Mold in the house, but you can’t move- what do you do??

BearWithMe

It was definitely a mistake mentioning the mold, it’s become a running joke in my family. I’ve made a list of peaty jobs that I are possible without much prior job experience. Excel skills seems to be a basic requirement for a lot of the better paid jobs so I’m studying that. Do you think there’s anything else to add?

Lifeguard
Food delivery via bike
Postwoman
Ice cream kiosk worker
working on a farm
Park maintenance worker
Window cleaning technician
waitress
Aaaah, I feel you. When something is messing up your health, and you have real, painful issues, and your surroundings downplay it, jokes about it or even think you are crazy... It is horrible. Even more when your family does that.

A lot of these jobs are very stressful and overtaxing. I like Ice cream kiosk worker the most. Park maintenance worker and farm worker might be also good, but you would be probably handling a lot of toxic chemicals, and/or abusing animals. Lifeguard might be also acceptable, but you need to be physically very strong, and imagine the stress if someone drown and you would not be able to help him or her.

What do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, passions? Future career goals, any dream carrer? How does your education look like at this point?

Do you have any special skills? Are you really good at something?

OP
U

ursidae

Aaaah, I feel you. When something is messing up your health, and you have real, painful issues, and your surroundings downplay it, jokes about it or even think you are crazy... It is horrible. Even more when your family does that.

A lot of these jobs are very stressful and overtaxing. I like Ice cream kiosk worker the most. Park maintenance worker and farm worker might be also good, but you would be probably handling a lot of toxic chemicals, and/or abusing animals. Lifeguard might be also acceptable, but you need to be physically very strong, and imagine the stress if someone drown and you would not be able to help him or her.

What do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, passions? Future career goals, any dream carrer? How does your education look like at this point?

Do you have any special skills? Are you really good at something?
It's mainly because my father doen't get symptoms from mold and before I began to eradicate it my brother was in relatively good health (he had the sinus surgery a year ago and bounced back after it). Against my recommendation my father insisted on taking a shower about 30 minutes after I sprayed it and he didn't get symptoms. I'm more or less fine now
I'll be a 3rd year university student next year, biomedical science. I moved to the Uk for my first year, but due to coronavirus I studied online in my homecountry for 1.5 schoolyears. I'd like to work in a lab in the field I'm studying as long as relocation to a more southern country is possible as the scottish climate is unacceptable to me and I find it's incompatible with good health. I'm good at translation, editing in my native language, graphic drawing, I also tolerate well and enjoy repetitive physical labour in hot weather, I liked the agricultural work I did. There's nothing I'm an expert at but I can improve my computer and driving skills and I think these will be of use in a future job. The living costs of studying abroad are indeed high so I'll need to start work when I move to scotland. And I'd just like to have some extra money as often times you need to live very frugally if you want to keep your expenses reasonable while having an organic and nutrient dense diet, quality supplements, a good water and air filter, natural fabric clothes, a good place to rent and some sort of social life

OP
U

ursidae

Mold toxins are possibly one of the mildest challenges that her body is going to endure in the near future. To fit in as freshman, on the first fraternity party she'll be already breaking a cup noodles week and 48 hours without sleep chugging half a liter of vodka, held upside down and waking up later on an alcoholic vomit puddle that's extracting whatever is on the floor, including such toxins.

I would think that the person is a moron, but the fact that I'm one is only a coincidence, there's no encouragement to meditate on mold and ruminate on how bad it is all day long. Keeping oneself occupied working towards a goal should naturally reduce unnecessary exposure.

You don't know what she eats, how she lives, her history, the severity of the contamination, not even her sex. It may be argued that none of it makes a difference for what you're proposing, but how is it possible to weigh the pros and cons without knowing the context? For example, you're assuming that moving right away is the solution, but what if she rushes out of her home in conflict with family, with them being responsible for financing soon her expensive education abroad, spending more than she can afford on a problematic accomodation, discovering new issues at her new place without complete relief of her former symptoms, finding herself in a position of having to accept offers with little criteria, getting distracted from her life projects, the stress of moving without planning leads to a chaotic situation that deteriorates health (she was recently in a 'pretty bad health state', got to be mindful), having to return home meekly, discredited and with her confidence shaken.

Anyway, supporting $ulfur metabolism is important to counteract these toxins. NOW Foods has an acetylcysteine [I know (Terma, 2020)] product containing selenemium and morbydenum, I would consider something along these lines and upping them. Including pyridoxine and consuming these nutrients with collagen isn't a bad idea.
- Deficient Glutathione in the Pathophysiology of Mycotoxin-Related Illness
Im not a first year I dont drink. I agree that brash decisions are bad. At the same time though I need to gradually work on relying on myself because I realize being financially dependent on others is a precarious situation to be in

I'm currently taking TTFD and Elliot overton claims those on it need to support gluthatione so I got r-5-p, Swanson's Selenomethionine and bisglycinate forms of mineral supplements (magnesium, zinc), and consumed certain foods for molybdenum. I noticed swanson has L-S-methylselenocysteine but didn't buy that one. The now NAC is cheap I can get it. Should I tone it down a bit with the TTFD then?

Last edited:

BearWithMe

You've been tapering off the frightening tone of your posts..
Nope, I'm just saying that you can leave your parents' house ASAP without behaving irresponsibly and / or like a horrible person.

It looks a bit like you are projecting your past experiences into my posts.

I'm sorry you was unable to leave your parents house on good terms, or that your attempt to become independent and make your own living failed, but that doesn't mean other people can't succesfully do it

BearWithMe

It's mainly because my father doen't get symptoms from mold and before I began to eradicate it my brother was in relatively good health (he had the sinus surgery a year ago and bounced back after it). Against my recommendation my father insisted on taking a shower about 30 minutes after I sprayed it and he didn't get symptoms. I'm more or less fine now
I'll be a 3rd year university student next year, biomedical science. I moved to the Uk for my first year, but due to coronavirus I studied online in my homecountry for 1.5 schoolyears. I'd like to work in a lab in the field I'm studying as long as relocation to a more southern country is possible as the scottish climate is unacceptable to me and I find it's incompatible with good health. I'm good at translation, editing in my native language, graphic drawing, I also tolerate well and enjoy repetitive physical labour in hot weather, I liked the agricultural work I did. There's nothing I'm an expert at but I can improve my computer and driving skills and I think these will be of use in a future job. The living costs of studying abroad are indeed high so I'll need to start work when I move to scotland. And I'd just like to have some extra money as often times you need to live very frugally if you want to keep your expenses reasonable while having an organic and nutrient dense diet, quality supplements, a good water and air filter, natural fabric clothes, a good place to rent and some sort of social life
Wait a minute. You are educated and competent young woman with pretty unique and valued skillset.

Why on earth are you thinking that you would not be able to get a good, well payed job?

Why are you even thinking about working as a postwoman or waitress when you actually do have skills to get much better job?

BearWithMe

OP
U

ursidae

I just want to deliver letters on my bike

please end this thread.

BearWithMe

I just want to deliver letters on my bike

please end this thread.
Wait, wait, wait... Were you always like that? Was this always your life goal? When you enrolled for the uni, did you just wanted to deliver letters on your bike?

Amazoniac

Im not a first year I dont drink. I agree that brash decisions are bad. At the same time though I need to gradually work on relying on myself because I realize being financially dependent on others is a precarious situation to be in

I'm currently taking TTFD and Elliot overton claims those on it need to support gluthatione so I got r-5-p, Swanson's Selenomethionine and bisglycinate forms of mineral supplements (magnesium, zinc), and consumed certain foods for molybdenum. I noticed swanson has L-S-methylselenocysteine but didn't buy that one. The now NAC is cheap I can get it. Should I tone it down a bit with the TTFD then?
My posts have been to take wise action rather than impulsive leaps dictated solely by Aspergillus. Alarmist people tend to be detrimental for those who are facing a challenge. You won't find a good professional that deals with emergency calls instilling terror, they calm the person down to help in making the best decision.

Do you suspect to have a weak liver or compromised mucosal barrier?
The nutrients have to be adjusted according to how much you're consuming and utilizing. I remember a thread where you mentioned issues with insufficient stomach acid, so, not enough cysteine is a possibility. It's not necessary to keep taking it, a brief use has diagnostic value. Having it isolated is better to avoid confounders.

- An Evolutionary-Based Framework for Analyzing Mold and Dampness-Associated Symptoms in DMHS

From experience, transdermal tocoinphernals with menacetrenone can curb exaggerated responses.

Nope, I'm just saying that you can leave your parents' house ASAP without behaving irresponsibly and / or like a horrible person.

I'm sorry you was unable to leave your parents house on good terms, or that your attempt to become independent and make your own living failed, but that doesn't mean other people can't succesfully do it
That came after. Implying that avoiding mold is something worth at all costs, mentioning that relatives are deranged from it and the same is about to happen if she doesn't leave 'ASAP', that she 'will die poor and terribly sick', it 'will be inevitable' if she doesn't move out, and that she has to do something 'immediately while she still can'. If you consider these appropriate and can't conceive how the frightening tone can misguide, I think it explains why we're going in circles.

NAC is not recommended unless you are treating something serious (like OCD).
It messes with the gut lining, ruins blood brain barrier, ruins lungs, damages heart, increases cortisol, stops autophagy. Not worth the risks.

One Type Of Antioxidant May Not Be As Safe As Once Thought

Starvation-induced autophagy is regulated by mitochondrial reactive oxygen species leading to AMPK activation. - PubMed - NCBI
Comments of this kind are usually from people that consume protein in excess, they're probably eating grams of cysteine and never experienced what it feels like to run low on it, its shortage is also damaging to those organs. Why do you think that experimental diets include cysteine in their formulation when caseid is used, to harm animals? We can start looking for what can go wrong and reasons to justify not using any nutrient, each one has caveats, consider cobalamin or even nicotinamide. There are prudent ways of doing it and means to prevent adversities. Alternatives that don't require people to take synthetic, purified stuff are available, whey is an example. Also, if the person doesn't respond well, the reaction isn't tricky and difficult to interpret.

While it's possible to circumvent and attempt to spare cysteine with taurine and sulfate, when tolerated, the parent compound has the advantage of supplying preformed cysteine for glutathione production without relying on homocysteine conversion, if others factors involved are covered, it allows the body to decide how it's better to distribute them.

BearWithMe

[...] You won't find a good professional that deals with emergency calls instilling terror, they calm the person down to help in making the best decision. [...]
That's very true. She is not freaking out, tho. Quite the opposite.

I'll share a little personal anecdote about mold exposure. I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

I have spent 5 years in moldy house. I have had pretty amazing life before moving in. I have owned 6 figure business, was working with very high profile clients, had amazing family and loyal friends.

During first two years in that house, I have lost all my clients and went bankrupt, because I have half-assed everything, did not followed deadlines, and generally did not cared about quality of my work. Also, I have lost my friends. My family started to hate me because I was doing horrible things.

I did not realized I'm doing anything wrong at the time. I thought the other people are a****les for leaving me. My life was rotting like that for another three years and I had no motivation to do anything about it. I just did not cared about anything at all. I was aware about the mold and its effects (was reading a lot of Erik Johnson and Lissa Rankin at the time), but did not cared.

Then my wife, who loved me to death for 15 years, finally become fed up with me and left. That was the final blow I needed to scrap some motivation and do something.

I have moved out and fixed my health. As I was slowly becoming more and more sane, I was absolutely horrified with the things I have done. I refused to believe I'm capable of such things. It was like some evil demon possesed my soul and forced me to do this.

I was on verge of suicide because I thought I will never be able to live anymore knowing what I have done.

So yeah, people stuck in learned helplessness doesn't need to be calmed down. They need a huge kick in the ****, otherwise they will never ever do anything and rot alive.

I'm grateful to my wife for leaving because she literally saved my life. I'm 100% sure I would be dead (or in prison) if she wasn't left.

We are back together and happy now, btw.

Last edited:

akgrrrl

I'll share a little personal anecdote about mold exposure. I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

I have spent 5 years in moldy house. I have had pretty amazing life before moving in. I have owned 6 figure business, was working with very high profile clients, had amazing family and loyal friends.

During first two years in that house, I have lost all my clients and went bankrupt, because I have half-assed everything, did not followed deadlines, and generally did not cared about quality of my work. Also, I have lost my friends. My family started to hate me because I was doing horrible things.

I did not realized I'm doing anything wrong at the time. I thought the other people are a****les for leaving me. My life was rotting like that for another three years and I had no motivation to do anything about it. I just did not cared about anything at all. I was aware about the mold and its effects (was reading a lot of Erik Johnson and Lissa Rankin at the time), but did not cared.

Then my wife, who loved me to death for 15 years, finally become fed up with me and left. That was the final blow I needed to scrap some motivation and do something.

I have moved out and fixed my health. As I was slowly becoming more and more sane, I was absolutely horrified with the things I have done. I refused to believe I'm capable of such things. It was like some evil demon possesed my soul and forced me to do this.

I was on verge of suicide because I thought I will never be able to live anymore knowing what I have done.

So yeah, people stuck in learned helplessness doesn't need to be calmed down. They need a huge kick in the ****, otherwise they will never ever do anything and rot alive.

I'm grateful to my wife for leaving because she literally saved my life. I'm 100% sure I would be dead (or in prison) if she wasn't left.

We are back together and happy now, btw.
I also experienced a long term insanity. It took me just over 2years to observe the once capable woman immersed in community development, networking legislative contacts and grant writing, building my own house, gardening and having loving friends and pets...I stopped reading completely, dropped the ball on my projects, and argued with anyone over anything. I cried every day, felt completely helpless in the wake of any single obstacle, and gained 60lbs after a lifetime of athleticism. After the insurance claim adjuster came, I was moved to a rental while the house was scrubbed. My upper sinus was infested with mold colony and I had never been so miserable. The itching alone was crazymaking. I developed masses in the maxillary cavity and had surgery to remove, which, I can truthfully assess after having had forearm bone replacement, wrist rebuilds, 3knee surgeries and misc other surgeries, it was the most painful, soul searing procedure and recovery ever. It took me 5 years afterwards to overcome that chapter. There was no picking up where I left off, my previous life was destroyed.The relationships went by the wayside, as apologies and attempts at explanation were useless. I had to reinvent myself completely. 7 years I will never get back.

Amazoniac

Are you sure that I'm the one projecting past experiences?

The logic isn't to alarm a stranger that is already aware and worried when little is known about the case. I can now understand where you and akgirl are coming from, but why not share the story straight away? The readers can then extract what's relevant for their case, waking up the call will only occur if the person relates while not perturbing when it doesn't apply.

- Fungal pollution of indoor environments and its management (Ergosterol + UV = Venom ☠)

"A person may get sensitized to fungal spores while cleaning hence well fitted particulate mask with 1 μm particle retention should be used (Gage-White, 1998)."​

OP
U

ursidae

I don’t know if I have compromised mucosal barriers. I remember now that I didn’t buy the selenocysteine because a relative of mine has pretty high homocysteine and acne sufferers have it to. I assume making sure to not be deficient in folate and b6 matters. I like to experiment with any supplements so I’m willing to jump on any supplement train that can improve my chronic low stomach acid

I’m moved to live with other family members for now. I don’t know how long this will be, they travel back and forth quite a bit and I always have conflicts with them. I’d rather stop sharing details of my life as it’s endlessly complicated but there’s other concerns I have about being here long term. But the location is great, more than great. I’ll have to do household and agricultural work here to justify my stay and I’m fine with that. I like to do it. I still intend to build up job skills in my spare time.

by the way I grew up alternating between two different moldy apartments as my living space. I did grow up with episodes of low motivation to the point of insanity, unstable emotions, poor cognition, nasal allergies, mouth breathing. By episodes I mean years with some weeks of relief. I don’t know if it was a mold playing a role in my life failures, physical and cognitive inferiority to my peers and mouth-breather face the whole time, that removes a lot of personal responsibility from me on the motivation part. And if it’s true it’s too maddening to think about.
that’s enough personal $hit for now.

animalcule

I don’t know if I have compromised mucosal barriers. I remember now that I didn’t buy the selenocysteine because a relative of mine has pretty high homocysteine and acne sufferers have it to. I assume making sure to not be deficient in folate and b6 matters. I like to experiment with any supplements so I’m willing to jump on any supplement train that can improve my chronic low stomach acid

I’m moved to live with other family members for now. I don’t know how long this will be, they travel back and forth quite a bit and I always have conflicts with them. I’d rather stop sharing details of my life as it’s endlessly complicated but there’s other concerns I have about being here long term. But the location is great, more than great. I’ll have to do household and agricultural work here to justify my stay and I’m fine with that. I like to do it. I still intend to build up job skills in my spare time.

by the way I grew up alternating between two different moldy apartments as my living space. I did grow up with episodes of low motivation to the point of insanity, unstable emotions, poor cognition, nasal allergies, mouth breathing. By episodes I mean years with some weeks of relief. I don’t know if it was a mold playing a role in my life failures, physical and cognitive inferiority to my peers and mouth-breather face the whole time, that removes a lot of personal responsibility from me on the motivation part. And if it’s true it’s too maddening to think about.
that’s enough personal $hit for now.

Can I ask for an update? How are you doing? Did your symptoms improve when you left for uni?

FitnessMike

Borax (laundry additive, 20 Mule team) dissolves in water, diffuses up, down, all around and into any continuous wet surface or material.
will boric acid work too?

GTW

Borax laundry cleaning\additive is readily available and relatively cheap. Boric acid less so.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I know someone who told me a mold remediation guy told them to use Borax.