Molybdenum, Hard To Pronounce, Harder Still To Obtain

LLight

Effect of molybdenum on other trace elements - iodine, manganese and tungsten, arsenic and selenium​

Effect of molybdenum on other trace elements - iodine

The effect of molybdenum on iodine metabolism in rabbits was to cause a decrease in the initial rate of uptake of iodine by the thyroid [Robinson et al., 1965]. More iodine was retained in the plasma of molybdate-fed rabbits
. In connection with iodine metabolism it is of interest that in certain areas where goitre is endemic in human beings it was found that the molybdenum/copper ratio in food was greater than in other areas although there was no relationship between the incidence of goitre and the individual concentrations of molybdenum and copper [Tsvetkova, 1969].

Tsvetkova, I. N., Gig. Sanit., 1969, 34, 92.
Robinson, G. A., Riddell, P. E. and McCarter, A., Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol., 1965, 43, 723.

Could a molybdenum deficiency lead to a too much important uptake of iodine by the thyroid, and inversely a lack for the rest of the body?

BearWithMe

Molybdenum is fairly rare on Earth, but quite abundant on Mars.

There is a theory that life originated on Mars, because there was not enough Molybdenum on Earth for a life to evolve here.

Peatress

The signs of a molybdenum deficiency may include a night blindness, sensitivity to sulfites, rapid resting heart rate and signs associated with poor iron absorption.

People who are deficient in molybdenum-containing enzymes due to genetic mutations have low sulfite oxidase activity which makes them unable to process sulphur-containing amino acids leading to a severe brain damage.

Symptoms of deficiency include also problems with uric acid production.

OJ and Salt

Forum Supporter
About 18 years ago, I was experiencing declining body temperature. I was hovering around 96 degrees. I researched extensively and found that molybdenum can help to move the low body temperature up. I bought some at the local healthfood store. Within 3 days I was at 98.6 and have remained there.

Back
Top Bottom