Mold in the house, but you can’t move- what do you do??

akgrrrl

Set it on fire, insurance buys a new house ?? ;-)
In retrospect, I wish that I had council before I filed a claim. Yes.
But, to be fair, that was before Katrina wherein a large body of humans were warehoused similarly in a big sports arena, and suffered similarly over a 7yr period afterwards, which prompted studies and analysis.
But yeah.

OP
U

ursidae

So the place I’m at currently is not as bad as the place I came from, because at least it doesn’t need 2 months of renovation to remodel the insulation and tear down and replace the rotting wood. There is a substantial dark coloured mold growing on the tiles in the bathroom and I sprayed it, and got a dehumidifier. The material is similar to marble. Even though the exhaust fan switch is constantly on, the dehumidifier device continues to collect additional water. I’m going to have them working perpetually, though everyone wants me to remove the dehumidifier because “it’s annoying”. There must be some kind of water damage causing this humidity. My eyes and nasal lining are already getting itchy, I got a small red bump on my neck, and I woke up with a blocked nose. I’m going to stay outside during the day. My family thinks I’m crazy even though my brother developed sinusitis here that required surgery. Hopefully I can arrange to be out of here in a week, but it’s not going to be easy

S-VV

FFP2 mask while sleeping? Its gonna suck big time, but better than inhaling spores

OP
U

ursidae

Lol they removed the dehumidifier. There is nothing worse than living with people that are impossible to reason with and arguing DAY IN DAY OUT

equipoise

You have to work on getting yourself out of that apartment, which you already know. It's not an easy task to do, but far from impossible.
Conserve your energy by avoiding getting into arguments with daft people, keep calm and collected.
While you're still there, the FFP2 mask as per S-VV's suggestion is a good idea. Progesterone / thyroid are very protective. Get out of the house as much as possible.

PxD

Lol they removed the dehumidifier. There is nothing worse than living with people that are impossible to reason with and arguing DAY IN DAY OUT
Are you renting? Isn’t mold one of those things that a landlord has to remedy or you can terminate the lease? Where I live this would be a serious issue.

GTW

Borax (laundry additive, 20 Mule team) dissolves in water, diffuses up, down, all around and into any continuous wet surface or material.

OP
U

ursidae

Are you renting? Isn’t mold one of those things that a landlord has to remedy or you can terminate the lease? Where I live this would be a serious issue.
No I live with family members

akgrrrl

Get out. Get out. Sounds like big colonies behind the wall, maybe in the framing...spores floating around creating more on interior hard surfaces. I would rather be in a tent.

BearWithMe

Move.

Seriously.

There is no "you can't".

Mold and mycotoxins can't be eliminated. Actually the more you try, the more toxic they become.

I'd rather live under a bridge or in a car than in moldy house.

GTW

In my own house mold from leaking roof was stopped by borax and exposed surfaces after wetting/sprayed with borax no longer spread spores. Between the idealistic but unrealistic options, get out or rebuild...

BearWithMe

Isn't it interesting that every time someone with moldy house pops up on the forum, the person is 100% convinced he or she can't move no matter what?

The damn thing affect our brains and minds in way we can't even imagine, and we are not aware about it until we get out of its influence.

Last edited:
OP
U

ursidae

Isn't it interesting that every time someone with moldy house pops up on the forum, the person is 100% convinced he or she can't move no matter what?

The damn thing affect our brains and minds in way we can't even imagine, and we are not aware about it until we get out of ist influence.
I am 20, don't have money or a job. The type of job I can get will not pay enough for me to rent somewhere. I don't even think I can sleep in a car because I don't own one and my parents would just put me in a mental institution if I started sleeping in their cars

Totally agree. Living with people you don't want to live with is probably one of the worst effects of poverty/ a less-than-ideal financial situation.

akgrrrl

Totally agree. Living with people you don't want to live with is probably one of the worst effects of poverty/ a less-than-ideal financial situation.
Very salient point.
Some of us left THE DAY we could legally be on our own.
Some of us worked since age 16 saving up $20 here and there at every job without useless judgement of how far a job would get us, to buy the beater car that got us to the next stop.

BearWithMe

Very salient point.
Some of us left THE DAY we could legally be on our own.
Some of us worked since age 16 saving up $20 here and there at every job without useless judgement of how far a job would get us, to buy the beater car that got us to the next stop.
This. This x1000.

BearWithMe

That's because they are sick and their brains are deranged by mold exposure. A cautionary tale why you should move out ASAP.

BearWithMe

Actually this is a great situation for you OP.

At this point, you literally HAVE TO shatter your false limiting belief that you can't get a better job and move out, otherwise you literally die terribly sick. I'm not exaggerating here.

It is like imaginary pistol to your head, that will (hopefully) force you to do something with your current situation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals