MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

P

Peatness

Does Peat ever talk about BMI? I have a BMI of 21 but feel better at 19-20.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Good question! My BMI was 19 when I was around 23 at 115 pound. At 19 I was 20 I was 106 pounds at 5'4, I can't imagine what my BMI was then, but I was always sick. Haidut posted some perplexing studies that I have not read yet, but apparently being heavier in later years is protective. Here is one he posted....

P

Peatness

Thank you. I've read these thread but I am not convinced about them. The women I know that had breast cancer and died were overweight. I am aware that they may have died from certain medical protocols for said cancers.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you. I've read these thread but I am not convinced about them. The women I know that had breast cancer and died were overweight. I am aware that they may have died from certain medical protocols for said cancers.

Personally I believe that the mammograms are a breast cancer promoter, and which women are getting those constant exams, working women, athletic and health conscious woman, aka thinner women. It certainly isn't the overweight stay at home women. I am sure the overweight women won out in that breast cancer study, but I don't think their weight had anything to do with the outcome. Funny how those studies can get skewed.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The only thing I have heard RP say about being overweight is the kind of weight a person is carrying make the difference. He says fat carried in the torso/belly area is the dangerous type.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Higher BMI May Be Better for Older Adults
The association between all-cause mortality and BMI created a U-shaped curve with a broad base (P-nonlinearity <0.001). The "nadir of the curve for BMI and mortality was between 24.0 and 30.9, with the lowest risk being between 27.0 and 27.9 (HR 0.90, 95% CI 0.88-0.92)," wrote Caryl A. Nowson, PhD, of Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia, and her co-authors, in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

They said that mortality risk did not increase with excess weight in this population until BMI was ≥33 (HR 1.08 for BMI of 33.0-33.9, 95% CI 1.00-1.15).

Risk of mortality was highest at a BMI lower than 23, the authors said."

P

Peatness

The only thing I have heard RP say about being overweight is the kind of weight a person is carrying make the difference. He says fat carried in the torso/belly area is the dangerous type.
My weight distribution tends to favour the legs and the arms tend to miss out.
"Higher BMI May Be Better for Older Adults
The association between all-cause mortality and BMI created a U-shaped curve with a broad base (P-nonlinearity <0.001). The "nadir of the curve for BMI and mortality was between 24.0 and 30.9, with the lowest risk being between 27.0 and 27.9 (HR 0.90, 95% CI 0.88-0.92)," wrote Caryl A. Nowson, PhD, of Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia, and her co-authors, in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

They said that mortality risk did not increase with excess weight in this population until BMI was ≥33 (HR 1.08 for BMI of 33.0-33.9, 95% CI 1.00-1.15).

Risk of mortality was highest at a BMI lower than 23, the authors said."

Interesting studies.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Dividing any food into smaller meals can lower the PTH, and milk is a convenient food to use in small amounts and frequently." -Ray Peat

"In recent years there have been studies showing that regular milk drinkers are less fat than people who don't drink it. Although the high quality protein and saturated fat undoubtedly contribute to milk's anti-obesity effect, the high calcium content is probably the main factor.

The parathyroid hormone (PTH) is an important regulator of calcium metabolism. If dietary calcium isn't sufficient, causing blood calcium to decrease, the PTH increases, and removes calcium from bones to maintain a normal amount in the blood. PTH has many other effects, contributing to inflammation, calcification of soft tissues, and decreased respiratory energy production.

When there is adequate calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium in the diet, PTH is kept to a minimum. When PTH is kept low, cells increase their formation of the uncoupling proteins, that cause mitochondria to use energy at a higher rate, and this is associated with decreased activity of the fatty acid synthase enzymes.

These changes are clearly related to the anti-obesity effect of calcium, but those enzymes are important for many other problems.

The “metabolic syndrome,” that involves diabetes, hypertension, and obesity, is associated with high PTH (Ahlström, et al., 2009; Hjelmesaeth, et al., 200" -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the reasons a lot of people give, if they have overcome the idea that milk forms mucous, or is a risk for diseases and so on; one of their arguments is that it makes them fat. But, all the research on animals, and as far as it goes, human research, shows that milk is probably the best reducing foods there is. The mechanisms for that are now known. Not only the anti-stress effects of casein, and a good balance of saturated fats and so on, but the calcium alone is very important metabolic regulator, that it happens to inhibit the fat-forming enzymes fatty acid synthase, and incidentally that’s a characteristic enzyme that goes wild in cancer. But calcium and milk inhibit that fatty acid synthase, reducing the formation of fats and at the same time it activates the uncoupling proteins in the mitochondria, which are associated with increased longevity. Because they, by increasing the metabolic rate, the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster but they protect against free-radical oxidation. That they pull the fuel through the oxidation process so fast in effect, that none of it goes astray in random oxidation, where if you inhibit your energy producing enzymes you tend to get random, stray oxidation that damage the mitochondria. So the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster, at the same time that your reducing fat synthesis and milk is, as far as I know, they only food does both of those things simultaneously.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Well this was an interesting find from lampofred....

"Peat said all fat, even saturated fat, slows metabolism, although saturated fat isn't actually damaging to the thyroid like PUFA. And the protein they were consuming was probably high in phosphate, tryptophan, methionine, cysteine, which are all anti-thyroid. Peat says it's better to go low protein than to get most of your protein from meat."

I have to say the 3 days over the weekend adding in beef, cheese, egg yolks, and one day having 3 glasses of skimmed milk and one day no milk shot my scale up by 2.5 pounds. The last two days upping my skimmed milk to 5 to 6 glasses, upping my sugar calories an extra 250 calories just in raw honey, and adding in 1 cup of fresh orange juice with 2 egg yolks lightly fried in butter took the 2.5 pound back off! In a few more days I will post my before and after pic!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Niacinamide, used in moderate doses, can safely help to restrain the excessive production of free fatty acids, and also helps to limit the wasteful conversion of glucose into fat. There is evidence that diabetics are chronically deficient in niacin. Excess fatty acids in the blood probably divert tryptophan from niacin synthesis into serotonin synthesis.” -Ray Peat

taralynne

Well this was an interesting find from lampofred....

"Peat said all fat, even saturated fat, slows metabolism, although saturated fat isn't actually damaging to the thyroid like PUFA. And the protein they were consuming was probably high in phosphate, tryptophan, methionine, cysteine, which are all anti-thyroid. Peat says it's better to go low protein than to get most of your protein from meat."

I have to say the 3 days over the weekend adding in beef, cheese, egg yolks, and one day having 3 glasses of skimmed milk and one day no milk shot my scale up by 2.5 pounds. The last two days upping my skimmed milk to 5 to 6 glasses, upping my sugar calories an extra 250 calories just in raw honey, and adding in 1 cup of fresh orange juice with 2 egg yolks lightly fried in butter took the 2.5 pound back off! In a few more days I will post my before and after pic!
That's great! So on the days you drank the 5-6 glasses of milk you skipped eating any meat? Also, why only egg yolks & not whites? Is that just a personal preference or was that strategic? Thank you for the update.. always glad to hear about things that are working for others.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That's great! So on the days you drank the 5-6 glasses of milk you skipped eating any meat? Also, why only egg yolks & not whites? Is that just a personal preference or was that strategic? Thank you for the update.. always glad to hear about things that are working for others.

Yes I have been using the milk more as a meal replacement. I drank 5 cups of milk yesterday with chocolates, had the two egg yolks with fresh orange juice with added sugar and salt, had honey and only one double shot coffee in the morning, had a half pound of shrimp sauteed in butter with hot sauce and a few bites of sprouted brown rice with ground beef making it for someone else.

I am only doing the egg yolks because the whites are high in histamines, which cause inflammation, and eggs have always seemed bloating, but now eating just the yolks it seems it was just the whites that were bloating. The whites have tryptophan too. I suppose that is why eggs made me tired.

"Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a much higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains even less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is disproportionately rich in tryptophan." -Ray Peat

taralynne

Yes I have been using the milk more as a meal replacement. I drank 5 cups of milk yesterday with chocolates, had the two egg yolks with fresh orange juice with added sugar and salt, had honey and only one double shot coffee in the morning, had a half pound of shrimp sauteed in butter with hot sauce and a few bites of sprouted brown rice with ground beef making it for someone else.

I am only doing the egg yolks because the whites are high in histamines, which cause inflammation, and eggs have always seemed bloating, but now eating just the yolks it seems it was just the whites that were bloating. The whites have tryptophan too. I suppose that is why eggs made me tired.

"Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a much higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains even less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is disproportionately rich in tryptophan." -Ray Peat
That makes sense about the egg whites. Appreciate the clarification. I may need to try that too as sometimes eggs seem to bloat me as well but I wasn't sure what else to eat for breakfast so have been eating them anyway. Also, a diet which has chocolate & milk in it is one that I can get on board with :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That makes sense about the egg whites. Appreciate the clarification. I may need to try that too as sometimes eggs seem to bloat me as well but I wasn't sure what else to eat for breakfast so have been eating them anyway. Also, a diet which has chocolate & milk in it is one that I can get on board with :)

Ha! Ha! Right?!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ha! Ha! Right?!!

I should say that since adding the two egg yolks and having it with orange juice my weigh loss has stalled. I think the fat in two egg yolks is too much with sugar and orange juice and not enough protein that sugar + fat in one sitting disaster. I am gonna cut the egg yolk down to one and add in some gelatin with the orange juice tomorrow. The first time couple of days of adding in the egg yolks was working until I paired it with the orange juice.

taralynne

I should say that since adding the two egg yolks and having it with orange juice my weigh loss has stalled. I think the fat in two egg yolks is too much with sugar and orange juice and not enough protein that sugar + fat in one sitting disaster. I am gonna cut the egg yolk down to one and add in some gelatin with the orange juice tomorrow. The first time couple of days of adding in the egg yolks was working until I paired it with the orange juice.
Keep us posted.. will be interesting to see if the change helps

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals