More Evidence That Anti-depressants May Worsen Mental Health

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think at this point there is enough evidence to warrant putting quotes around the term "anti-depressants" since in many cases not only they do not improve mental health but may make the situation dramatically worse. This latest study adds even more weight to the evidence against the commonly used SSRI drugs.

http://www.psypost.org/2015/09/antidepr ... rder-37574

"...In a 2008 article in Journal of Affective Disorders, El-Mallakh described a condition he attributed to long-term antidepressant use which he called “antidepressant-associated chronic irritable dysphoria” (ACID). In the article, El-Mallakh cited a number of patients who took antidepressants for long periods of time and subsequently developed a consistent state of low mood, irritability and sleep disturbance. These symptoms were relieved when the patients discontinued antidepressants."

"In a 2011 article in Medical Hypothesis, El-Mallakh analyzed data on patients whose depression initially improved with antidepressants, but later worsened. He hypothesized that some patients experienced a condition he called “tardive dysphoria,” in which antidepressants lose their effectiveness and may actually induce depression with long-term use."

Yet, stunningly, the same scientist concludes that the "anti-depressants" are useful medications. Sounds very much like the assumption "PUFA is essential, therefore...".

messtafarian

It's kind of funny to look back and realize how naive we were when all these things were coming out. No one questioned at all how they were being tested or what they did, or what proof anyone had that "depression" even existed or how it was defined. Yet suddenly everybody was taking their pill because they were "depressed."

tara

Breggins' Talking Back to Prozac came out more than two decades ago, I think?
And Kathleen DesMaisons Potatoes not Prozac (though she was recommending potatoes and timing to increase serotonin by 'natural' means).

mujuro

For those of us who have already been on antidepressants long term, what can we do about substituting it in the meantime or repairing the damage done?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
mujuro said:
post 100725 For those of us who have already been on antidepressants long term, what can we do about substituting it in the meantime or repairing the damage done?

Cyproheptadine has been successfully used in the past to wean people off of SSRI. Bromocriptine and other LSD-derivatives are probably also helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
haidut said:
post 100774
mujuro said:
post 100725 For those of us who have already been on antidepressants long term, what can we do about substituting it in the meantime or repairing the damage done?

Cyproheptadine has been successfully used in the past to wean people off of SSRI. Bromocriptine and other LSD-derivatives are probably also helpful.
In addition to what haidut mentioned I have found pregnenolone helpful. I've been off antidepressants for coming up on seven years now and wasn't aware of Peat's work when I stopped taking them. Taking antidepressants is in the top three worst mistakes I've made in my life.

Peata

I know during the times I went on them, I felt good at first for I don't know how long - weeks, months, and then it kind of leveled off and I became more aware of the side effects, and they started to become more troublesome than the positive effects were worth. The last time I went on one though, it didn't help anything and only made me gain weight and have the usual side effects, plus high blood pressure for a time. I think I was in a situation of learned helplessness which made it worse.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 100804 I know during the times I went on them, I felt good at first for I don't know how long - weeks, months, and then it kind of leveled off and I became more aware of the side effects, and they started to become more troublesome than the positive effects were worth. The last time I went on one though, it didn't help anything and only made me gain weight and have the usual side effects, plus high blood pressure for a time. I think I was in a situation of learned helplessness which made it worse.

Something to consider, for all women currently on or considering an SSRI:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3251

haidut said:
chronic irritable dysphoria

That's an amazingly good description :ss I know a few who are like that.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
post 100808
haidut said:

That's like 90% of my coworkers, especially the older ones.

There seems to me to be a tendency to dismiss anyone who doesn't feel as bad as they do as some fool who doesn't see the whole picture. They often proclaim that "nothing matters", but apparently it matters that someone else can afford a smile every now and then :ss

Makrosky

Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:

I can relate to that thing after discontinuing Prozac. It lasted months.

Do you guys think SSRI's like fluoxetine can up/down-regulate some receptors permanently ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
post 100830 There seems to me to be a tendency to dismiss anyone who doesn't feel as bad as they do as some fool who doesn't see the whole picture. They often proclaim that "nothing matters", but apparently it matters that someone else can afford a smile every now and then :ss
Learned helplessness on their part perhaps?

Blossom said:
post 100975
Such_Saturation said:
post 100830 There seems to me to be a tendency to dismiss anyone who doesn't feel as bad as they do as some fool who doesn't see the whole picture. They often proclaim that "nothing matters", but apparently it matters that someone else can afford a smile every now and then :ss
Learned helplessness on their part perhaps?

Yes, it must be a very basic lack of energy in the brain I think. When you feel the "down" in your mind and in your gut for a long time it becomes impossible not to assume that philosophy, because nothing else makes sense.

Frankdee20

I can relate to that thing after discontinuing Prozac. It lasted months.

Do you guys think SSRI's like fluoxetine can up/down-regulate some receptors permanently ?

Only death is permanent