Moldy Home Woes

Preface: I know it's a long one so if you're not interested in reading the whole story skip to the bottom.

I've been combating mold now for about three months now. It all began around March when temperatures began to rise necessitating the use of air conditioning. I didn't notice anything for a while except my dog started behaving differently.

First, he began refusing food. Then, he became increasingly lethargic, laying around while breathing rapidly but shallowly. Finally, he started to refuse even water. This all happened within the course of a week. I was afraid he would certainly die so I took him to a family member's house. There he ate (his usual food) and drank to capacity. Within a couple of days he was his old self. I left him there and returned home.

Upon entering my house again it hit me. Lingering in the air was an unpleasant musty smell. The previous homeowner advised me to pour bleach in the AC drip pan every 2 weeks which I had forgotten to do since I reactivated the system. I thought bleach would solve the issue pretty quickly, and it did, but only temporarily. The next day the odor was back, albeit faintly.

I carried on thinking little of it. I assumed since the house has a pier and beam foundation with a persistently damp crawlspace that the odor was simply due to the nature of the house. I still was uncertain why my dog began acting seemingly suicidal so quickly. I chalked it up to him missing my family member's dog and my family member place the blame on ghosts since weird things have happened in the house at night that my dog has reacted to. Then after a few more weeks it really struck me.

You know how every house has an odor that you become immune to? Not so with my house. The mildew smell became increasingly stronger as the days went by to the point where I could no longer ignore it. Compounding the issue, I began to experience similar symptoms to my dog. My appetite began to diminish and I would become nauseated whenever I did eat. I also became forgetful. It was just like when you have too much weed and you forget what you're saying while midsentence. It was happening all the time and it was very disturbing. My sinuses became consistently stuffy making it near impossible to breath nasally. Brain fog and fatigue were also present.

After my symptoms increased in intensity I checked the AC system again. Now the condensers were entirely black, coated with a slimy black mold. I promptly shut the system off. Turning the system off helped decrease the odor but still my symptoms remained. I stayed in the house for about 5 days with no AC, sleeping with temps in the low 80s. One evening, I was sitting in a recliner dozing off when all of a sudden I felt this overwhelming sense of dread like something terrible was about to happen. It became difficult to breathe and I was gasping for air. I felt like I had to evacuate immediately and if I remained in the house I would surely die.

That night and from then on I slept in my truck. I avoided going inside as much as I could, entering only to cook, shower, etc but never lingering for long. Besides, it was hotter inside than out, with temperatures often reaching the 90s. I began to feel better but not 100 percent. The only time I would feel normal is when I stayed out of town. The mildew odor stick to anything porous, especially clothing. It's pungent enough that other people notice it from a good distance.

I hired a mold remediation company to tackle the issue. I restarted the ac system so they could take air quality samples and when I did so my eyes and throat immediately started burning. To make a long story a little bit shorter, the company fogged the house and cleaned the ac system. They also discovered that mold is festering in the bathroom behind the drywall which I opted not to tear out due to the cost (I've had the house listed for sale since January for reasons unrelated to the mold issue; remodelling the bathroom would cause me to lose even more money).

It's been nearly two weeks now since the treatment which at first seemed to have been effective. I was out of town for the majority of last week, leaving shortly after the remediation procedure. I felt back to my old self while away. However, upon returning I've experienced a gradual worsening of my condition. The mildew smell is gone, or at least it's only detectable in fleeting instances, though it could be covered by the residual mold-killing chems.

As of now, I'm feeling very fatigued and my appetite is quickly vanishing once more. I wake up with bloody sinuses and feeling drained, like I've slept 4 hours instead of the actual 8. Fortunately, I have a contract on the property so I won't have to stay here much longer. The problem is that I'm not due to leave town again until next week. I also would like to control the mold situation for the buyer. Perhaps it's just me and my immune system and he'll be far more resilient to it.

Starting tomorrow, I will be forcing myself to eat just beef, like a protein sparing modified fast, in hopes of preserving muscle mass. I'd eat normally except that it amplifies my symptoms. I feel better fasted but I'll lose muscle for sure if I do so since I'm 6'1" at 154lbs. I'm also contemplating sleeping outside in my truck again. I never knew mold could do so much damage.

Problem: moldy crawlspace, moldy AC, and black mold behind drywall.

Symptoms: brain fog, fatigue, sinus issues, shortness of breath, memory lapses, appetite loss, nausea. Dog experienced nausea, loss of appetite, runny nose, and fatigue

Supplements: Pau d'arco tea as antifungal, milk thistle tincture to aid liver in toxin removal, coffee for energy and liver, cannabis at night for nausea and sleep aid(doesn't help appetite)

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, any suggestions?

orewashin

Buy a mold safety mask at your home improvement store and try to buy pre-packaged foods or cook outside.

Tom K

Mold remediation is important, but there are other components that must be implemented.
1. UVC light on AC to destroy the mold spores as they recirculate.
2. HEPA filter (preferably with UVC or hydroxyl radical light.)
3. Cheap HEPA substitute for crawl space: buy a box fan ($20-30), buy a MERv 12 or higher furnace filter, Tape the filter to the box fan and let it run constantly. Change filter regularly.
4. Concrobium, available at Home Depot, etc. It destroys mold by exploding the spores not through germicidal action. It is safe, based on a mineral solution, and can be used prophylactically.
5. Use an intestinal binder: For you cholestramine and/or a Product from Quicksilver labs UltraBinder.
6. Buy dehumidifiers for the lowest level of your home (basement and crawl space).

OP
Randle Cyclist
Thanks for the advice, both of you. A mask is out of the question since they make me feel claustrophobic. I tried one at the onset of my symptoms and lasted only 5 minutes before I had to rip it off.

I'll have to look into the hepa filter and uvc light, as well as the concrobium. The mold remediation company ought to have used them considering how much I paid them. I found out after the fact that the chemical they used retails for like 60 dollars a gallon. I might buy some and spray the house again before I move out.

I believe the root of the problem is that the crawlspace is always damp. The house sits a good 20 inches off the ground with decent airflow but mold still develops nevertheless. The house is situated at the base of a hill so rain water always flows towards the house. I was advised against installing a drain since the foundation would certainly shift dramatically should the crawlspace dry out due to the heavy clay soil.

So, the damp, clay soil of the crawlspace increases the humidity in the house, fosters mold growth which releases spores that travel upwards into the house, and the condensation and particles in the ac system provide the perfect breeding ground for mold to fester. The mold in the ac system then has its toxins and spores forcefully distributed throughout the house. All in all it's a real mess of a situation. I certainly will never live in a pier and beam home after this experience.

I think my dad was prescribed cholestramine a few years ago. My mom may still have it around, if it hasn't already expired. I'll have to check next time I visit her. My concern is that it will significantly lower my cholesterol levels. I have activated charcoal on hand. Do you think that'll work? That ultrabinder product seems pricey for what it is.

Tom K

Activated charcoal works on some species of mold toxins, not all. Cholestyramine will lower cholesterol , and it can cause constipation, but 7-12 days is all that you need.

FredSonoma

Mold remediation is important, but there are other components that must be implemented.
1. UVC light on AC to destroy the mold spores as they recirculate.
2. HEPA filter (preferably with UVC or hydroxyl radical light.)
3. Cheap HEPA substitute for crawl space: buy a box fan ($20-30), buy a MERv 12 or higher furnace filter, Tape the filter to the box fan and let it run constantly. Change filter regularly.
4. Concrobium, available at Home Depot, etc. It destroys mold by exploding the spores not through germicidal action. It is safe, based on a mineral solution, and can be used prophylactically.
5. Use an intestinal binder: For you cholestramine and/or a Product from Quicksilver labs UltraBinder.
6. Buy dehumidifiers for the lowest level of your home (basement and crawl space).
Thank you! These are some great ideas I've never heard of

OP
Randle Cyclist
I suppose it hinges on whether or not I actually have access to cholestyramine. If I don't, I'll just let my body detoxify on its own and provide support with milk thistle. I have roughly three weeks left here at the maximum. I think I can tough it out. I will be counting down the days, that's for sure. I'll update this thread if there are any new developments.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We put a sump pump in our crawl space and got a dehumidifier. I no longer smell or see visible signs of mold and also feel better. I make a homemade household surface spray with 8 ounces distilled water, 8 ounces white vinegar and 40 drops essential oil (I use lemon but others can be used). I’ve also increased my dusting, mopping and deep cleaning in general. I put 20 drops of essential oil in my toilet tanks monthly as well. We had a ton of mold in there that I wasn’t even aware of and it was shocking.
I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it but Travis Burch has some excellent free information on mold.
Understand Mold | Travis Burch

OP
Randle Cyclist
I'm sorry, I should have painted a better picture of my crawlspace. The sides are covered by stone siding while the front and rear are completely open. Running a dehumidifier there would be folly. It needs a drain to divert the flow of water away from the house. I'd do it but I don't think this old farmhouse can withstand a major foundation shift.

I appreciate the tips, though. I'll try spraying the crawlspace with vinegar and oregano oil. Maybe garlic extract too. Coincidently, I just cleaned out my toilet cistern yesterday and poured bleach in the tank. There was plenty of black mold in there that was making its way into the bowl.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to read through that site this afternoon.

orewashin

Is this the kind of black mold that you're referring to? If so, then pouring in some vinegar and letting it sit should do the trick.

Attachments

• blackmold.png
    blackmold.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

Ken Gartner

I am sorry to hear about your mold situation, Randle. I will caution you about the interaction of MOLD + EMFs (house electrical wiring as well as wireless/cell). We had a serious health collapse three years ago, exactly tied to the moment we moved into a moldy apartment. As my partner became more ill and bed-ridden, while our WIFI and that of other residents bombarded her. She had to move out. Fast forward three years (with no more mold exposure) and she seems to be permanently highly EMF-sensitive now even though she is physically fit. There are known interactions of high cell/wifi signal strength and mold, to produce much more mycotoxins and meanwhile opens up your blood-brain barrier, allowing toxins of various kinds into your nervous system. Merely detoxing with a binder is not going to be enough in this situation, especially if you are genetically predisposed or have other environmental exposures (like mercury load from dental amalgams). I would not recommend you to 'tough it out' based on the possibly permanent dreadful quality of life that can sometimes result (this is what we tried to do -- Bad Idea and one we regret every day). You can look for youtube mold-related videos from Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt (where he tells anecdotes about research that shows 600x more mycotoxin under the stress induced by Wifi/cell) or by a competent Building Biologist such as Nicole Bijlsma or personal tale of mold-induced woe from Dr. Lisa Nagy (look for 'Dr Nagy's Story') The bottom line: I would suggest forgoing the WIFI and CELL signal in the house/apartment until you can move out as another step to increase your chance of full recovery. Best of luck with it.

OP
Randle Cyclist
Is this the kind of black mold that you're referring to? If so, then pouring in some vinegar and letting it sit should do the trick.

No, I don't think it's that and my toilet bowel certainly doesn't look that way since I add bleach to the cistern whenever mold rears its ugly head. The mold test I had done showed a variety of different molds. I suspect Stachybotrys is present even though the test failed to reveal any. What really triggered my symptoms was when I tried to scrub the mold off the ac condenser coils. I felt like a train hit me shortly afterwards.

I think I might pick up some of that concrobium product. Though I suspect what I'm dealing with is lingering mycotoxins since the chemical the mold remediation company used seemed to eliminate the mold growth... At least for the moment.

Ken, thanks for your reply. I unplugged my WiFi router weeks ago and disconnected my Internet service in anticipation of moving. Actually, fire ants got in the signal receiver dish and knocked it out but that's another story. I'm relying strictly on my cell phone for Internet access now. However, I turn it off at night. I will certainly check out the videos you mentioned shortly. After reading your post, as well as the website Blossom linked, I've decided to start sleeping in my truck again.

Despite the remediation, I haven't been able to sleep soundly indoors. I wake up repeatedly throughout the night and awaken in the morning with dry eyes and bloody, congested sinuses. You're right, Ken. It's not worth toughing it out if it means the further deterioration of my health with the potential for permanent damage.

OP
Randle Cyclist
I was actually speaking of the water holding tank behind the toilet. We installed brand new toilets when we moved in 3 years ago.
I know I was addressing the horrific toilet bowel picture that orewashin attached. My toilet cistern has a mold problem like yours did. It's especially prevalent on the lid where it meets the tank. For whatever reason, the previous owner opted not to have an air duct routed to the bathroom so it gets especially stuffy and humid even though I leave the vent fan on with the bathroom door open 24/7. I dread to see what's behind the shower wall since I discovered a leak that's been there since before I purchased the property last year. Apparently the pre-purchase inspector I hired missed it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I know I was addressing the horrific toilet bowel picture that orewashin attached. My toilet cistern has a mold problem like yours did. It's especially prevalent on the lid where it meets the tank. For whatever reason, the previous owner opted not to have an air duct routed to the bathroom so it gets especially stuffy and humid even though I leave the vent fan on with the bathroom door open 24/7. I dread to see what's behind the shower wall since I discovered a leak that's been there since before I purchased the property last year. Apparently the pre-purchase inspector I hired missed it.
I’m so sorry. That sounds truly horrible.

OP
Randle Cyclist
Well by Providence I will soon be far away from this mess of a situation. It has really opened my eyes to the way we build homes in America and the materials we use. Perhaps the two biggest issues are the reliance on drywall and central hvac. I don't recall seeing either when I spent half a year in Italy at various farmhouses. The only place that had a mold issue also had a cheese cave attached to the house, though I don't think the types of mold present were harmful.

I slept in my truck last night and the difference in how I feel this morning is striking. My sinuses are clear and I don't feel groggy. I slept through the night too despite laying on an uncomfortable cargo bed. Maybe I've become overly sensitised to whatever molds are present in the house and can't tolerate being around them even if they're dead.

orewashin

I am sorry to hear about your mold situation, Randle. I will caution you about the interaction of MOLD + EMFs (house electrical wiring as well as wireless/cell). We had a serious health collapse three years ago, exactly tied to the moment we moved into a moldy apartment. As my partner became more ill and bed-ridden, while our WIFI and that of other residents bombarded her. She had to move out. Fast forward three years (with no more mold exposure) and she seems to be permanently highly EMF-sensitive now even though she is physically fit. There are known interactions of high cell/wifi signal strength and mold, to produce much more mycotoxins and meanwhile opens up your blood-brain barrier, allowing toxins of various kinds into your nervous system. Merely detoxing with a binder is not going to be enough in this situation, especially if you are genetically predisposed or have other environmental exposures (like mercury load from dental amalgams). I would not recommend you to 'tough it out' based on the possibly permanent dreadful quality of life that can sometimes result (this is what we tried to do -- Bad Idea and one we regret every day). You can look for youtube mold-related videos from Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt (where he tells anecdotes about research that shows 600x more mycotoxin under the stress induced by Wifi/cell) or by a competent Building Biologist such as Nicole Bijlsma or personal tale of mold-induced woe from Dr. Lisa Nagy (look for 'Dr Nagy's Story') The bottom line: I would suggest forgoing the WIFI and CELL signal in the house/apartment until you can move out as another step to increase your chance of full recovery. Best of luck with it.
Wait a minute, so your house had mold like the kind in Chernobyl that consumes radiation? Or did you have EMF sensitivity that was induced by mold? I'm a bit confused. Long-term exposure to mold mycotoxins can induce an allergy to them, but what does that have to do with wifi signals?

OP
Randle Cyclist
Update: prior to having the house remdiated I moved the majority of my belongings into storage. Big mistake. I visited the storage unit this week and nearly everything was ruined. It's a dry, climate-controlled storage unit as well.

The only things I was able to save are made of glass, ceramic, metal, outdoor items, or thin clothing. There was visible mold growth on many of the boxes. I had a nice Italian bench made of straw; it was covered in dark fuzz.

All my symptoms returned after going through my belongings: nausea, fatigue, sinus issues, brain fog, and memory issues. I would momentarily forget where I was and what I was doing multiple times a day following the exposure. It was very frightening and must be similar to what dementia is like.

I hope my experience helps someone else experiencing toxic mold symptoms. The experts on the subject are right. If remediation doesn't help your symptoms and you choose to move, you must be willing to part with all of your porous belongings. It's not worth your health trying to them. It's just "stuff" after all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals