More Than 30% Of GP Doctors Suffer From "compassion Fatigue"

haidut

Forum Supporter
What a twisted/perverse way to say that a good portion of doctors are psychopaths. If anybody thinks this is an exaggerated/unsubstantiated statement check the link below.

Psychopaths make the best doctors because they can switch off emotionally

So, while the article at the end of the post makes the argument that burnout and crazy working hours are mostly responsible for the increase in "compassion fatigue", I think is also (unwittingly) provided a much more plausible explanation. Namely, the "workplace factors" doctors face are designed to create psychopaths because that is the only way a person can spend decades doing things that are highly detrimental to patients' health and not completely lose their mind. And what happens to the ones that refuse or are unable to become psychopaths? They commit suicide of course! Not many people know that doctors have the highest suicide rate of any profession. I wonder why no politician or public health authority figure/agency talks about that - i.e. how is it that the most admired profession forces such a large number of its practitioners to kill themselves...

Doctors' Suicide Rate Highest of Any Profession

Be that as it may, the article below reveals that the insanity does not stop there. Apparently, the powers that be are keenly aware that doctors are becoming psychopaths as a result of the very design of the system they work in. And instead of tackling that psychopathic system head on, the debate is now whether doctors should receive "evidence-based psychological interventions" in order to..."improve their quality of life". Do you know who gets "evidence-based psychological interventions" to "improve quality of life"? Terminally ill patients. In other words, people on whom the system has given up and has decided that nothing will be done to try and improve their lot. It's not that we can't, we simply won't. Apparently, doctors are now treated as terminally ill mental health patients. The powers that be "acknowledge doctors' frustration" (insanity would be a better word than frustration) and the source of their ills (literally) but decide it is more convenient (and profitable) to subject the doctors to the infamous "evidence-based" medicine that they practice so eagerly on their own patients. I guess you reap what you sow...

Resilience, burnout and coping mechanisms in UK doctors: a cross-sectional study
A third of GPs suffer from ‘compassion fatigue’

"...GPs and emergency doctors – those working on the frontline – are more likely to feel exhausted, stressed and ‘compassion fatigued’, said the study, which noted these doctors are ‘often working under pressure due to the nature and number of patients, time constraints and understaffing’."

"...A total of 31.5% UK doctors reported a high level of burnout, with 26.2% experiencing secondary traumatic stress – fear and negative feelings from work-related trauma – and 30.7% had low levels of compassion, said the study, published in BMJ Open. The BMA said the findings are ‘alarming’ and reflect years of underfunding in the NHS meaning doctors are working for longer, with fewer staff...The mean score across all doctors was 37. Respondents were asked about burnout, secondary traumatic stress and compassion levels, with 8% (120) scoring poorly across all three areas. Doctors most commonly reported self-distraction as a way of coping. Male respondents were ‘significantly more likely’ to use denial and humour to cope, whereas woman more often used support – emotional or through actions – and positive reframing."

"...They questioned whether doctors should receive evidence-based psychological interventions to improve their professional quality of life, or whether the problems should be tackled by ‘acknowledging and improving workplace factors’. The authors concluded: ‘It could be argued that if the NHS is to continue to remain among the highest-rated healthcare systems globally, ensuring the psychological well-being of its doctors should be seen as a matter of national importance.’"

Great post.

I didn't know that suicide rate was that high amount doctors. Another one of those facts which they try to keep away from the population so that they don't connect the dots.

Very interesting that psychiatry is one of the worst fields when it comes to doctors committing suicide:

"The review also showed that of all medical specialties, psychiatry is near the top in terms of suicide rates."

I guess having a profession which revolves around prescribing SSRIs and benzodiazepines to the patients and watch them get worse and worse every time you see them is very not rewarding.

Your not thinking logically Georgi your just angry and you need to lower your evil testosterone. You haven’t had enough soy, Xanax,Adderall, alcohol, statins, valproic acid, Seroquil, Zoloft, Prozac. In all honesty you probably have a Prozac deficiency... get a blood test. I bet you are deficient! You are such a quack that me and my father have been using your bogus magnesium supplement! God it sucks SO MUCH that I can’t help re-ordering.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I would expect it to be higher and think other medical workers have it too.

yerrag

Perhaps doctors can find some meaning in life by going to more medical missions so they can shower the poor with pills. They're the gift that keeps on giving -

- meaning
- purpose

to what it means to die a slow death.

Kunstruct

The assumption that all doctors even care about their job (to help others) in the first place is wrong. Most doctors care because of strict rules imposed to them.
If you would know personally many doctors you would now how annoyed they are that they have to consult this patient or the other, they dislike certain groups of people, etc. Massive biases and such.
How many around me didn't want when they were young to go and study medicine just because the payment is good and it is stable job unlike others with possibilities of getting paid better and better with age and experience.
Unfortunately I never heard anyone saying they have a passion for it or something like that, they may have said it in public but I am talking about private conversations.

So there is also that aspect to this job, which is the same with other jobs too.

HumanLife

Your not thinking logically Georgi your just angry and you need to lower your evil testosterone. You haven’t had enough soy, Xanax,Adderall, alcohol, statins, valproic acid, Seroquil, Zoloft, Prozac. In all honesty you probably have a Prozac deficiency... get a blood test. I bet you are deficient! You are such a quack that me and my father have been using your bogus magnesium supplement! God it sucks SO MUCH that I can’t help re-ordering.

Agreed. I can't believe anybody listens to this guy. He takes aspirin too, which shrinks brains. Actually, it was brain tumors, which is worse, because then we would have to throw these chemotherapy bags out of the closet. His massive serotonin deficiency explains many things. I would know this stuff, because I know him very well personally having talked to him once.

Agreed. I can't believe anybody listens to this guy. He takes aspirin too, which shrinks brains. Actually, it was brain tumors, which is worse, because then we would have to throw these chemotherapy bags out of the closet. His massive serotonin deficiency explains many things. I would know this stuff, because I know him very well personally having talked to him once.
The chemotherapy drugs are the best! It’s even better when we put young boys and girls on them for the sake of not having acne.

Perhaps doctors can find some meaning in life by going to more medical missions so they can shower the poor with pills. They're the gift that keeps on giving -

- meaning
- purpose

to what it means to die a slow death.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The assumption that all doctors even care about their job (to help others) in the first place is wrong. Most doctors care because of strict rules imposed to them.
If you would know personally many doctors you would now how annoyed they are that they have to consult this patient or the other, they dislike certain groups of people, etc. Massive biases and such.
How many around me didn't want when they were young to go and study medicine just because the payment is good and it is stable job unlike others with possibilities of getting paid better and better with age and experience.
Unfortunately I never heard anyone saying they have a passion for it or something like that, they may have said it in public but I am talking about private conversations.

So there is also that aspect to this job, which is the same with other jobs too.

Kunstruct, Mar 3, 2020

This is both very true,+ the OP from Haidut.

Great post.

I didn't know that suicide rate was that high amount doctors. Another one of those facts which they try to keep away from the population so that they don't connect the dots.

Very interesting that psychiatry is one of the worst fields when it comes to doctors committing suicide:

"The review also showed that of all medical specialties, psychiatry is near the top in terms of suicide rates."

I guess having a profession which revolves around prescribing SSRIs and benzodiazepines to the patients and watch them get worse and worse every time you see them is very not rewarding.
I started my residency in psychiatry after graduating med school and spent one year there. My health went downhill after. the end of the first year. after which i quit for a year then switched to GP which am currently doing. Not sure I want to stay in the medical field anymore at this point.

Hugh Johnson

I started my residency in psychiatry after graduating med school and spent one year there. My health went downhill after. the end of the first year. after which i quit for a year then switched to GP which am currently doing. Not sure I want to stay in the medical field anymore at this point.
Whether you want to or not, I suggest looking into Peter Breggin. Psychiatry is probably the worst of medicine, and the only one I consider indefensible. Not to say people who go into it are necessarily bad people, but they do seem to suffer from some serious misconceptions m

Whether you want to or not, I suggest looking into Peter Breggin. Psychiatry is probably the worst of medicine, and the only one I consider indefensible. Not to say people who go into it are necessarily bad people, but they do seem to suffer from some serious misconceptions m
ThX! Gonna check him.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Lol, I actually heard pretty much these statements from a doctor I went to school with. He was running genomic sequencing for a pharma company and was trying to get me to join. When I shared my views on metabolism and fascism in medicine he straight up asked me what prescription drugs I am taking. I said "none" and he just gave me this blank stare and said "dude, I don't know how you get by in this world without any pharma help. you need to call your doctor and get X, Y, etc ASAP!" And yes, he does take a LOT of prescription drug...and has replaced most of his protein with soy. Sounds like you have met either him or his twin brother somewhere:):

Lol, I actually heard pretty much these statements from a doctor I went to school with. He was running genomic sequencing for a pharma company and was trying to get me to join. When I shared my views on metabolism and fascism in medicine he straight up asked me what prescription drugs I am taking. I said "none" and he just gave me this blank stare and said "dude, I don't know how you get by in this world without any pharma help. you need to call your doctor and get X, Y, etc ASAP!" And yes, he does take a LOT of prescription drug...and has replaced most of his protein with soy. Sounds like you have met either him or his twin brother somewhere:):
Wow and that guy is treating patients on the daily :hairpull

Perry Staltic

Psychopaths make the best doctors because they can switch off emotionally

They make the best Big Harma distributors because that's all most doctors are anymore. MD = Medicine Distributor. They're not healers, they're state-sanctioned drug pushers.

Last edited:

Ben.

That is a great PDF, thanks regina.

Especially this part i resonate with alot:

"...Whatever the reason—dissimilarity or something more sinister—language alters perception, and perception affects our ethical calculus. For example, to build support for euthanasia of the disabled, Nazi filmmakers deliberately altered lighting on the faces of the disabled, to make them more “inhuman” in their appearance. Purposeful and dramatic dehumanization has the same ultimate outcome on our perception as slow, chronic dehumanization. Simple gestures— such as standing up against such language publicly when people dehumanize or showing personalistic leadership through examples of patience and even tenderness at the bedside—will do much to begin reversing this narrative. Finally, a fifth lesson to be learned is that, as a physician, you must serve the patient exclusively—not some abstracted idea of “society.” Physicians and health professionals in the Holocaust decided that the good of the racial state took precedence over the good of individual persons."