Montmorency says hello...

montmorency

This is slightly odd, because I had a feeling I'd joined this forum before, but I couldn't find a "welcome" email, and I couldn't sign on with what would have been my credentials, so it seems I wasn't registered.

It must have been a similar forum elsewhere.

But if anyone remembers me from before, well, here I am again.

As mentioned elsewhere I was a low-carber before I discovered Ray Peat, but unlike other "ex" low-carbers who discover RP, I'm not going to criticise it.

For one thing, there are many ways of doing LC. For example, it's not all Atkins (he didn't invent LC, not by a long chalk; read Gary Taubes to get a better perspective on where Atkins fits in).
Plus not all of us were into PUFAs. The only fats I ever used were beef-dripping, butter and coconut oil. Just like now, in fact.

However, this isn't the place to discuss LC, I know.
I'm looking forward to learning more from fellow Peat enthusiasts.

4peatssake

montmorency said:
This is slightly odd, because I had a feeling I'd joined this forum before, but I couldn't find a "welcome" email, and I couldn't sign on with what would have been my credentials, so it seems I wasn't registered.

It must have been a similar forum elsewhere.

But if anyone remembers me from before, well, here I am again.

As mentioned elsewhere I was a low-carber before I discovered Ray Peat, but unlike other "ex" low-carbers who discover RP, I'm not going to criticise it.

For one thing, there are many ways of doing LC. For example, it's not all Atkins (he didn't invent LC, not by a long chalk; read Gary Taubes to get a better perspective on where Atkins fits in).
Plus not all of us were into PUFAs. The only fats I ever used were beef-dripping, butter and coconut oil. Just like now, in fact.

However, this isn't the place to discuss LC, I know.
I'm looking forward to learning more from fellow Peat enthusiasts.
:welcome2 to the forum Montmorency!

You're exactly right in thinking that you won't find many LC advocates here because for most of us who've done that, it pretty much killed our metabolism.

It's not the type of fat that was the problem, as much as it was not eating sugar.
Here sugar's the thing. Sugar is king. Sugar heals. Sugar protects. Sugar is the primary fuel.

And Sugar tastes GOOD! :coke

Good fats are important yes, but no PUFAs. And depending on context between 80 and 150 g for protein, with some emphasis on collagen.

Here's a link to a recording of an interview with Ray Peat where he discusses the drawbacks of LC, if you're interested in his views on it.

Ray Peat Interview on the Drawbacks of Low Carb

montmorency

4peatssake said:
[
:welcome2 to the forum Montmorency!

You're exactly right in thinking that you won't find many LC advocates here because for most of us who've done that, it pretty much killed our metabolism.

It's not the type of fat that was the problem, as much as it was not eating sugar.
Here sugar's the thing. Sugar is king. Sugar heals. Sugar protects. Sugar is the primary fuel.

And Sugar tastes GOOD! :coke

Good fats are important yes, but no PUFAs. And depending on context between 80 and 150 g for protein, with some emphasis on collagen.

Here's a link to a recording of an interview with Ray Peat where he discusses the drawbacks of LC, if you're interested in his views on it.

Ray Peat Interview on the Drawbacks of Low Carb

Many thanks 4peatssake. I love listening to Ray, so I will set aside some time for listening to that when it's quiet and I'm in the right frame of mind. Ray always sounds to me like a wise old grandfather, but a lot smarter than most grandfathers! :):

Perhaps when I've been here a bit longer, I'll start a thread in the non-Ray-Peat section of the forum, and chew over a few Low Carb issues, but here is neither the time or place I think.

I'm pretty much there on protein and collagen. I think I only eat the right fats, but possibly too many of them. Sugar is perhaps the sticking point. Not that I don't like it, but I like (or liked) it too much. I think I probably ticked the sugar-addicts box. I could mainline fruit and dried fruit endlessly. And that's the problem. It's hard to control that kind of thing. At least for me. I was never a starch addict. I quit bread, pasta, spuds and rice ovenight and never missed them.

Anyway, I'm back on fruit, but I try not to overdo it, and try to stick to Ray's approved fruits, so far as I know them. (Grapes, oranges, melons....anything without unavoidable seeds, and the emphasis on tropical?).

Maybe I'm too low on salt. Have to watch that.