Mom with Graves' disease, taking Methimazole / selenium, not sure what to tell her

FredSonoma

Hi all,

My mom has been diagnosed with Graves' disease (overactive thyroid) and has been prescribed Methimazole and has also started taking Selenium from reading online. Ideally, I'd convinced her to go full Peat, but I don't think it would be possible.

What advice can I give her? What might be causing her overactive thyroid? She does already avoid PUFA for the most part.

Peatit

My mom is in the same situation since one year, her dosage of carbimazole (precursor for methimazole) is such that her own thyroid is put "at rest". Is your mom in need for exogenous hormones? What are her antibodies levels?
I suspect that my mom developed this disease following a dental X ray; but I think more generally that antibodies ( like RP often explains ), are just here to clean up the junk and in this case, they are here to shrink a gland enlarged by excessive TSH.
TSH may have rose because of an inability of the gland to secrete properly that might be caused by a variety of factors but the usual suspect here is PUFA (stored or dietary).
The thing that I try to do with my mom is to minimize her TSH in order for the gland to shrink and hopefully for the antibodies to disappear. Because carbimazole is starting to wreak havoc on her immune system.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals