More On Cyproheptadine

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is a continuation on my posts about cyproheptadine. Given that this is an independent "confirmation" of Peat's views I thought that it warranted. Some guy filed and was granted a patent on using serotonin antagonists, and especially cyproheptadine for the treatment of cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's Disease (AD), and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Read through the use cases reported, they are pretty interesting. What is also interesting is that the patent was filed in 1985 and granted in 1987, which is way before Peat created his website and even wrote about the effects of serotonin antagonists.
Here is the actual patent information:
http://www.google.com/patents/EP0214557A2

Even more interestingly, the same guy filed and was granted patents on using uric acid (a strong antioxidant with many benefits according to Peat) to treat AIDS, cancer and other viral diseases, and even aging itself.
https://www.google.com/patents/CA230486 ... CEAQ6AEwAQ

Finally, the same guy filed and was granted a patent on using serotonin antagonists for the treatment of anemia.
https://www.google.com/patents/US508112 ... CFwQ6AEwBQ

I don't think Peat has written on the connection between anemia and serotonin directly but I have seen other studies on PubMed claiming that there is a strong connection and using tryptophan depletion (which achieves similar results to serotonin antagonists) for treating anemia. So the next time somebody asks about safe anemia treatment without getting iron involved, we have one (potential) answer, which using cyproheptadine, ondansetron, or depleting tryptophan.
Thoughts?

nograde

Blossom

Forum Supporter
superhuman said:
dam cypro seems like a god pill.
Does anyone still use it now?
I do at least a few times per week.

sunmountain

It helps me sleep. It probably is also one of the players in keeping stress hormones down, so that my body can tolerate increased thyroid. Until very recently, I could not increase thyroid since starting peating 3 months ago.

I use a half a pill (2 mg.) 2 or 3 nights per week. The results seem to last for days. I think if I took it every night it might be constipating, but that's just me.

jyb

Cypro's effect on my libido are unique among all anti-serotonin methods I've tested.

narouz

sunmountain said:
It helps me sleep. It probably is also one of the players in keeping stress hormones down, so that my body can tolerate increased thyroid. Until very recently, I could not increase thyroid since starting peating 3 months ago.

sun-
What were the bad effects when you tried to increase thyroid (before the cyproheptadine)?

sunmountain

Narouz, my body's way of telling me to decrease thyroid is joint pains and intense fatigue. With daytime T3, it might also have been diarrhea. Nowadays I take cynoplus only, divided twice a day.

When I back off the increase, the joint pains and fatigue largely resolve.

Peat's sake

I have MS, recently diagnosed this year, that led me to find Ray Peat and change my low carb ways. I am now eating a peat inspired diet and have added both tyromix and tyronene to help my thyroid ( I was formerly on Nature throid but it didn't seem to work well for me) . I have been seriously considering taking cyproheptadine, and was thrilled to see this post. I have a weird sensation in my left eye, that I could most describe as feeling numb, when I first wake up. It goes away, and it doesn't affect my vision, but it hasn't gotten better since it appeared with my first MS attack, even though the other symptoms that first appeared, tingling and weakness in left arm and leg, have resolved for the most part. Are there any downsides or things that I might need to watch out for, if I attempt this antihistamine? I would love recommendations on dosing. My daughter is a nurse practicianer and going to write this for 8 mg per night, however, I am guessing I shouldn't start so high?

Ideonaut

This is a continuation on my posts about cyproheptadine. Given that this is an independent "confirmation" of Peat's views I thought that it warranted. Some guy filed and was granted a patent on using serotonin antagonists, and especially cyproheptadine for the treatment of cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's Disease (AD), and Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Read through the use cases reported, they are pretty interesting. What is also interesting is that the patent was filed in 1985 and granted in 1987, which is way before Peat created his website and even wrote about the effects of serotonin antagonists.
Patent EP0214557A2 - Use of serotonin antagonists, particularly cyproheptadine, in the treatment of cancer, Alzheimer's disease, AIDS and multiple sclerosis

Even more interestingly, the same guy filed and was granted patents on using uric acid (a strong antioxidant with many benefits according to Peat) to treat AIDS, cancer and other viral diseases, and even aging itself.

Finally, the same guy filed and was granted a patent on using serotonin antagonists for the treatment of anemia.

I don't think Peat has written on the connection between anemia and serotonin directly but I have seen other studies on PubMed claiming that there is a strong connection and using tryptophan depletion (which achieves similar results to serotonin antagonists) for treating anemia. So the next time somebody asks about safe anemia treatment without getting iron involved, we have one (potential) answer, which using cyproheptadine, ondansetron, or depleting tryptophan.
Thoughts?
What would be an effective method of depleting tryptophan beyond avoiding it in food?

Regina

Patent EP0214557A2 - Use of serotonin antagonists, particularly cyproheptadine, in the treatment of cancer, Alzheimer's disease, AIDS and multiple sclerosis

Thoughts?
:dancingsmileyman :clap: This approach (serotonin antagonists), along with increasing magnesium, seem to have healed my severe anemia.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would be an effective method of depleting tryptophan beyond avoiding it in food?

Did you search the forum for "tryptophan depletion" or "serotonin depletion"? There must be at least 20 threads on those topics, not to mention numerous related comments by people trying their own methods.