MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I just had a nice bowl of our family’s favorite asparagus soup. I use the recipe below, but skip the flour, reduce the milk by a quarter cup and add the zest of one lemon. It is satisfying , and like the statement below says, it really balances my blood sugar levels.

“Asparagus is a nutrient-packed vegetable. It is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. That's good news if you're watching your blood sugar.

In addition to all those vitamins, 1 cup of cooked asparagus has 40 calories, 4 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and 404 milligrams of potassium.”

Attachments

• 2CBF33FF-4EC4-4B13-BDE4-AB4E033C15A6.jpeg
    2CBF33FF-4EC4-4B13-BDE4-AB4E033C15A6.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
Rinse & rePeat
These chocolates are just what every “Peater” has been looking for! Sorry, but I ate the blue one :)

“Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants.” – Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants.” – Ray Peat

“Cacao (ka·cow) is the raw, unprocessed form of chocolate.2 These untreated seeds referred to as cacao beans can be considered a superfood offering a wealth of antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals.”

“Not all chocolate is equal when it comes to those helpful chemicals. The way commercial chocolate makers produce chocolate affects its health benefits.

First, there is the issue of temperature. The heat required to process commercial chocolate can be as high as 130 degrees centigrade. Some researchers say temperatures that high can actually lower the effectiveness of those beneficial chemicals.

Anthony Grid makes fine chocolates at a store called Honest Chocolate, in Cape Town, South Africa. He keeps the temperature of his raw chocolate below 42 degrees.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eating milk chocolate every day may sound like a recipe for weight gain, but a new study of postmenopausal women has found that eating a concentrated amount of chocolate during a narrow window of time in the morning may help the body burn fat and decrease blood sugar levels.

Harvard Medical School professor of medicine Frank A.J.L. Scheer and Marta Garaulet, both of the Division of Sleep and Circadian Disorders, Departments of Medicine and Neurology at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital, are co-corresponding authors of the new paper published in The FASEB Journal.

To find out about the effects of eating milk chocolate at different times of day, researchers from the Brigham collaborated with investigators at the University of Murcia in Spain. Together, they conducted a randomized, controlled, cross-over trial of 19 postmenopausal women who consumed either 100g of chocolate in the morning (within one hour after waking time) or at night (within one hour before bedtime). They compared weight gain and many other measures to no chocolate intake.

Researchers report that among the women studied:

Morning or nighttime chocolate intake did not lead to weight gain;

Eating chocolate in the morning or in the evening can influence hunger and appetite, microbiota composition, sleep and more;

A high intake of chocolate during the morning hours could help to burn fat and reduce blood glucose levels.

Evening/night chocolate altered next-morning resting and exercise metabolism.

“Our findings highlight that not only ‘what’ but also ‘when’ we eat can impact physiological mechanisms involved in the regulation of body weight,” said Scheer.

“Our volunteers did not gain weight despite increasing caloric intake. Our results show that chocolate reduced ad libitum energy intake, consistent with the observed reduction in hunger, appetite and the desire for sweets shown in previous studies,” said Garaulet.“

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have been going through a lot of oranges this past month, peels and all. I use the peels on my daily ice cream and in my cooking and hot beverages. Today I put the peel of one orange in my coffee and had it with my morning chocolates. I have also been peeling mandarins and cutting them into chunks and sprinkling in a little sugar.

“In fact, you would want to choose oranges over store-bought snacks to keep you full longer - research suggests that this citrus fruit appears to be 4 times more filling than a croissant and twice as filling as a muesli bar. Oranges can also satisfy your sweet tooth, which makes them a healthier alternative to added sugars that contribute to weight gain. Proponents also claim that the fruit can boost metabolism, which has been linked to better weight loss.

Apart from aiding weight loss, oranges can support your health in different ways - from reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease to promoting clear, healthy skin. Research suggests that an orange contains more 170 different phytochemicals and over 60 flavonoids that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.“

Attachments

• 83322A6B-CB71-4257-9536-47870FD88DA5.jpeg
    83322A6B-CB71-4257-9536-47870FD88DA5.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A protein deficiency, possibly by increasing cortisol, is likely to contribute to increased FAS and fat synthesis (Bannister, et al., 1983), but the dietary protein shouldn't provide an excess of tryptophan, because of tryptophan's role as serotonin precursor--serotonin increases inflammation and glycolysis (Koren-Schwartzer, et al., 1994).” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The researchers at Robarts Research Institute in Western University found out that having around two and a half glasses of orange juice a day could reverse obesity and reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. The team discovered a molecule called 'nobiletin' in sweet oranges and tangerines that could significantly prevent and manage obesity. The findings were published in the Journal of Lipid Research.”

kYgirl

“The researchers at Robarts Research Institute in Western University found out that having around two and a half glasses of orange juice a day could reverse obesity and reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. The team discovered a molecule called 'nobiletin' in sweet oranges and tangerines that could significantly prevent and manage obesity. The findings were published in the Journal of Lipid Research.”

I'm always afraid to drink too much OJ. But I do buy the organic OJ from Costco.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm always afraid to drink too much OJ. But I do buy the organic OJ from Costco.

I don’t know that I would drink already squeezed orange juice. I am lucky to have access to good organic oranges and mandarins right now. It isn’t always the case. Adding sugar, and sometimes salt, to both helps with the histamine issues I use to have with oranges.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Let me know if you like it please!

Hi Blossom! I am eating my Alter Eco Brown Butter chocolate with coffee this morning, and just realized that I forgot to tell you how much I love it! I like it’s smoother, rather than hard waxy texture, that other bar chocolates have. Thank you again for the recommendation!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi Blossom! I am eating my Alter Eco Brown Butter chocolate with coffee this morning, and just realized that I forgot to tell you how much I love it! I like it’s smoother, rather than hard waxy texture, that other bar chocolates have. Thank you again for the recommendation!
You’re welcome. It was always my favorite!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress. The adrenal glands use it to produce their antistress hormones, and when there is enough progesterone, they don't have to produce the potentially harmful cortisol. In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisol, and excessive cortisol causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“…. is it better to eat BEFORE you get hungry or eat when you ARE hungry?”

RAY PEAT:
“When hungry..”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This morning I had my coffee & milk with dark chocolate, my homemade (whole raw milk, no cream or egg yolks) ice cream topped with the peel of one orange topped and a handful of sweet blueberries and these salted crispy bare wings for Thanksgiving, I mean for lunch! I had two more pieces after taking this pic below. For dinner I am making asparagus soup with the bone broth I made today l, from the wings, and may have another bowl of my orange peel blueberry ice cream later. I’m feeling good!

EDIT: I am adding a couple of cut up tangelos to today’s list too. I love them sprinkled with sugar :)

Attachments

• C9C18081-547E-4D30-992E-63C4361A5295.jpeg
    C9C18081-547E-4D30-992E-63C4361A5295.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 501384E7-0C81-4E46-B25A-4C691C61DEA8.jpeg
    501384E7-0C81-4E46-B25A-4C691C61DEA8.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The commonly recommended alternative to sugar in the diet is starch, but many studies show that it produces all of the effects that are commonly ascribed to sucrose and fructose, for example hyperglycemia (Villaume, et al., 1984) and increased weight gain.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In monkeys living in the wild, when their diet is mainly fruit, their cortisol is low, and it rises when they eat a diet with less sugar (Behie, et al., 2010). Sucrose consumption lowers ACTH, the main pituitary stress hormone (Klement, et al., 2009; Ulrich-Lai, et al., 2007), and stress promotes increased sugar and fat consumption (Pecoraro, et al., 2004)”
-Ray Peat