the biking path that I frequent) I have a fair amount of visible vascularity and I am pretty excited that I actually have some visible AB veins 😉! I tend to be in bed asleep by 8:00 or 8:30 p.m., and I am up enjoying coffee and the quiet morning at around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m.

Since this thread is about weight loss, I would say that the key takeaways for me is to not overeat, no matter what kinds of foods you're eating, make sure to eat foods that you digest really well and this can be different for everyone. Exercise or activities should be fun and enjoyable and should leave you feeling refreshed and excited for the rest of the day, not exhausted and miserable. Make sure you are sleeping well.
Look at you with a snake! I have a thread on Survival and i aspire to be as brave as you! I got making fire down with flint for a start! I agree that using our muscles is so important for mobility, but for good health and weight loss, so I have been enjoying my hula hoop and it has firmed up my middle nicely.

I think what you said, “not to overeat”’ is good advice. Ray Peat says it is best to eat when hungry rather than “it’s time to eat”. The leanest I have ever been is when I trained myself to stop eating when I wasn’t hungry anymore. I know that isn’t convenient for someone doing physical labor or that has a long stretch ahead before another meal, but getting over what I had been taught as a child to “finish what was that my plate” by leaving food on my plate cause I am satisfied kept me lean no matter what I ate.

You said a lot of pertinent thing, and good sleep is another key for weight loss and energy for it. I hadn’t been sleeping this past week when the previous 6 weeks I had been, and only realized yesterday that I had forgotten to bag breath this past week or so. So last night I resumed bag breathing and not only did I sleep well l, but I feel positive this morning WANTING to seize the day, rather then feeling lost and listless.

You are an inspiration LadyRae, you’re looking vibrant and beautiful living a full life, learning from your past health mistakes and sharing them to help others.

LadyRae

@Rinse & rePeat thank you for your generous comments!😌 I am going to try bag breathing before bed tonight... usually I take a few magnesium glycinate tablets, a couple cascara caps, and pass out by 8:30. But I always wake up once around 12 or 1am to pee. So maybe more CO2 would keep me asleep...🤔

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat thank you for your generous comments!😌 I am going to try bag breathing before bed tonight... usually I take a few magnesium glycinate tablets, a couple cascara caps, and pass out by 8:30. But I always wake up once around 12 or 1am to pee. So maybe more CO2 would keep me asleep...🤔
Oh I think you will be thanking me LadyRae! Let me know how it goes.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Did you do bag breathing last night LadyRae?

LadyRae

Did you do bag breathing last night LadyRae?
Yes, I did 10 minutes, and then another 10 minutes this morning upon waking. I noticed a warm glow sensation all over my body. Very relaxing. But I still got up at midnight to pee...

During my big backpacking trip last month, my daughter and I practiced nose-only breathing even (especially) when climbing steeper sections. Her pack was about 30 lbs, mine was closer to 40😳.

So at first I kept thinking, I need to open my mouth and breathe deeper...but when I resisted, I got into a rhythm and found that the hill/climb was easier, and I felt calmer. So I've had a little practice...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, I did 10 minutes, and then another 10 minutes this morning upon waking. I noticed a warm glow sensation all over my body. Very relaxing. But I still got up at midnight to pee...

During my big backpacking trip last month, my daughter and I practiced nose-only breathing even (especially) when climbing steeper sections. Her pack was about 30 lbs, mine was closer to 40😳.

So at first I kept thinking, I need to open my mouth and breathe deeper...but when I resisted, I got into a rhythm and found that the hill/climb was easier, and I felt calmer. So I've had a little practice...
It is good you are mindful about every little thing which will add up to better health. I have never been a mouth breather. That is probably why I have never gotten cavities.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

So yesterday I got cornered into eating at a Chinese vegetarian restaurant for lunch. It was a professional woman, that I was just meeting for the first time, and I let her do the ordering, and found myself eating many kinds of plant based “mystery meats” in soy based sauces, and everything fried in PUFA’s. I brewed up a cup of cascara tea, the minute I got home, to get it all out as soon as possible, and even with that, the scale was up 2 pounds this morning! Obviously I didn’t put on two pounds of fat, the two pounds was water weight, from inflammation, cause I ate light and healthy the rest of the day, and I am not bloated this morning either. I am glad for my cascara strategy to rid myself of the toxins from restaurant food fast. I can see how eating food like that often can snowball into pain, bad health and looking like “you know what” yuk! I am gonna see this new friend again, but I am gonna tell her I am not compromising myself with that kind of food again.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I am so happy I diverted another crappy night of eating! Loved ones came to town and want me to come over to have pizza with them. I almost started to decline, then I said oh well I guess I’ll just go and eat just the cheese and toppings, but then I came up with option number three and told them to eat dinner without me and I will come over afterwards and bring my homemade ice cream! Oh I am so happy I don’t have to sign up for a 3rd day of restaurant food! The ice cream is in the machine now and they are even happier than if I would have joined them for dinner. This is just another one of the kind of things I do to keep my girlish figure and good health. It is all about strategy, and I want for nothing :)

Theta

Oh man I was traumatized having to eat liver as a kid, the worst food ever. My friend said she always loved it as a kid, and I just can’t understand that. I am using a braunschweiger that is a blend of 60% grass fed beef and 40% liver and seasoned. I cut it into portions that give me one ounce of liver at a time and fry it in ghee and use it all kinds of ways. My family loves when I mix it with hamburger and make ground beef tacos with it, and they hate liver, but love it this way. I brought a couple of those tacos to a friend who loves liver, but couldn’t taste any liver in the tacos, but wished she could. I don’t know where you live but I stick up in it and gave it all shipped for $9 in California. Here is the link….

Hello pretty, I live in CA too. I live in Orange County. When you say, "I stick up in it and gave it all shipped for $9", what do you mean?
Also, as far as bag breathing, what time of day and for how long do you bag breath to improve sleep?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hello pretty, I live in CA too. I live in Orange County. When you say, "I stick up in it and gave it all shipped for $9", what do you mean?
Also, as far as bag breathing, what time of day and for how long do you bag breath to improve sleep?

Hello Lovely! That is an interesting sentence isn’t it? I meant to say,”I stock up on in and have it all shipped for $9”,

I do my bag breathing in the evening, right after I turn the light off and I am going to sleep. I really helps me stay asleep through the night. I often bag breathe in the morning too, because Ray Peat says cortisol levels are high in the early morning hours, which I feel many mornings. I bag breath as it feels comfortable maybe 2 minutes, sometimes more time and sometimes less. If I wake up in the night and struggle to get back to sleep I will sometimes do it again. I use to try and bag breathe in the past, and really just trusted it was doing something, but I really feel a difference doing it in the right place for theses purposes.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I found a couple of new products to try out! Right now I am the cacao nibs in my coffee and boy are they tasty! They taste like nuts. I also found sprouted corn tortillas and will see how they play out with my braunschweiger/liver tacos today! I love variety!

I also went roller skating in the the park for a couple of hours, the other day, and what a fun workout! I am constantly surprised when I do strenuous exercise that I am not in the least bit sore the next day, like I use to be doing the same things. I am wondering though if roller skating at 59 is a very good idea. There were a lot of big cracks in the sidewalk paths and pine needle debris and I fell backwards on my butt and jarred my head pretty good and then fifteen minutes later fell again and skinned my knee. The rest of the time I navigated things better.

Attachments

• B05B4B40-E4AE-4EAB-8E99-F472D11826BA.jpeg
    B05B4B40-E4AE-4EAB-8E99-F472D11826BA.jpeg
    758.9 KB · Views: 74
  • F53C681A-AB13-487F-9332-CC41C58878E2.jpeg
    F53C681A-AB13-487F-9332-CC41C58878E2.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 7B34D65E-25B5-4C3F-BCE8-EBF294DBEDAD.jpeg
    7B34D65E-25B5-4C3F-BCE8-EBF294DBEDAD.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 9C78883D-987F-4F3A-89EA-10791FE27F65.jpeg
    9C78883D-987F-4F3A-89EA-10791FE27F65.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 64
  • A3D98B8A-49CC-469B-ADB7-7135876B81C5.jpeg
    A3D98B8A-49CC-469B-ADB7-7135876B81C5.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 51
  • 8C29DC53-4624-4EED-8030-88DF23A8208C.jpeg
    8C29DC53-4624-4EED-8030-88DF23A8208C.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 70865BCF-275A-47DB-BAA6-020DAB3E08CE.jpeg
    70865BCF-275A-47DB-BAA6-020DAB3E08CE.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 371355AC-9F33-4814-B6DC-374B1997918B.jpeg
    371355AC-9F33-4814-B6DC-374B1997918B.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 71

LadyRae

Oh cute photos! I say, keep skating...wear a helmet.

Have you tried Crio Brew? Ground raw cocao.... I like raw cocao in my coffee, too. Also I have been eating a very low methionine diet the last couple weeks. I've noticed that I am hardly losing any hair in the shower when I finger comb my curls. This is the only time I come even close to brushing my hair and I usually get a small handful.

I have been making a lot of homemade jello with blended fruits and gelatin and I will whisk in some raw cocao powder at the end... Top with coconut whip- it's SO good!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh cute photos! I say, keep skating...wear a helmet.

Have you tried Crio Brew? Ground raw cocao.... I like raw cocao in my coffee, too. Also I have been eating a very low methionine diet the last couple weeks. I've noticed that I am hardly losing any hair in the shower when I finger comb my curls. This is the only time I come even close to brushing my hair and I usually get a small handful.

I have been making a lot of homemade jello with blended fruits and gelatin and I will whisk in some raw cocao powder at the end... Top with coconut whip- it's SO good!
Happy you like my pics! This is my first time trying cacao nibs. I thought they would be more like bitter chocolate, but they are more nutty tasting. I like them! I can see them being good in puddings or an orange jello. I make my jellos from fresh fruit too! Here are some pics of my creations. Interesting that a low methionine diet has strengthened your hair, I hadn’t heard of that benefit before?

Attachments

• E22C7447-30CE-47EE-A305-B8405F8A2AD6.jpeg
    E22C7447-30CE-47EE-A305-B8405F8A2AD6.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 05C0E328-C09C-48C5-8B98-C7E7BD6F4E17.jpeg
    05C0E328-C09C-48C5-8B98-C7E7BD6F4E17.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 51A12C3B-D0A3-4741-9A79-7D55F5C64B06.jpeg
    51A12C3B-D0A3-4741-9A79-7D55F5C64B06.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 19
  • FA61EA88-0446-4E6B-851D-31D403E16747.jpeg
    FA61EA88-0446-4E6B-851D-31D403E16747.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 05464166-54F6-40CF-89BD-2043A73C26FE.jpeg
    05464166-54F6-40CF-89BD-2043A73C26FE.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 40AE234F-E6A9-456B-B581-D8C21B03EE72.jpeg
    40AE234F-E6A9-456B-B581-D8C21B03EE72.jpeg
    820.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 4C40DDE1-C0BB-4C8C-903B-31208674EEF0.jpeg
    4C40DDE1-C0BB-4C8C-903B-31208674EEF0.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

So yesterday I put a teaspoon of those cacao nibs in my coffee yesterday and I was not hungry all day. I know my fresh ginger soda has been curbing my appetite too, but between the two I even skipped dinner last night and woke up still not hungry. I wouldn’t make a habit of doing that, but I slept deeply not having food in my stomach. I have been eating a lot of restaurant food lately and see my weight fluctuate always up and down by two to three pounds, but now laying off and incorporating foods that balance my blood sugars so well it is on a steady decline this week being down two pounds instead. Yesterday I left my calories in a deficit, to give my digestive system a rest, knowing I was going to be eating at a Mexican food restaurant for lunch today. So I made sure everything I ate yesterday mattered, eating spoonfuls of raw honey before drinking my coffee, milk and cacao, instead of sugar, I had my braunschweiger liver in a sprouted and buttered corn tortilla, and half of another one with butter and an egg yolk, I had ginger soda and a half of another one, and I pressed a bunch of wheat grass with two large purple carrots, and I ate more raw honey. I so forgot to eat all day and by bedtime I felt so good I just left it that way. I hope this lunch doesn’t slow me down today.

Attachments

• 2E17604A-EB8F-40B4-A593-CCF7583DA68F.jpeg
    2E17604A-EB8F-40B4-A593-CCF7583DA68F.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Here is the start to my morning! I made myself a high protein breakfast, about a quarter cup of cottage cheese (something I don’t usually eat) topped with a fried egg, my homemade taco meat and hot sauce. I washed it down with raw milk with a tablespoon of collagen powder and instant coffee granules for a total of 26 grams of protein. An In & Out cheeseburger has 22 grams. I am off to a good start!

Attachments

• 66D2C763-7107-461C-AD76-F7EA827EC047.jpeg
    66D2C763-7107-461C-AD76-F7EA827EC047.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 11
  • C30E1869-A39B-4AAD-8882-312521CF4204.jpeg
    C30E1869-A39B-4AAD-8882-312521CF4204.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 11
  • F7C4352D-9F12-4A71-AAA5-9F1A5BB718D9.jpeg
    F7C4352D-9F12-4A71-AAA5-9F1A5BB718D9.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 10
OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Now this didn’t particularly sound like what I wanted this morning for breakfast at 10:00, but I have told myself I gotta take better care of myself. I have been out too much. Yesterday I was out with my brother in the mountains with not too many choices for food, so we split a burger with onions and double cheese and “super nachos” which was topped with ground beef, but I was unhappy to see it had that bad liquid cheese. I just went with it, and ate my half of the burger with the top bun off and threw some nachos on top. So anyways, this morning, I made a really great meal. I partially scrambled an egg in a little butter and salt, put it in a bowl and poured hot, homemade and very gelatinous, beef bone broth over the egg and topped it with dehydrated spring onions and a pinch of salt. It is wonderful, and it only took me 5 minutes to make. I am looking forward to another bowl tomorrow! I washed it down with my blueberry raspberry infused water sweetened with white honey, which tastes pretty much like sugar, not honey. This tasted so much better than yesterdays “splurge”.

Attachments

• B09C40C7-0246-434D-8046-7D062902AAD3.jpeg
    B09C40C7-0246-434D-8046-7D062902AAD3.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 56B2A5D3-4A2D-4E5D-840D-6F913EE4C9DB.jpeg
    56B2A5D3-4A2D-4E5D-840D-6F913EE4C9DB.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 20
  • C2ED2B04-1FE8-47E3-ADB9-1B1392B8C17E.jpeg
    C2ED2B04-1FE8-47E3-ADB9-1B1392B8C17E.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5308DA0B-46DC-455E-A0DE-EA30834EE8F6.jpeg
    5308DA0B-46DC-455E-A0DE-EA30834EE8F6.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 20

J.R.K

Happy you like my pics! This is my first time trying cacao nibs. I thought they would be more like bitter chocolate, but they are more nutty tasting. I like them! I can see them being good in puddings or an orange jello. I make my jellos from fresh fruit too! Here are some pics of my creations. Interesting that a low methionine diet has strengthened your hair, I hadn’t heard of that benefit before?
The only thing missing from these creations are instructions on how to create them!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals