More Saturated fat seems to have lessened my adhd symptoms + reduced my facial bloating.

334c

hey, relating to edema and food consumption

i was checking out edwardjedmonds blog - he emphasises the value of saturated fat in the diet - claiming glucose is a primitive and inefficient energy source)
( i think i read he was a powerlifter)
ray also said that the muscles at rest consume saturated fat and the abundance of free saturated fatty acids in children prevent adrenal response

a few months ago i was doing very high carbohydrate and lowish fat - i got extremely skinny and low muscle, also was very susceptible to adrenaline / physiological anxiety / nervousness + got no work done and would have to keep topping up on carbs + i was retaining a lot of water - i especially had a bloated and round nose

this peat stuff made so much sense on paper but i was so weak and fragile. I was being such a princess - grazing fruit all day. kinda pathetic

lately ive been eating a tonne of butter on a small slice of sourdough a few times a day and consuming more saturated fat with meals. the butter on bread is my favourite thing to eat, its pretty much cured my adhd + after i finish the higher fat meal my nose shrinks and the tip is smaller and firm like it was when i was younger. the water retention in my face seems to slowly be reducing though my skin is still having issues breaking out - im guessing that is vitamin a related? idk - if someone had any advice on that thatd be great. My temps are also higher with wearing less clothing / layers

something like:
30 30 30 macros and pufa avoidance / topical vitamin e every other day seems to make a lot of sense and appeal to me at this point in time. saturated fat and dairy seems vital. i also consume a lot of gelatin, starches like rice and potato.

what do you folks think?

any details im leaving out lmk ill respond. (its late where im typing this so sorry if this is poorly written, if its a problem i can edit this in the morning). cheers.

Last edited:

jet9

Is it saturated fat that cause improvement in ADHD for you or replacement of sugars / fruits with starches? (You mentioned you are eating potatoes, rice, bread)

Also did you test other saturated fat sources? Like coconut oil, red meat, tallow? Curious if effect is butter specific.

Beef fat makes me feel quite good.

jet9

There is old thread where poster tested different food combinations for studying / concentration and from last update starch (potatoes) + lots of saturated fat (coconut oil) worked best for her. Wow-what A Difference!

Jam

I think you're on the right track. Saturated fat is manna for many (myself included). I often eat upwards of 100g of saturated fat daily (via butter, cream, creme fraiche, Italian lardo, tallow, milk, and cheese) with lowish (70-80g) protein and 100g or so of carbs. Pretty Edward J Edmonds - esque.

AlexR

It definitely sounds like you weren’t eating enough calories when you were low fat. Actually, you weren’t eating enough calories since you were losing weight and muscle and that will cause those symptoms. Saturated fat tastes good and has A LOT of extra calories, so it’s hard to not get enough calories while eating it unless you’re exercising a lot. That’s why a lot of people on this forum become overweight eating saturated fats. I don’t think they realize how many calories it adds and how little calories they burn being completely sedentary or close to it.

Jam

The trick to not gain weight on a high saturated fat* diet is to cut down on the carbs, otherwise the insulin spike from the carbs will keep all the saturated fat from prior meals in storage instead of being used for energy and heat production. Also, when at rest, and unless doing intense physical activity, most of the body (besides the brain) mainly burns fat, not glucose.

*This is the only type of high-fat diet I would ever support. High saturated fat, or low saturated fat. Choose wisely. Avoid PUFA like the plague.

Last edited:

jet9

I think you're on the right track. Saturated fat is manna for many (myself included). I often eat upwards of 100g of saturated fat daily (via butter, cream, creme fraiche, Italian lardo, tallow, milk, and cheese) with lowish (70-80g) protein and 100g or so of carbs. Pretty Edward J Edmonds - esque.
What are your carb sources?

AlexR

The trick to not gain weight on a high saturated fat* diet is to cut down on the carbs, otherwise the insulin spike from the carbs will keep all the saturated fat from prior meals in storage instead of being used for energy and heat production. Also, when at rest, and unless doing intense physical activity, most of the body (besides the brain) mainly burns fat, not glucose.

*This is the only type of high-fat diet I would ever support. High saturated fat, or low saturated fat. Choose wisely. Avoid PUFA like the plague.
Too many people have lost weight mixing fats and carbs, not eating carbs, not eating fats, etc.. for that to be true. The only argument that people can try to make is that cutting out a certain macro somehow causes your body to burn an increased amount of calories, but nobody here has proven that can happen to a level that matters for body composition beyond rat studies. You don’t need insulin to store fat. People get fat on the keto diet all the time because they think that calories don’t matter.

Jam

Of course you can get fat on a ketogenic diet or any other type of diet, it would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Eat no carbs but more fat than your body can burn, then eat even more beyond what can be disposed of via ketosis, and you'll store it. The point is that carbs and fat are absorbed, metabolized, burned and stored in a completely different manner, and if you push both fuel sources at the same time, you're just asking for trouble.

Maljam

My health only improved after discovering Edward Edmonds blog and making changes to my diet. Glad you are feeling better eating more saturated fat.

Maljam

This is very similar to how I eat and I am in the best health of my adult life.

jet9

My health only improved after discovering Edward Edmonds blog and making changes to my diet. Glad you are feeling better eating more saturated fat.
What do Edward's ideas advocate?
More saturated fat? (what about other fats like MUFA, omega 3 from fish, etc)
Also what about carb sources? Starch vs sugar?

I tried googling his blog but it's down now. "The connection has timed out"

gaze

the numbers your listing is around 1600 calories. for an adult male that's way too low unless your metabolic rate is extremely slow. unless you mean 100g of saturated fat + like 50 mufa ?

OP

334c

Is it saturated fat that cause improvement in ADHD for you or replacement of sugars / fruits with starches? (You mentioned you are eating potatoes, rice, bread)

Also did you test other saturated fat sources? Like coconut oil, red meat, tallow? Curious if effect is butter specific.
back when i was low fat and i added the starches it found that theyd allow me to concentrate longer but id still get that anxiety / frailness. after adding the fat i feel sturdy again.

mostly butter, full cream milk, coconut oil - tablespoon on carrot salad and also a tablespoon before bed (really pleasant). i also eat a lot of soft white goats cheese.

OP

334c

youre probably right about the under eating - i felt great while i was eating the carbs but an hour or two later id be running low on fuel- it was like couldnt really keep up. ive always been very skinny and underweight so some gains would be good. ive noticed some slightly 'overweight, people have this youthful robustness to them. its probably beneficial in some circumstances.

It definitely sounds like you weren’t eating enough calories when you were low fat. Actually, you weren’t eating enough calories since you were losing weight and muscle and that will cause those symptoms. Saturated fat tastes good and has A LOT of extra calories, so it’s hard to not get enough calories while eating it unless you’re exercising a lot. That’s why a lot of people on this forum become overweight eating saturated fats. I don’t think they realize how many calories it adds and how little calories they burn being completely sedentary or close to it.

OP

334c

yeah these macros have to most intuitive appeal to me :thumbsup:

OP

334c

What do Edward's ideas advocate?
More saturated fat? (what about other fats like MUFA, omega 3 from fish, etc)
Also what about carb sources? Starch vs sugar?

I tried googling his blog but it's down now. "The connection has timed out"
yeah for some reason his blog has been shutdown lately.

hes basically anti pufa and agrees about peats idea of energy and structure. hes very pro saturated fat from dairy in particular. he had some really great content u should definitely keep a look out for his blogs return.

he also said something very interesting - that the brain actually runs on lactate, which is delivered by the red blood cells. (id need to learn more about this)

Jam

the numbers your listing is around 1600 calories. for an adult male that's way too low unless your metabolic rate is extremely slow. unless you mean 100g of saturated fat + like 50 mufa ?
Yeah no, I don't eat pure stearic acid. Let's see, yesterday it was 98g SAT, 7g PUFA and 54g MUFA + 77g protein + 128g carbs (mostly from a plate of potato gnocchi with pesto sauce.)