Molecular Iodine: Could This Be A Game Changer For Dentistry?

yerrag

@Jam The product page of Prescribe for Life for Potassium Iodide (Potassium Iodide - Pure USP Powder - Averages 24% K / 76% I) says:

LUGOL’S SOLUTION 5% Solution ...

...Note: How to Test for Iodine Deficiency
1 Drop of above solution on the inside of wrist. If it disappears in less than 4 hours, you are low in Iodine.

Have you tested using this method?

Infarouge

I wonder if regular iodine crystals can be micronized like is commonly done with other supplements. I know some brands market "nano" and "ionic" which is probably some version of this. I understand Dr. Group uses some proprietary high voltage process. Makes sense it would be effective at much smaller doses.

Jam

@Jam The product page of Prescribe for Life for Potassium Iodide (Potassium Iodide - Pure USP Powder - Averages 24% K / 76% I) says:

LUGOL’S SOLUTION 5% Solution ...

...Note: How to Test for Iodine Deficiency
1 Drop of above solution on the inside of wrist. If it disappears in less than 4 hours, you are low in Iodine.

Have you tested using this method?

It is very unreliable as the rate of disappearance depends quite a bit on environmental temperature and humidity.

yerrag

It is very unreliable as the rate of disappearance depends quite a bit on environmental temperature and humidity.
I tested it and in less than an hour the color was gone.

Jam

I tested it and in less than an hour the color was gone.

I often drop some Lugol's on my skin for disinfection of cat scratches and such, and it totally depends on environmental factors. Even in my iodine-saturated state, this past summer iodine stains on my skin would often disappear in very little time, under a couple hours.

Abraham said:
To answer the second question, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine. Many factors play a role in the disappearance of the yellow color of iodine from the surface of the skin. For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white. In order to regenerate iodine on the skin, one needs to apply an oxidant such as hydrogen peroxide, complicating the test further. The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure. For example, the yellow color of iodine will disappear much faster in Denver, Colorado at 5,000 feet above sea level than in Los Angeles, California at sea level, irrespective of the amount of bioavailable iodine. The iodine/iodide loading test4 is much more accurate, and it is now available from three laboratories participating in the proficiency testing of Optimox Corporation: FFP Laboratories in Hendersonville, North Carolina; Hakala Research in Lakewood, Colorado; and Labrix Clinical Services Inc. in Oregon City, Oregon.

yerrag

Vajra

As you may remember, I discovered that I had severe periodontitis in 2012. Initially, I lost 2 wisdom teeth that just fell out while eating. Since then, I have lost the other 2 wisdom teeth, and 6 molars. The good news is that I have not lost a single tooth since 2017, and while I have deep pockets around most remaining teeth, including a loose upper incisor (that has been loose since 2012), these "stragglers" and my gums have not felt better in decades. It may be that many of these periodontal pockets are healing. I started taking Lugol's iodine in early 2018, both as a supplement and (diluted) as a mouthwash. I've been on 8-16 drops of Lugol's for two years, by now. I am also known to occasionally take up to a gram of SSKI. Anyhow, still back around the time I started on iodine, I began developing a gingival abscess in my remaining lower-left molar, which vanished the day after dropping some SSKI on the tooth. Haven't had a single abscess or any sort of dental problems since that time. The iodine also seems to have nuked some nagging post-tendonitis pains in both shoulders and a persisting inflamed sciatica.
Any advice in the way of the Wolff-Chaikoff effect? I've been meaning to start Lugol's mainly for oral health.

Jam

Any advice in the way of the Wolff-Chaikoff effect? I've been meaning to start Lugol's mainly for oral health.
Here is the original Wolff–Chaikoff publication.

Wolff & Chaikoff. "Plasma inorganic iodide as a homeostatic regulator of thyroid function." Journal of Biological Chemistry (1948)

This is interesting, and it does appear that we do have a fundamental safety mechanism built in to our thyroids to prevent thyroxine hypersynthesis. Yet since Wolff had used injections of potassium iodide at massive doses (with Chaikoff of course making him coffee), I am doubting the relevance of this effect.

'Despite an almost complete block in the gland’s capacity to bind iodine organically during the first 6 to 12 hours after the injection of massive doses of iodide, the gland does not lose its ability to concentrate iodine at such times.' ―Wolff
'By means of this homeostatic regulator the formation of toxic amounts of thyroid hormone is prevented.' ―Chaikoff
He had expressed the concentrations in 'γ per cent,' which I believe is equivalent to μg per 100·g. Greek lowercase gamma had commonly been used to refer to the microgram before the the metric system had been formally standardized, and its' use had become obsolete by the 1960s. [Yet Terrence McKenna had used this unit though to refer to LSD doses in a few of his lectures, perhaps because his brother had been a chemist old enough to have encountered it.] Although blood concentrations are more commonly given per volume, it makes sense to express them per unit mass when thyroid tissue concentrations are also reported. Either way, blood probably doesn't differ too much from the density of water (1·g/mL), making the conversion easy.

Grams of potassium iodide have been given to people, for months, and with only 5.5% of cases reporting side effects.

'METHODS:
We conducted a retrospective analysis of medical records over a 24-year period (1981-2005). Patients of all ages who were treated in the hospital´s division of dermatology were included in the study providing that they had a positive culture of S. schenckii. Saturated solution of potassium iodide (3 to 6g per day) was the treatment prescribed. For children, half of the dose was prescribed.
RESULTS:
The lymphocutaneous disease was prevalent, the cure rate was 94.7%, side effects were described in 5.5% of the cases, mean length of treatment was 3.5 months and possible reactivation was observed in 11.1%.
CONCLUSION:
SSKI is an effective drug, with many side effects, but with low frequency. Resolution was for maximum six months of treatment. SSKI has been found to be a very effective drug in this retrospective study of culture-proven cases of cutaneous and lymphocutaneous sporotrichosis. It should be used as first drug of choice especially in resource-limited settings.' ―Yamada
The article below shows the effects of supplemental iodide on serum blood values, expressed in micrograms per 100 milliliters (equivalent to the historical to γ per cent):

Fisher, D. A. "Effect of increased dietary iodide on thyroid accumulation and secretion in euthyroid Arkansas subjects." The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (1965)
'Observations are described here for a similar group of adults given chronic dietary supplements of potassium iodide, at the levels of 0, 252 and 1009·μg I/day, in addition to the average intake q of about 370·μg I/day prevailing in the Arkansas population.' ―Fisher

The extra milligram of iodide had only doubled the serum levels after 13 weeks with no perceivable effect on thyroxine synthesis, yet the highest dose used had still been far less than the gram-sized doses given clinically. One milligram is still less than the average Japanese intake today, and much less than what had been consumed historically by coast-dwellers.

'THE DIET of the Japanese customarily includes moderate to large quantities of foods rich in iodine. For example, the dry weight of such food as "tangle" contains 0.3% iodine and this maybe eaten in quantities as large as 10 g daily.' ―Nagataki
'Two patients were taking a soup of seaweed (the most popular way to cook seaweed in Japan) almost every day; the urinary 127 I⁻ was 18.7 and 13.0 mg/day and serum inorganic I⁻ was 10.4 and 7.2·μg/100 ml, respectively.' ―Nagataki

Despite the much higher intakes and excretion, these two Japanese subjects had essentially the same plasma levels as inhabitants of Arkansas given orders of magnitude less. I think this could mean that the kidneys are so efficient at filtering iodide that the 'Wolff–Chaikoff effect,' that of thyroxine inhibition, is never observed through oral consumption. Perhaps the 5.5% of patients having reported side effects after taking gram-sized doses per day, above, were those having low renal function? The Wolff–Chaikoff effect does not start occurring until a plasma value of ~20 γ per cent is obtained.

What I think is going on is that iodide partitions into the membranes on account of its relative lipophilicity, and also into the extracellular space on account unique affinity for glycogen. Like amylopectin, the similar glycogen has a penchant for binding iodide—the reason why microscopy grade Lugol's solution is sold. I would even bet money the reason that seaweed is particularly high in iodide is on account of its polysaccharides binding it, being essentially the only source of the polymer in oceanic ecosystems. On account of the presumed disposition of iodide into the tissues, serum iodide levels necessary for Wolff–Chaikoff inhibition may not be possible without prior injection—or perhaps by ingesting 'suicide attempt-sized doses.'

Back
Top Bottom