mono diglycerides in BCAA supplement

Vinero

So I recently bought a BCAA supplement at a health food store.
It's ingredients were: L-leucine, L-valine, L-Isoleucine, Vitamin B6 as pyridoxine hydrochloride, and Mono & diglycerides.

The supplement is working wonders for me. I take 10 grams with my food and 2 - 3 hours later I feel very relaxed, clear-headed and energetic. Only problem is I am paranoid of the mono diglycerides it contains, is it a PUFA? even though it is likely a trace amount it goes against my principles of avoiding all PUFA no matter what.

himsahimsa

Mono and Di_Glycerides and Tri_Glycerides are fats minus two and one fatty acid respectively (so they can claim fat-free because by the technical definition fat is Tri) and because the unoccupied hydroxyl hanging in the breeze with a fatty or two next door make these things great emulsifiers so your powder will mix with some hydrous liquid easily and not just be a nasty clump. It is totally constructed. The fatty acid content is tailored to the use. If you can contact the compounder of the BCAA, they might take the trouble to get the information for you, there is a data sheet somewhere.

Mono and Di- Glycerides go rancid just like any other fat. If they are mixed with a powder they are massively exposed to the atmosphere because of the high surface area created and go bad really fast. If your stuff has been open for more than a week and does not smell rancid, they probably used saturated fatty acids. It would be nuts for them to use PUFAs in a powder, they would have zero repeat customers. But still, Mono and Di_Glycerides are as synthetic as it gets.

Rancid is a certain thing and has a certain characteristic odor, not just some bad smell. People use the word like that but it really means something identifiable, something specific. Take some highly PUFA oil (Corn oil gets a really characteristic rancid odor) and wet a sheet of paper with it. Not dripping, just wetted. Drape it over something out of the way and well exposed to air for a month or so. The smell it gets is rancid. It's useful to know. You will be horrified as you realize how much rancid siht you have eaten in your life. And how willing people are to feed it to you.

Try here for protein minus crud: http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php

It's usually soy lecithin in the more popular brands. It's the old american ideal of "I'm willing to pay more if it tastes good and it's easy to mix, although the substance never was meant to taste good and I know it".